Hi from the Netherlands

Tally Ho

Hi All,

I am Peter (nick Tally Ho) living with wife and Doberman dogs near Rotterdam in the Netherlands.
Sort of common for a Rotterdam resident.. I do work in the shipping industry (ships spares).

Sixty y/o by the time of writing, so with a four kids family my parents just could afford the odd Transistor radio in my early years and in the sixties the one of a million produced wooden Grundig cabinets with an integrated record player. Fond memories of playing those 45" singles from Roy Orbison, Lefty Frizzel, Petula Clark and early Beatles. One day around 1966 Dad came home with what looked like a home made steel framed Stereo tube amplifier (sort of Geloso it was) and two huge speaker cabinets, Pick-Up plus a Stereo demonstration LP. Breathless for the rest of the evening we played that record over and over again... flipping your eyes try to catch up that (invisable) Table Tennis PingPong ball, or the car that started on the r.h side and drove away on the l.h side, pure magic it was. Along in that period my older brothers came home with the records of Cream, Hendrix, Kinks, Small Faces, the Who etc. so thanks to them I am still hooked on that 60's stuff.

Owing my own bedroom early 70's (!) I ended up with an old Philips Receiver and a tiny tape-deck followed later on by a cassette deck. Left school in 1974 and once I started working from one of my first wages I bought an Akai Stereo set, few years later replaced that by a brandnew Pioneer SA-6300 with Marantz speakers. Now that made the neighbours jump whilst playing Boston, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Queen.
Met my wife in 1984, living together from 1985 on she brought in this nearly new big Akai amp (# can't recall) we had this for years along with her Magnat speakers. Bought a new set after a house rebuild at the end of the 90's, this being a Yamaha RX-496RDS receiver with Infinity speakers and a Aristona CD/DVD player.

*Nearly there..*
Two months ago I discovered some trouble with the Yamaha, the right channel did not came along when starting up... Fiddled around with the Balance control knob and hey Presto; problem solved. Starting again, same problem again! Also it appears the old Infinity speakers woofer foam rings were completely absent (!) I decided to dispose this set and, is it my age or something?, had a look around for some 1.0 old school HIFI components. First time I browsed in the Classified Ads for "old stuff" I came across a pair of beautiful restored Wharfdale E-Fifty speakers, be it only 7 kilometres from our home.
Arrested them the same evening, the seller also being happy with our old expired Infinity speakers I brought with me, great deal for both sides!
Spend endless time searching for a Marantz receiver (the "Must Have" according to several I-net Guru's)... but hey! What about those asking prices? Do they have gold knobs? Are they loaded with some expensive precious metal kinda stuff? I just came across a very neat PIoneer SX-790 Receiver (= 780 type but black face + black upholstery instead of wood cover) for a fraction of the Marantz asking prices (in Holland that is, dunno anywhere else). Collected it last week, at home I took the cover off, it's a bit dusty on the inside. The illumination on the front is kinda weak so already checking this site for some LED alterations. Also discovered 2 different serial nos. on the Darlington packs underneath so will it will be subject to some further investigation before it will be finally installed.

Will get some pics asap and try to keep you updated,
Oh! On the record: I am a noob where it concerns techs, do know how to solder due to my bass-guitar hobby on pots but there it ends. No knowledge on Caps/Diodes/Triodes whatsoever :) only the written food for thougt as seen....

NIce to meet you!
Thank you for attention.

Last edited:
IMG_1564.JPG

Me so old and still learning some lessons in life ;)
Installed a pair of Magnat wall mounted speakers few weeks ago. Wires from previous speakers were too short so I extended them with a proper layer of solder. Also I solderd a kind of loop to fit the speaker terminals.... Last few days I suspected the wall mounted thingies of sounding poor, this Sunday morning they were dead silent. Started investigation with a Multi-meter, reading for both Magnats at the amp terminals: Zero Nada nothing for both. As I worked my way up my attention was drawn to the speaker terminals with loose wires!
It became clear the used Solder Flux had completely eaten away the wires! Never expierenced this before.... Flabbergasted..

Update for the above unit:

Finally got it connected today for the first time. When I collected this last week the owner presented a demo with only the FM Tuner on, no other aux.
He kept the Pioneer in his garage so there were only a pair of small computer speakers connected to it. Anyway I checked all parameters and there were no clicks or gongs discovered with any of the knobs or pots.
Now @ home Pio was connected to the Wharfdale E-50's and Magnats, connected the 75Ohm Coax cable to its socket, also connected the RCA's: TV/Digital Media Box to AUX, CD/DVD to Tape Monitor 1, PC to Tape Monitor 2.

A brief notice of the first session:
FM Radio killer sound, until I switched the "LOW Filter" on.... off went the sound... returned after a good 30 seconds I guess but it sounded very disturbed. Switched the LOW Filter back where it came from.
To be on the safe side with this unfamiliar unit I switched it of.
Setting all parameters Neutral or Zero and switched it on again..

A brief notice of the second session: the poor thing is going Loco through its inputs! I ended up with playing a CD (on one of the Tape Monitors) whilst the selector knob was appointed to PHONO and no Tape monitors on and NO input on the PHONO (haven't got one)...... To cut a long story short: both Digital inputs Media Box + CD player seems to be overrulling all others. When I select the FM knob, It is overruled by the playing CD player. hearing them both!
Gonna have a good night rest, tomorrow pull all RCA plugs out, and start all over again.
Keep you posted!

IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1583.JPG View attachment 1000192

Hellooow, sorry didn't had time to look at the Pio... but I did had time to collect this little gem!
For sure it is a common Brand in the US, a tiny Realistic SA-102 mini receiver in a woodcase, gonna be used as a desktop headphone amp. The guy who sold it also owns a related equalizer but I'm in doubt and discarded his offer for the eq. not sure if this makes any sense for a headphone...or shall I??
Quick investigation learns it is related to Radio Shack/Tandy? I remember Tandy Retail shops mid 70's here in the Netherlands and they distributed real heavy paper catalogues.

Last edited:
View attachment 1000205 View attachment 1000204 View attachment 1000192

Hellooow, sorry didn't had time to look at the Pio... but I did had time to collect this little gem!
For sure it is a common Brand in the US, a tiny Realistic SA-102 mini receiver in a woodcase, gonna be used as a desktop headphone amp. The guy who sold it also owns a related equalizer but I'm in doubt and discarded his offer for the eq. not sure if this makes any sense for a headphone...or shall I??
Quick investigation learns it is related to Radio Shack/Tandy? I remember Tandy Retail shops mid 70's here in the Netherlands and they distributed real heavy paper catalogues.

Hi Peter,
You know, the brand "realistic", with collapse of Radioshack, is no-more. Much of what was marketed under the "Realistic" label were things made by Technics and a little Pioneer. I used to have a Realistic equalizer a while back, which was a Technics product with new badges.

Anybody who invites a Dobie into his home is A-OK by me...-Sandy G., "Daddy" to "Junior", 1981-93. The only time he ever made me angry was that DREADFUL day he went to cross the Rainbow Bridge...Still miss ya, you big ol' Galoot ! They are basically misunderstood, sweet, loving fellows...

Back
Top Bottom