asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

This has been a big few years for me in general... Got married, started my first pastoral job, finished ordination and a master's degree.

Congratulations on all! I admire your commitment to the pursuit of audio excellence with all those other things going on in your life. Though I live alone I too have a relatively small apartment. Your aquisition of those huge speakers speaks volumes as to your commitment to excellence. For years I've listened to stereo vinyl through my HT fronts. Now that I have some decent stereo gear it's hard to come up with a way to set up a different listening area for that. It's a work in progress and I still might integrate the two listening/viewing areas but for now, while speaker testing, I've got 4 sets of towers, a few bookshelfs, Infinity floor speakers, a small work/test station, and a bunch of equipment hanging out in my living room. I posted some early pics in introductions when I first started accumulating gear. You probably will see some tower pairs and an overstuffed leather recliner on local CL soon lol. I'm in the south Lakeview neighborhood I'm sure our paths will cross someday. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations on all! I admire your commitment to the pursuit of audio excellence with all those other things going on in your life. Though I live alone I too have a relatively small apartment. Your aquisition of those huge speakers speaks volumes as to your commitment to excellence. For years I've listened to stereo vinyl through my HT fronts. Now that I have some decent stereo gear it's hard to come up with a way to set up a different listening area for that. It's a work in progress and I still might integrate the two listening/viewing areas but for now, while speaker testing, I've got 4 sets of towers, a few bookshelfs, Infinity floor speakers, a small work/test station, and a bunch of equipment hanging out in my living room. I posted some early pics in introductions when I first started accumulating gear. You probably will see some tower pairs and an overstuffed leather recliner on local CL soon lol. I'm in the south Lakeview neighborhood I'm sure our paths will cross someday. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man, that's a huge compliment.

What's worked for me is to get rid of everything I don't love (hard cuts) and only keep one of everything. 4 pairs of infinity could find 1 pair of sweet magnepans or whatever. I don't think there's a wrong way to do the hobby and I realize that some people get a kick out of owning lots of different designs. That's cool... I just can't do that.

Let's get together soon. I'm going to shoot you a PM

I've tried to keep my hobby stuff paced with the real life stuff because it helps to unload stress, but it's also a great tangible illustration that hard work actually goes somewhere.
I've had a few strange years here myself--the recession didn't help matters, and we moved a couple of times, but it's nice to have my main system in place now, and I know I can just wander into the room, turn things on and unwind with some tunes at the end of a long day. It makes this insane hobby of ours worth it. ;)

Update:
Got to play with some NS1000m for a while
P_20170908_192747.jpg

My 604s have gotten Jeff Markwart crossovers. I would recommend the circuit
P_20171012_195538.jpg
P_20171012_165217.jpg

And a full restoration is underway for a Thorens TD 124 mki
P_20170920_153809.jpg
Thread on the build here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/asilkers-td-124-build-thread.783904/

Also I've been playing around with different preamp configurations. If the program material is loud enough, I can run my DAC right into my JE Labs 2a3 power stage (because it has an input switch and potentiometer). My system gains considerable focus by using only the 2 gain stages in that amp and circumventing the line stage so I'm investigating what it looks like to live without a line buffer

They don't add gain, but you might be able to use a different input tube in your 2A3 amp. Have you rolled many tubes in it?

Another vote for the TVCs here, but you might have guessed that. :)

the electraprint PVA pres add a bit of gain. pretty easy to DIY. slightly fussy re inputs is only hitch.

They don't add gain, but you might be able to use a different input tube in your 2A3 amp. Have you rolled many tubes in it?

Another vote for the TVCs here, but you might have guessed that. :)
Looks like according the the JE Labs blog, I am able to use variants of the 6SN7 and 6SL7. 6SN7's lacked the appropriate gain even with a pre in front of them. 6SL7's are more like it.

Looks like the 6SL7 has a mu of 70. Is there a tube type in that series that features a higher mu?

Not really. The 6SL7 is often used instead of a 6SN7 because the Mu is considerably higher. But there are lots of good sounding 6SL7’s and they are at least somewhat cheaper than 6SN7’s generally speaking.

Redboy was correct, and I was not joking. My wife took this photo shortly after move in around 10 last night to illustrate how huge the 604 are:
View attachment 950141

I've blurred my face out for a little privacy on a public forum here, but rest assured in the photo I am grinning like a fool. My wife still kissed me this morning so no threats of divorce yet

More photos and notes to come. I am coming close to the gear I will keep forever.

Dude, be careful that was too easy. She's got something up her sleeve!

Those are cool for sure.
The Concert Grands in our garage were the first speakers my wife gave me flack for. Thus the garage.

Just went through the 4 amps I brought today for Bill Frisell . tweeking tube pairs until I'm satisfied, but I'm pretty sure he will use the Blonde and Tweed Fender Pro jr's
. In the past he always uses the Blonde and we sort out the second one...

15125085227391033417794.jpg

Back
Top Bottom