Let's start a discussion - where to hold the next FrankenFest?

w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
Time to plan for our Fall FrankenFest.

Since Frank's shop in Clinton is no longer available and the site we've used in Walpole looks like it's been rented I'd like to get some input from the group on where we could relocate.

Optimally I'd like to find a location near the Massachusetts / Connecticut line on I84. I think that is close enough to the Boston area while not being to far for our Connecticut and New York participants.
Granted - it's a longer drive for our northern members - but they're probably used to long drives.

There are a few hotels in that area where perhaps we could rent a function room and I see that there are VFW halls in both Southbridge MA and Stafford Springs CT.

Perhaps someone has an inside line on a location (perhaps a warehouse) or a suggestion?

I'm presuming that wherever we end up there will be a rental fee involved - but I don't think that will be very substantial (maybe $5-10 per person) and we could probably offset some of that with shirt sales.

Whatcha all think?

Jim

ahem -- one vote for the Connecticut River "Upper Valley" (NH or VT)

Easy to get to (I-91 or I-89) -- but especially for me.

;)

(Actually somewhere on the I-91 corridor, or -- as you suggest, somewhere out near Sturbridge/I-84 -- wouldn't be bad from here, either)

If there's ample parking, I'll probably make the trek.
Parking got too weird for me at Frank's as the fetes got larger.

Last edited:
Conn-Mass boarder area is fine with me.

We're having a gathering in the NY metro area this Sept 16th. The lodge rental was 200.00 for the day. Everyone attending paid about 20 bux to cover the rental, and we'll order in pizzas and soda. What ever is left over we'll donate to the kegger fund. People can also bring their own goodies and bubbly beverages too. :D

Glenn

I hear you on the parking issue. That could potentially eliminate fine lications as we should plan for about 50 cars.

I was thinking about a motel that has parking for tractor trailers would solve that.

They'd just need a meeting room on the ground level and maybe a couple of rooms for listening.

Conn-Mass boarder area is fine with me.

We're having a gathering in the NY metro area this Sept 16th. The lodge rental was 200.00 for the day. Everyone attending paid about 20 bux to cover the rental, and we'll order in pizzas and soda. What ever is left over we'll donate to the kegger fund. People can also bring their own goodies and bubbly beverages too. :D

Glenn

I like this type of option.

Maybe a lodge or similar in the Sutton area, @Taylor Player ??

Lodges and Restaurants can definitely be less expensive to rent space from. Parking and Load-In/Load-Out considerations can be important as well. There is nothing like a staircase getting in the way of an old-timer and his hand truck. We need flat ground and ramps; no curb steps or stairs, please...

I have a very friendly family owning a pizza restaurant near my locale. I often think their extra room on a Saturday morning could be a money maker for them. However, since our crowd size is really uncertain, that restaurant would need a significant "deposit" to hold the date. If someone else wanted to rent that date for their daughter's graduation or shower party, possible rescheduling could be needed. That is not a happy scenario, yet.

While watching the next NY show get ready, I was actually pleasantly surprised to see folks sending money in advance. Flashback to 1989; I actually put a HiFi/Record Collector event together in NYC. Yes, my favorite local "after drinks" burger restaurant in downtown Manhattan, Ham Heaven, now long gone, allowed me to use their cabaret license, rearrange the tables, and even gave me the keys Friday night with instructions on how to fire up the charcoal grill ! Unlimited food and beer awaited the folks setting up ! However, while that event was a fine show, with a line around the corner to get in Saturday morning, rental and advertising costs prevented me from recovering my expenses. Financially, I lost more than a few hundreds. With 40 "exhibitors" booked, only one would prepay for their tables ! When only 25 exhibitors attended, I knew I was in trouble. The $2. door entry fee from the public went right to the house (restaurant), but the crowd was a good one. Advertising included Stereophile, Absolute Sound, Goldmine and the NY Times Sunday edition in the Arts and Leisure Classifieds for three weeks prior.

I traded phone numbers with many attendees. Only a handful ever called back. I was hoping to get another show ready for the next year, and the next, but no.....that never happened. Flash forward...With the convenience and info factor of the internet now well in place, I do envision a grand, hobbiest event can take place for the northeast crowds.

I would be glad to drop a ten or twenty dollar bill for admittance, probably by another shirt (if not grey tee) and a burger/drink...

Probably wouldn't travel as far a the Hartford area, closer to the mass line would be better for me...selfish as I am :rolleyes:

I would be glad to drop a ten or twenty dollar bill for admittance, probably by another shirt (if not grey tee) and a burger/drink...

Probably wouldn't travel as far a the Hartford area, closer to the mass line would be better for me...selfish as I am :rolleyes:
Oh common! I drove from Peekskill NY up to Clinton! We need a few of you New Englander's to come down to the Peekskill meet!

Last edited:
Oh common! I drove from Peekskill NY up to Clinton! W eneed a few of you New Englander's to come down to the Peekskill meet!

As lovely as Peekskill looks in the Fall! (I googled it), there's no way I can make an event 4 hours away. Wifey wouldn't stand for it!

This does not lessen my appreciation for seeing your vintage audio collection 3 times a year!

Springfield MA would be my absolute farthest westerly point.

But don't plan around me. Just sayin.

As lovely as Peekskill looks in the Fall! (I googled it), there's no way I can make an event 4 hours away. Wifey wouldn't stand for it!

This does not lessen my appreciation for seeing your vintage audio collection 3 times a year!

Springfield MA would be my absolute farthest westerly point.

But don't plan around me. Just sayin.

I get that. Maybe in the future if this meet is successful and catches on as a good venue.

Time to plan for our Fall FrankenFest.

Since Frank's shop in Clinton is no longer available and the site we've used in Walpole looks like it's been rented I'd like to get some input from the group on where we could relocate.

Optimally I'd like to find a location near the Massachusetts / Connecticut line on I84. I think that is close enough to the Boston area while not being to far for our Connecticut and New York participants.
Granted - it's a longer drive for our northern members - but they're probably used to long drives.

There are a few hotels in that area where perhaps we could rent a function room and I see that there are VFW halls in both Southbridge MA and Stafford Springs CT.

Perhaps someone has an inside line on a location (perhaps a warehouse) or a suggestion?

I'm presuming that wherever we end up there will be a rental fee involved - but I don't think that will be very substantial (maybe $5-10 per person) and we could probably offset some of that with shirt sales.

Whatcha all think?

Jim
Sturbridge Host Hotel is large enough and has rooms right there. Its close to I84 - 20 and the mass pike.

They have HUGE gun shows there ever year. A lot larger than the Frankin fest..... Just an idea.....

I've put a couple of feelers out, including inquiring about the rental of a television studio in Springfield where I used to work (right off of 91 in downtown and about 10 minutes off the MA Pike. I'll keep you posted.

How torn up is Springfield at this point (or, more to the point, when will it cease to be torn up)? Last time I went through, it was a mess due to road construction.
Admittedly, that was in January.

Springfield is still pretty torn up, but it shouldn't be too bad on a weekend. Traffic in this area isn't really an issue when compared to larger cities.

The 91 viaduct is still a mess...jumping off early from either north or south isn't an issue. If you come in from the east on the turnpike you don't even get on 91 and can miss it completely.

I can't drive too far due to back problems, so I'm out if it's too far away from NH. One suggestion I'll offer. I used to do record shows at the Elk's Lodge on Route 110 in Chelmsford, MA. It burned down a few years ago and was completely remodeled. Easy access off of Route 3, plenty of parking and several doors to enter the room. I put in a call to find out rates and if there is interest I'll post the information here when they contact me. Here is their website.

http://www.elks.org/lodges/home.cfm?LodgeNumber=2310

See what's available - but frankly I think Springfield is too far west - the Sturbridge location would be ideal. I just wonder if the Host Hotel is going to be too expensive and maybe not entirely suitable for our needs.

I can't drive too far due to back problems, so I'm out if it's too far away from NH. One suggestion I'll offer. I used to do record shows at the Elk's Lodge on Route 110 in Chelmsford, MA. It burned down a few years ago and was completely remodeled. Easy access off of Route 3, plenty of parking and several doors to enter the room. I put in a call to find out rates and if there is interest I'll post the information here when they contact me. Here is their website.

http://www.elks.org/lodges/home.cfm?LodgeNumber=2310

Yes - please inquire - but I think that's too far north.

Back
Top Bottom