Beginner Receiver Purchase - So Many Things to Think About, your thoughts

Ikura

Hello everyone, Sorry for the wall of text but here I sit feeling a little more lost now that I did some homework.

I am looking to pickup 2 receivers (Basement and bedroom), one now and one later when i get more funds. Both will play LP's and FM Rock n Roll. I have read the articles for "best receivers under $100.00" and there are so many options listed most all priced over to well over $100 each. Now I know I am really late to the part but was hoping to put a list of 2-3 receivers to look for over CL or ebay (he says hesitantly).

I have 2 modern receivers that are powerful but no fun, they will be turned into cash soon. I brought a The Fisher Model 201 on ebay listed as all working but came with the A/B Right hand side speakers not working no matter what I tried. Seller was nice to give me most refund and let me keep the unit but may sell as is for cash for new unit. Also have a Lafayette 1500TA, nice unit but the glass needs to be replaced and I have not found replacement parts yet. will sell last and use for now as it is a nice unit.

So about what is out there on eBay or CL now. CL has a Realistic STA-78 for 50.00, a Heathkit 1214 85.00 (I know nothing about this company) and a Sansui 4900z for 99.00. Then there are the auction Sherwoods (S7100/S7100A/7200 and Realistic STA-52B, STA-72, STA-80, even a few 2xxx models around 100.00.

My wonder is, do I aim for the lower Realistic or Sherwoods in nicer condition or try to get a something better in "good" condition. I am not sure where to start my search to purchase. I see people say listen to them but that is easier said than done in the NE where I live, not many local options. Any thoughts on limiting my search to 2-3 units for my first purchase? I seem to read the pages on this site and google the units next thing i know 2-3 hours go but an I say that looks great 50 times. LOL Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you all

If you don't need a lot of power you can find smaller Sansui or Pioneer receivers for under 100. I'm talking 20 wpc size units. But it takes time watching CL to find what you're looking for. It takes patients.

Interesting dilemma. You have modern receivers that are no fun, and you bought vintage that were no fun either because they were broken / needed restoration.

For some of us, the fun IS the repair of broken gear. For others, the fun is reliability and convenience so we can dive in and enjoy the music.

You need to consider that if you want fun, are you able to provide it yourself by learning to repair receivers, or are you financially able to get others to repair the units for you ?

What modern units do you have ? Maybe some good sources and great speakers will give them added fun factor :)

I run a modern Yamaha amp, by the way, which kicks pretty much any vintage unit I've had firmly in the pants.

Interesting dilemma. You have modern receivers that are no fun, and you bought vintage that were no fun either because they were broken / needed restoration.

For some of us, the fun IS the repair of broken gear. For others, the fun is reliability and convenience so we can dive in and enjoy the music.

You need to consider that if you want fun, are you able to provide it yourself by learning to repair receivers, or are you financially able to get others to repair the units for you ?

What modern units do you have ? Maybe some good sources and great speakers will give them added fun factor :)
I did open up the Lafayette, fixed the lights, cleaned the dials, made it look nice. Just numbed out about the glass. I don't mind cleaning and lights but I don't have the cash for fixing and know nothing about electronics (replacing caps, soldering. I wish I did, would love to buy a as is unit and fix her up but I can't even get the right speakers on the 201 working. Maybe when the kids are older or out he se I will have more money and time but for now I just want to spin records and sing old school songs to the kids.

I run a modern Yamaha amp, by the way, which kicks pretty much any vintage unit I've had firmly in the pants.
Bad as it may sound I like the looks of the leer units. Modern ones all look the same. My Denon sounds good with the Kenwood speakers I have but just looks plain. Does it sound wrong to want looks and sound?

Any glass place should be able to cut and drill you a new faceplate glass for the Lafayette. Back in the mid seventies, I was told by a repair tech, who was working on my Lafayette, that they were just as good and well built as the name brands. My little Lafayette got me through high school, college and 5 years after college, when I bought my first Pioneer SX-1250 after saving hard for six months at my new job.

Bad as it may sound I like the looks of the leer units. Modern ones all look the same. My Denon sounds good with the Kenwood speakers I have but just looks plain. Does it sound wrong to want looks and sound?

Not at all. For many, there's an aesthetic element to enjoying this hobby which equals, and sometimes surpasses, the quality element.

Buy with your eyes open and you will need to budget for kind of restoration unless you go for a piece that has already been restored. Why not become a subscriber and throw a Want To Buy in our Bartertown ?

If you haven't already, please introduce yourself over in the new members section and let us know what type of music you enjoy etc etc.

FIRST THING, if you have not done this already, is pay the $25 subscription fee. This will give you access to Barter Town. Then post a "WTB" ad saying you are looking for a receiver in the $100 range, and where you are located (because shipping can be a killer). You will be INUNDATED with tons of excellent offers, from sellers who will be upfront with you about their gear.

A very big issue with buying vintage gear is that the capacitors, transistors, etc. inside 40 year old gear are nearing or at the end of their normal lifespans. Unless you buy something that has been "recapped" and restored by a competent tech, you will likely have a similar experience that you had buying that Fisher 201. (I have one of those by the way, and it is excellent! Only the power supply has been recapped though, there is a hum in the phono stage indicating more caps need replacing).

Or course, recapping is expensive - mostly due to labor, not the parts. Figure on $200-300 to pay a competent tech to recap/restore a vintage unit. BUT, you can buy one that has already had the work done for cheaper! (Restoring vintage gear is a money loser unless it's a Marantz, Mac, maybe Sansui or Pioneer). I saw a recapped Sherwood 7210 go for about $200 on eBay last week.

So get thee to Barter Town! The folks can be amazingly generous to newcomers. When I joined here 4 yrs ago, someone sold me a MINT Marantz 2238 for $150 plus shipping!! You might get an offer for a recapped receiver from someone nearby, you never know! But FWIW, here are my thoughts on your local options:

Realistic STA-78 - a decent choice IF in good shape, they go for well over $100 on eBay
Heathkit 1214 85.00 - I would avoid, since these are kits, and if the person who built it isn't experienced, you might get a lemon
Sansui 4900z for 99.00 - I believe these units use Darlington Packs, which cannot be replaced if they go bad, so I'd pass. But Sansui might be my favorite brand overall!

Sherwoods S7100/S7100A/7200 - all good choices IF they are in good condition, they have excellent tuners
Realistic STA-52B, STA-72, STA-80, even a few 2xxx models around 100.00 - Realistic gear is underrated, and can be great values. None of these are the best of Realistic, but all are decent entry level receivers.

The hobby is strong in this one. If you start experimenting with inexpensive receivers, you will end up with a closet full of them. Best to spend on a mid power unit which will open up a lot more speaker choices. Pioneer SX-939, Sansui Eight, Concept 6.5, Marantz 2285, Yamaha CR-1010 are just a few 65-85 wpc receivers that come to mind.

Wow, thanks for all the great input. I will head to the new member area and then look into Subscribing. It would be nice to work with someone who knows more about the equipment than I do at this point.

It would be nice to work with someone who knows more about the equipment than I do at this point.
Get involved with all the goings on as far as AK folks getting together in your area, this guessing New Hampshire means closer to Boston than Canada. One can learn a lot at these events. Check the events and happenings forum for anything that might be posted in your area.

@Ikura

Don't overlook integrated amps, depending upon how important FM is to you. Integrated amps have fewer parts and fewer potential places where things can go wrong in older gear. And there are plenty of integrated amps floating around in the used market, just like there are receivers.

Last edited:
FIRST THING, if you have not done this already, is pay the $25 subscription fee. This will give you access to Barter Town. Then post a "WTB" ad saying you are looking for a receiver in the $100 range, and where you are located (because shipping can be a killer). You will be INUNDATED with tons of excellent offers, from sellers who will be upfront with you about their gear.

A very big issue with buying vintage gear is that the capacitors, transistors, etc. inside 40 year old gear are nearing or at the end of their normal lifespans. Unless you buy something that has been "recapped" and restored by a competent tech, you will likely have a similar experience that you had buying that Fisher 201. (I have one of those by the way, and it is excellent! Only the power supply has been recapped though, there is a hum in the phono stage indicating more caps need replacing).

Or course, recapping is expensive - mostly due to labor, not the parts. Figure on $200-300 to pay a competent tech to recap/restore a vintage unit. BUT, you can buy one that has already had the work done for cheaper! (Restoring vintage gear is a money loser unless it's a Marantz, Mac, maybe Sansui or Pioneer). I saw a recapped Sherwood 7210 go for about $200 on eBay last week.

So get thee to Barter Town! The folks can be amazingly generous to newcomers. When I joined here 4 yrs ago, someone sold me a MINT Marantz 2238 for $150 plus shipping!! You might get an offer for a recapped receiver from someone nearby, you never know! But FWIW, here are my thoughts on your local options:

Realistic STA-78 - a decent choice IF in good shape, they go for well over $100 on eBay
Heathkit 1214 85.00 - I would avoid, since these are kits, and if the person who built it isn't experienced, you might get a lemon
Sansui 4900z for 99.00 - I believe these units use Darlington Packs, which cannot be replaced if they go bad, so I'd pass. But Sansui might be my favorite brand overall!

Sherwoods S7100/S7100A/7200 - all good choices IF they are in good condition, they have excellent tuners
Realistic STA-52B, STA-72, STA-80, even a few 2xxx models around 100.00 - Realistic gear is underrated, and can be great values. None of these are the best of Realistic, but all are decent entry level receivers.

Im not totally sure about the 4900z having Darlington Packs? My 5900z did not, but maybe thats the upgrade in the series? I thought it sounded really good, but I think most Sansuis do!

Back
Top Bottom