What was the last movie you watched?

Once Upon A Time In Venice

I have no idea why I rented this and I don't know how I sat through it in its entirety. Some stuff is so bad it is good. This is just not good. You can thank me that you didn't make the same mistake.

MV5BMDUwZTZjN2YtMTcwNy00YjZiLWExOWMtODU4ZGZhZWY0MTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Once Upon A Time In Venice

I have no idea why I rented this and I don't know how I sat through it in its entirety. Some stuff is so bad it is good. This is just not good. You can thank me that you didn't make the same mistake.

MV5BMDUwZTZjN2YtMTcwNy00YjZiLWExOWMtODU4ZGZhZWY0MTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Thank you.

The name "Bruce Willis" would have tipped me off right from the get-go. Not my cup of tea as far as acting skills go (or lack thereof).

JMHO.

Thank you.

The name "Bruce Willis" would have tipped me off right from the get-go. Not my cup of tea as far as acting skills go (or lack thereof).

JMHO.
I went through a period where I wouldn't watch any movie starring Willis. He did somewhat redeem himself. I can't recommend 'Venice'. Not at all. It's mostly down to the story. Willis, I feel, did his best to make the most of what was here but you can't make gold out of shit. Even the dog didn't evoke my sympathy.

I kept reflecting while watching this movie, that with a certain herb being legalised in certain US states, the cynical movie industry was producing movies 'aimed' at this target market. Not that the target market was stupid, just that they were perceived to be of a particular type and stupid type movies were aimed at them. I can't shake the feeling that this movie was aimed at this market. I can't remember a single incidence of cannabis consumption being depicted in this movie. I also might be off-base in that assessment.

"The Beat Generation" (1959) B&W Cinemascope.

This really has nothing much to do with Beats, they are mostly just there for comic relief (mission accomplished).
Louie Armstrong makes an appearance as himself playing in a Nightclub.

A Serial Rapist preys on married Women, including the wife of a Police Detective.
There's a Beat Coffee Shop with lots of Beat Stereotypes who stare off into space while listening to bad poetry (Maila Nurmi a.k.a. Vampira makes an appearance).

This film is both tense and serious, and campy and ridiculous. I liked it a lot :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MV5BMzNiNjcyMTgtNWFlMC00ZDdkLTk3YmUtNTYwYzcxNzNhOGZiL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUzNTQ3NDA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Had a rough week, so needed something to get me back on an even keel.. Someone had to pay.... Bad Guys had to pay. Body count...... that always does it. :) So, I watched:

John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
The Expendables

They delivered what I was looking for, in spades. Lots and lots of bad guys getting what they so richly deserved, in creative and satisfying ways. Cinematic masterpieces? Not quite. Stellar acting performances? Err..... no.
But - if you kill my dog and steal my car, just wait and see what happens to you and yours. :D

A Monster Calls - Very good movie with lots of deep meaning and lessons to learn. I think someone ripped off on Tree Beard from The Hobbit - Lord of the Rings tho :)

Saw two movies this weekend: "Mr. Turner" and "Dunkirk". "Dunkirk" was gripping; I'll make comments in that thread. "Mr. Turner" was not. Apparently Mr. Turner was a gifted painter whose family life, relationships with women and career were very uneven. I usually like independent and historical films but this just wasn't that well done.

Bonnie and Clyde. Going to the theater to see the 50th anniversary showing of this classic in a few hours from now. Theater seating has just been converted to the Barcaloungers! ;)

How was it?

After seeing your post yesterday I pulled my copy off the shelf last night and gave it a spin.
I've seen it numerous times but it never gets old. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Always great to see these classics on the big screen, even better with the new Barcalounger seating. I wanted to slap Blanche for her damn screeching, though! Lol.

watched "Logan" over the weekend, (allegedly) the last of the Huge Jackman Wolverine films ...
I'm kind of a comic book fan from the lat 60s and 70s, and this film take Wolverine and Professor X in the future, 2029,
when mutants are all gone and those two old friends are staying out of view and low key ...but aging badly and wearing out.
An R rated film of course language and not for the kiddies ... and too long at over 2 1/2 hours,
Its a hard watch in many places ...
I was glad I saw it, tho its not one I'll buy a copy of - I don't see it as something to watch repeatedly.

"Desk Set" (1957)

Smart, sophisticated comedy with Hepburn & Tracy. The chemistry between H&T is terrific, the dialog is superb as are the performances.

Streaming on Netflix in a beautiful 2:35 Cinemascope print.

Sicario
For once the female lead was a real character, not a superhero. No preaching either. It was like the reality in the drug enforcement/letter agency mashup that actually exists. Worth a watch.

T2-Trainspotting,
a nice development of the characters and a lifetime since we saw them.
Still has the wry sense of humour and pathos.
Enjoyed immensely.

Back
Top Bottom