Sub 1000$ tube amp for choruses

manu et deo

I'm loving it!
Subscriber
Hiya,
As the title says I'm looking for a tube amp that will meet well with my choruses. What do you guys think.

the Chorus are not as efficient as the factory info claims. The Chorus is a loudspeaker which really responds well (and was designed for) lots of power. find a used pair of really solid 100x2 stereo block amps you can bridge up one per channel or a really solid 200 -300 watt mono blocks. You can go to any good pro music store and try a pair of pro amps for a weekend cheap check it out. If you don't do this then you won't have the chance to hear what these speakers can do when given what they were really designed for. Perhaps some of the guys here who have big amps on Chorus will chime in but small tube amps are not going to get the job done and if you want to go that rout then the Chorus is the wrong choice you should look instead to a set of Cornwall or better yet the Cornwall ll. Those will happily rock your wourld on a clean pair of pp EL34 (around 30 solid watts).

the Chorus are not as efficient as the factory info claims. The Chorus is a loudspeaker which really responds well (and was designed for) lots of power. find a used pair of really solid 100x2 stereo block amps you can bridge up one per channel or a really solid 200 -300 watt mono blocks. You can go to any good pro music store and try a pair of pro amps for a weekend cheap check it out. If you don't do this then you won't have the chance to hear what these speakers can do when given what they were really designed for. Perhaps some of the guys here who have big amps on Chorus will chime in but small tube amps are not going to get the job done and if you want to go that rout then the Chorus is the wrong choice you should look instead to a set of Cornwall or better yet the Cornwall ll. Those will happily rock your wourld on a clean pair of pp EL34 (around 30 solid watts).
I have a couple of pro amps and will give it a listen. Thank you for the opposing suggestion.

the pro amps may not have the hifi refinement you are looking for but they will show you how a Chorus comes alive with power. The smaller than Cornwall cabinet volume of the Chorus comes at a price and the Chorus are fitted with high power handling woofers for a reason. Feed them what they were designed for and they will not fail to impress.

Fisher 400/500/800 would be great. My 400 is insanely well matched for my Klipsch Quartets for example. Updated the crossovers and titanium tweeters from Bob Crites and rebuilt the 400.

Run mine on a Fisher X202B and sometimes a little Dave Gillespie Maggie 8601........both very nice.

I still think the MK III was the best sounding tube amp Dynaco ever made. Have no clue what the dual 40 watt Citation worth, but they sounded good. Marantz made some mono 40 watt amps that we amazing I thought. A model 8 or 8b would cost too much. Pilot made some good sounding tube. amps. I liked Sherwood tube amps, they had a nice listenable sound. But I'll put my foot in my mouth and say look for the Model III Dynacos.

Back
Top Bottom