Raspberry Advice Please

shacky

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I want to setup up dedicated server for my Logitech Squeezebox system - I have 2 SQB's one in LR and one in office. I've been doing double jump from my laptop and have been having too many troubles. When I hook up my laptop to wifi router it works perfect.

So how would I setup a Rasberry Pi to accomplish same? I have a NAS I can use or a USD HD. I'm fairly computer savvy but not that great. And I want to maintain Logitech SQB with control via iPeng.

A Raspberry Pi will work perfectly and is cheap. Install Raspian OS, install Logitech Media Server then plug in RPi to your wireless router. Setup LMS to use either your USB HDD, which I imagine will be plugged into the RPi, or your NAS, that is up to you.

Check out Max2Play. It's a plug and play setup for raspberry pi focused on Squeezebox functionality.

Pretty much the same way.

I replace a Touch with an RPi in the garage using piCorePlayer and sounds better. It runs on my LMS based system very well. I too, am an iPeng user. :)

Check out Max2Play. It's a plug and play setup for raspberry pi focused on Squeezebox functionality.

+1 to this.
I have a SB classic hooked up to my main system and a SB radio in the kitchen. LMS is running on a Pi via Max2Play, connected to my router. Music is on a USB HD plugged into the Pi.
Max2Play is pretty easy to set up... you might run into a few issues due to instructions being badly translated from German. I'm happy to help if needed.
Runs beautifully, all controlled by iPeng.

Now that there are Raspberry choices, which one? Raspberry Pi3, Raspberry 83something.....

I picked up a SB from another AKer and it's still in the box......

Now that there are Raspberry choices, which one? Raspberry Pi3, Raspberry 83something.....

I picked up a SB from another AKer and it's still in the box......
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is the newest board and is the one you want.

My PI 3 is on his way. I planned to plug my usb HD and use runeaudio. Any thought on Runeaudio? The fact that I can use my cellphone to control it is a big plus.

My first goal is to use a usb drive with a usb dac to listen to music. Is it easy to setup raspian?

I like the idea if retro gaming console for the kids. I'll look at this.

Last edited:
My first goal us to usb drive with a usb dac to listen to music. Is it easy to setup raspian?

I like the idea if retro gaming console for the kids. I'll look at this.
Yes it is easy to setup. Download NOOBS from the RPi website. A 10 year old can do it.

I have used Retropie and it is very good if you like the old video and arcade games. It also makes a great Kodi box.

You may want to look into PiCorePlayer. It is a very small OS that turns the RPi into a server (LMS) and a player (Squeezelite). Also very easy to set up and it enables you to use the Pi as a server only, a player only or both. It basically turns your pi into a headless Squeezebox.

Last edited:
I have a rpi 3 and zero w.

OpenElec for media center (with myth tv backend on server) The Rpi3 recently replaced a veteran WD live tv box.
Raspian for desktop
Retropie for games
Flightaware + RTL-SDR for ADS-B

The zero w is headless. I VNC into it. It was dedicated to ADS-B but I have been using it to rip LPs from the Adcom system. I use Audacity and a Behringer usb sound interface.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom