Any major difference between Pioneer N50A and their new N50AE?

bergun

Hi,

I'm looking at adding either the older Pioneer N50A or the newer model, the N50AE to my two channel system. Basically, the older N50A is far cheaper than their newer N50AE, so I was wondering if the updated model is really worth the extra $$$ for a person who's plans for this network player will be very-very basic.

All I plan to do is hook it up to my computer for my iTunes files and feed the files into my amplifier. Also, I'm very interested in the internet radio options that this and other network player now offer. I don't think I'll do a wireless connection between the network player and computer since I prefer to use a cable since I "believe" it will give me a better connection.

I was looking at the Sony ES network player, but the $1,999.00 sticker price is way above what I can afford at this time. What I like about the Sony is its ability to store your music files on its 1TB hard drive.

BTW, I have the Yamaha A-S801 amplifier and B&W book shelve speakers as the core of my two-channel system.

Thanks for looking!!

FWIW:

First of all....There is a used Sony HAP-Z1ES over on audiogon for $1399. That's gotta be a lot closer to your range. Maybe you can make it work. I have heard great things about it. I went to a Magnolia (inside of Best Buy) and listened through the unit - it was great, but it would be hard not to be when you've got full Mac monoblocks and DACs with $10,000 speakers.

Secondly...The Sony HAP-S1 is only $999 to begin with (there are lower-priced used versions on the auction site) but has a better screen and also doubles as an integrated amp.

The Z1ES decodes the same file types as the S1, but if you're not interested in things like AIFF then it doesn't really matter. There are differences between the two in power consumption and outputs but it seems like you're really paying for the hard drive, a little muscle, and some likely speed.

I'd take a look at the S1 if you're at all intrigued by the Z1ES.

FWIW:

First of all....There is a used Sony HAP-Z1ES over on audiogon for $1399. That's gotta be a lot closer to your range. Maybe you can make it work. I have heard great things about it. I went to a Magnolia (inside of Best Buy) and listened through the unit - it was great, but it would be hard not to be when you've got full Mac monoblocks and DACs with $10,000 speakers.

Secondly...The Sony HAP-S1 is only $999 to begin with (there are lower-priced used versions on the auction site) but has a better screen and also doubles as an integrated amp.

The Z1ES decodes the same file types as the S1, but if you're not interested in things like AIFF then it doesn't really matter. There are differences between the two in power consumption and outputs but it seems like you're really paying for the hard drive, a little muscle, and some likely speed.

I'd take a look at the S1 if you're at all intrigued by the Z1ES.

I own both the S1 and Z1 and agree with your assessment. I upgraded the hard drives in both (S1 -->1TB and Z1–>2TB) and they both sounded and work great. I just sold the S1 this morning and moved the Z1 to my office system. I have always run my Z1 through an Auralic Vega DAC and don’t think I will ever part with that combination. I now use an Aurender N100H connected to a PS Audio Directstream DAC in my main system and am very pleased. I can’t really say yet that I get better sound through this combination vs. the Z1/Vega. Hopefully that will change based on the money I just spent!

I only got rid of the S1 to help defray the cost of the N100H and Directstream DAC. The S1 was always connected to an integrated amplifier as it drove either Wilson Audio or Martin Logan speakers and it didn’t have quite enough amplifier to drive for me. The S1 definitely benefited by being connected to a DAC via its USB port. You can’t go wrong with either HAP player in my opinion. Love the iPad and iPhone apps. Beautifuly designed and intuitive to use.

Back
Top Bottom