Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Nothing so grand has ever graced my hand. Still, that old Craftsman was priceless to me, an old friend. Now, a new head, and hand, and heart, will treasure it, hopefully long after I shuffle off. I have every confidence.

I think my father would approve.

Once again you have proved yourself to be a good man Ernie. Your young friend sure sounds like a worthy recipient of your confidence and your heartwarming generosity.

Good choice with the Griptilian too.

Y'all gon' make me blush.

Seriously, throughout my life, no matter what might go awry, I have been blessed, countless times, by having people come into my life, who have made my life rich. Every one of them, for a reason. Sometimes the lesson is mine to learn, other times, to teach. On lucky days, it is just pure joy of the heart. Like this day. I swear to you that I got more from the giving, than he did from the receiving. I got to see through my father's eyes, through the very same knife, treasured memories of the long-ago day, rushing to the fore. I understand him a little better. He is still teaching me, though he has been gone for ten years.

Every day we have the opportunity to be a blessing to someone, if only we are watching for the opportunity. Listen to your heart, and you will not go far wrong.

I think you are right about the Mini-Griptilian. It rests easy in my hand, and seems like it is just 'right' for me. Working it open is almost automatic, already. The shape of the blade suits my eye. It seems a bit strange to carry a knife that I bought, but I'll get over that.

Down the road, someone will get a fine blade.

The recent nostalgic tone of this thread has prompted me to pocket my first-ever knife, given to me by my Grandfather when I was about 8 years old. Still amazed that it`s still around....
Best wishes and respect to all who have participated in this thread, we share a common bond....

upload_2017-8-10_2-0-18.png

My Craftsman "Old Timer" found its way into the hands of a young man, almost 15, the son of my very good friend. The knife originally was given to me by my father, when I was about 10 or 11. This young man is a worthy recipient of this significant-to-me, though otherwise ordinary, knife. We were golfing, and came upon a box turtle, beside a pond, just in front of the teebox. Some inconsiderate bastard had thrown the plastic from his 6-pack of beer, where it was found by the hapless turtle. Poor fellow managed to get it looped around his neck, and front leg, and could not get free. I pulled out my trusted knife, and with two quick flicks of the sheepsfoot blade, the offending litter was removed, and the little guy was free. My young friend was pleased, but amazed. "You carry a knife? All the time?" I told him that, as a young boy, I watched my father use his own well-worn folder for everything and anything, and that he gave me this knife, when I was young. I carried that knife for more than fifty years. He realized how much it meant to me, and his jaw fell open when I handed it to him, and said, "This knife has served me well for as long as I can remember. Now, it is yours. Respect it, and it will serve you well." His eyes were wide, and he looked like he just pulled Excalibur from its stone. When we got back to his house, his father tried to make him give it back to me. The young man would not. He said, "Uncle Ernie gave me this knife, that he got from his father. He honours me with the gift. My duty is to honour him by keeping it safe, and sharp, hopefully for another 50 years, or more." My friend, a native Serb, looked at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, "I have been worried that my son was too Canadian, but I see that he understands about honour. Truly, he has a Serbian heart. Thank you for helping me see that."

When I left their house, the young man shook my hand firmly, and looked in my eyes, while he thanked me. He understands, and so do I.

Got a Mini-Griptilian today, as a replacement EDC. It has a very good 'feel', and I think I'm going to like it. I expect it will outlive me. View attachment 981615 (Borrowed image from web.)

Very similar to mine, except for the serrations. I love almost everything about this knife except for the fact that, after you carry it for a while, the clip invariably comes loose and to re-tighten it you need a torx driver.

IMG_0996.JPG

Y'all gon' make me blush.

Seriously, throughout my life, no matter what might go awry, I have been blessed, countless times, by having people come into my life, who have made my life rich. Every one of them, for a reason. Sometimes the lesson is mine to learn, other times, to teach. On lucky days, it is just pure joy of the heart. Like this day. I swear to you that I got more from the giving, than he did from the receiving. I got to see through my father's eyes, through the very same knife, treasured memories of the long-ago day, rushing to the fore. I understand him a little better. He is still teaching me, though he has been gone for ten years.

Every day we have the opportunity to be a blessing to someone, if only we are watching for the opportunity. Listen to your heart, and you will not go far wrong.

Words to live by.

Hey
Good thing Benchmade sells a torx head toolkit.
I just can't seem to find mine.
On a separate subject. Has anybody ever sent a Benchmade back to be sharpened/serviced? I'm a thinking the afck I carry daily has a stripped screw. Eric

My Craftsman "Old Timer" found its way into the hands of a young man, almost 15, the son of my very good friend. The knife originally was given to me by my father, when I was about 10 or 11. This young man is a worthy recipient of this significant-to-me, though otherwise ordinary, knife. We were golfing, and came upon a box turtle, beside a pond, just in front of the teebox. Some inconsiderate bastard had thrown the plastic from his 6-pack of beer, where it was found by the hapless turtle. Poor fellow managed to get it looped around his neck, and front leg, and could not get free. I pulled out my trusted knife, and with two quick flicks of the sheepsfoot blade, the offending litter was removed, and the little guy was free. My young friend was pleased, but amazed. "You carry a knife? All the time?" I told him that, as a young boy, I watched my father use his own well-worn folder for everything and anything, and that he gave me this knife, when I was young. I carried that knife for more than fifty years. He realized how much it meant to me, and his jaw fell open when I handed it to him, and said, "This knife has served me well for as long as I can remember. Now, it is yours. Respect it, and it will serve you well." His eyes were wide, and he looked like he just pulled Excalibur from its stone. When we got back to his house, his father tried to make him give it back to me. The young man would not. He said, "Uncle Ernie gave me this knife, that he got from his father. He honours me with the gift. My duty is to honour him by keeping it safe, and sharp, hopefully for another 50 years, or more." My friend, a native Serb, looked at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, "I have been worried that my son was too Canadian, but I see that he understands about honour. Truly, he has a Serbian heart. Thank you for helping me see that."

When I left their house, the young man shook my hand firmly, and looked in my eyes, while he thanked me. He understands, and so do I.

Got a Mini-Griptilian today, as a replacement EDC. It has a very good 'feel', and I think I'm going to like it. I expect it will outlive me. View attachment 981615 (Borrowed image from web.)

That's a great story, very touching. He sounds like a fine young man. It's also a fine thing that you recognized that.

-Dave

Hey
Good thing Benchmade sells a torx head toolkit.
I just can't seem to find mine.
On a separate subject. Has anybody ever sent a Benchmade back to be sharpened/serviced? I'm a thinking the afck I carry daily has a stripped screw. Eric

They only make folding knives to support their torx-head tool business.

Hey
If the toolkit thing don't work out ,maybe they could have a small level of success in knife making. Eric

Last edited:
The recent nostalgic tone of this thread has prompted me to pocket my first-ever knife, given to me by my Grandfather when I was about 8 years old. Still amazed that it`s still around....
Best wishes and respect to all who have participated in this thread, we share a common bond....

View attachment 982972

This Reminds me of My Old Timer I got from My Dad.........I Miss My Dad.

SC-8OTB-small.jpg

,Mike. :smoke:

Have you guys ever watched the Reality TV show, 'Forged in Fire'.

It's like Project Runway or Great British Bake-off, except for knife and sword makers. Each week four (I think) smiths compete by making three different blades.

I have to say I find it weirdly addictive.

Hey
I might of seen it once or twice. ;)
It will keel. That guy is cool, the other judges while very knowledgeable sometimes grate on me. Maybe have guest judges.
Some of the crazy weapons they build at their home forges gets me.But I guess making a different weapon every episode would be a stress. Eric

Hey
I might of seen it once or twice. ;)
It will keel. That guy is cool, the other judges while very knowledgeable sometimes grate on me. Maybe have guest judges.
Some of the crazy weapons they build at their home forges gets me.But I guess making a different weapon every episode would be a stress. Eric

YES! "It will KEEL." I love that dude.

Have you guys ever watched the Reality TV show, 'Forged in Fire'.

It's like Project Runway or Great British Bake-off, except for knife and sword makers. Each week four (I think) smiths compete by making three different blades.

I have to say I find it weirdly addictive.

This is my friend Ryu Lim....he was a Forged In Fire Champion pretty early in the show`s history. He grew up working in several blacksmith forges in his native Philippines. He has excellent metalworking skills !

upload_2017-8-11_14-46-0.png

I find Forged in Fire one of the best shows of it's type on the "tube". I've grown up with a knife of some sort in my pocket and enjoy getting a view into how they are hand made. Having spent the larger part of my life being left handed, with thirty five plus years of that as a finish carpenter, I've got a great deal of complaint with tool makers for trying to convert me to being right handed. Some years ago a good friend gave me a Tidioute 1095 carbon steel Left handed single blade pocket knife. Unlike a left handed monkey wrench this knife is truly left hand oriented, takes a keen edge and holds it. Over the years I've found a few lefty tools but none so handy as to be able to open your pocket knife without having to think about.

...I love almost everything about this knife except for the fact that, after you carry it for a while, the clip invariably comes loose and to re-tighten it you need a torx driver.
The fellow who sold me mine warned me about that. I have the correct driver bit for my 1/4" hex driver. I took the screws out, and gave them a tiny drop of purple Loctite 222. That is the one that is low-strength, for small fasteners, and is ideal for this job. Of course, now that I have it safe, I'm wondering if there is a 'deep-carry' clip. Knives are as bad as audio.

Oh, and I'm considering braiding a short lanyard out of some 1/8" leather lacing, with a carved wooden bead. Or silk cord with a netsuke.

Back
Top Bottom