Schiit Modi Multibit

Are there other people reporting an up-front, digital sound besides us?

Nope, or very few and not on this forum. I wouldn't necessarily describe the sound as digital as some might think of digital sound that you get from cheap CD players, no, it was nothing like that. But it was very direct and uncompromising.

Nope, or very few and not on this forum. I wouldn't necessarily describe the sound as digital as some might think of digital sound that you get from cheap CD players, no, it was nothing like that. But it was very direct and uncompromising.

It's definitely not a "cheap digital" sound. It's just not a smooth sound. It sounds expensive regardless.

Borrowed a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC and ran some comparisons with a Geek Out 2A Infinity DAC (not pictured).
System chain: PC > FLAC/AAC/OGG > DAC > Valhalla 2 tube amp [stock tubes] > Senn 600 headphones. Did NOT use the USB Decrapifier as shown in the picture for this review/comparison.

Thanks for the review as that system chain is what my exact set up would be. Of course, I will likely still try for myself, but it is good to read your experiences with it.

My opinion about the MMB isn't very popular in this discussion but this is exactly what I experienced. Perhaps my other gear wasn't a good match and someone with a darker sounding amp and speakers could benefit from the "optimism" emanating from the Modi, but it wasn't for me.
Not unpopular with me, everyone is going to have different opinions due to a whole plethora of reasons. I respect your opinion on the Modi. What I haven't cared about in this thread is the way the brand name has been kicked around like it should be a real consideration, or that the Modi mb should somehow rival dac's that list for double its price.

Last edited:
Try changing your output to ASIO if using Wasapi or the other way around. Are you using any DSP in JRiver? You can experiment with the size of the buffers in JRiver, I was reading there are several places in JRiver you can tweak the buffers it but I had no need to and didn't spend any time to understand all the options.
I Had to open up the buffer a bit withJRiver running on my Rpi3 to prevent dropped out tracks about 10 seconds in to them, but now works perfectly and dead silent. Before switching to the Raspberry I ran the Modi mb on windows and had all sorts of issues which the Schiit wyrd mostly took care of. Now I don't use the wyrd any longer. The Rpi3 with JRiver and the Modi mb has been a winner for me.

There is a very kewl way to run your DAC from your laptop, cell phone, ipad, etc. with no USB cable.

You need a wireless network.
You need a tiny computer called a Raspberry Pi. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. ($75)
You need some free software called RuneAudio.
You need an external hard drive with all your music files.

It works flawlessly with the MMB. The RuneAudio interface is super kewl. You can load music, control volume, skip around, from anywhere in the house with your cell, ipad, laptop.

You guys should look into it.
View attachment 979682
I Have had interest in rune for a while now but was under the impression that it is subscription based which I tend to shy away from. Will roon stream Tidal and stored music seemlessly on the Rpi3? That would be a reason to have it IMO

Are there other people reporting an up-front, digital sound besides us?

The Modi 2 Uber sounded pretty much the same as the built in DAC in my Squeezebox Touch.

The Modi Multibit, to me, was a bit harsh but one person's harsh is another person's detailed. My system was already a little too crisp sounding so for me it wasn't a good thing.

As with all dacs or other audio components, all the other parts in the audio chain will make up the end result.

An excellent reason why any recommendation for or against the way any piece of equipment sounds has to be taken with yet another grain of salt.

I've found small tubes that were raved about, to be too soft sounding when I first tried them but then later when I paired them with a power tube that was just a bit harsh the combination was perfect.

I Have had interest in rune for a while now but was under the impression that it is subscription based which I tend to shy away from. Will roon stream Tidal and stored music seemlessly on the Rpi3? That would be a reason to have it IMO

RuneAudio is completely free, no subscription.

I have a Pi3. Rune streams all my stored music and radio stations.

Tidal does music videos, right? I am not familiar with Tidal so I can't tell you if it works with Rune or not. I doubt it though.

BTW: I like to see a diversity of opinions on equipment like the Modi MB. Equipment Brand Fan Boys are boring.

Last edited:
Found the problem with my modi multibit. Pops and clicks stopped completely by disabling devices one at a time to discover it was the laptops internal intel hd graphics. The USB hub doing all the ports on the laptop shared the same IRQ as the graphics. Now clear sound and crap , slow display which I assume is the CPU rendering the graphics. This I can live with as I'm all about the audio anyway. But of a shame it's such an extreme solution.

Found the problem with my modi multibit. Pops and clicks stopped completely by disabling devices one at a time to discover it was the laptops internal intel hd graphics. The USB hub doing all the ports on the laptop shared the same IRQ as the graphics. Now clear sound and crap , slow display which I assume is the CPU rendering the graphics. This I can live with as I'm all about the audio anyway. But of a shame it's such an extreme solution.

Is there way to assign a different IRQ to the graphics? Could this be just noise on the USB lines when the graphics is in a particular mode? Have you tried a hub between the laptop and the DAC and/or using another USB port on the laptop?

Noise on the USB was a major problem with my win 10 machine, a desktop HP. I bought the Schiit Wyrd filter which helped considerably but still not the final solution which for me meant going with the Raspberry pi 3.

Modi multibit is known for its lesser USB interface. The Eitr sounds like a solution to all USB issues, should stack nicely with the Modi too.

Modi multibit is known for its lesser USB interface. The Eitr sounds like a solution to all USB issues, should stack nicely with the Modi too.

Now that's interesting ... missed the introduction of that one.

Last edited:
Now that's interesting ... missed the introduction of that one.

Someone mentioned it on this forum, I missed it too. Sounds like a USB interface that's done right, with transformer galvanic isolation and async transfer mode, or at least it is listed as supported on the CM6631A datasheet.

Someone mentioned it on this forum, I missed it too. Sounds like a USB interface that's done right, with transformer galvanic isolation and async transfer mode, or at least it is listed as supported on the CM6631A datasheet.

... busy Summer ... just totally missed it.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what brand and model of laptop are you using?

Dell Inspiron 7537. Always made a weird high pitched noise when scrolling down a web page. Knew the graphics were dicey. And had a feeling it would be a problem with the modi.

Wish there was a way to disable the integrated intel graphics chip, and force all graphics to display through the nvidia 750m chip in it!!

At present with only the CPU doing the graphics , it looks horrible and hard to read text.

Maybe time for a new laptop. P.O.S.

You could always go Wireless audio with a CCA connected to the Modi and stream from your laptop. Eliminate USB.

Eric

Anyone have a listen with this yet (or experience with other Schiit multibits, for that matter)? I've been looking for a DAC for my two channel setup in this price range. In another thread someone said they thought the Gungnir Multibit sounded veiled in comparison with a dragonfly 1. This seemed strange to me. Also was a usb connection. Anyone heard a difference between inputs on a Schiit? I'm really looking for best sound quality for the money. So, if say the dragonfly red had clearer imaging, then I'd probably choose it despite its lack of functionality for higher bit rates or features.
My original setup had me very concerned about the usb area of things. Long wifi run, drivers, and major burn in. Got the hard wired ethernet crankin' now and it's clear and crisp. Waiting on my USB5 card from Schiit.

Back
Top Bottom