Yamaha RX-A 3060

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
I posted this in home theater section as well, but thought I would have twice the results posting here too.
I have a chance to get one of these flagship receivers for a pretty good deal, but I am having trouble finding info on impedance load handling.
I own PSB stratus silvers, minis, and c-6 center and want to know if it will run these hard to drive speakers ok. They are rated 4 ohms, but will dip down lower when pushed a bit.
I would expect an amp of this caliber to handle them with ease, but from what I'm reading, I am not sure.

Being unfamiliar with your speakers, I read the Stereophile review of the Silvers. It said they were rated at 6.5 ohms with a 6 ohm minimum, so you are probably ok there.

The Minis said 4 ohms, but if they are to be used as rears in a home theater situation, it might be ok.

Neither was mentioned as being unruly or difficult to drive, but these reviewers were using big power amps, not a home theater receiver.

I'm not an authority on anything, however, I have the RX-A3070 and running a set of ADS L1230's up front, and custom ADS L810 Center/Surrounds. All rated at 92db spl 6 ohm nominal and definitely dip down to 4 ohm. Receiver set at 8 ohm. I've run it pretty high at -14 db for a few hours and even at -8 for an hour or so. Thermometer at the top of the unit says 104 to 108. It's warm, but no where near hot. Still shows that same temp even if I'm running at -25db. The RX-A3070 is pretty much the same unit as the 3060 with only few extras. Can't see where you'd have a problem.

Good on you!! .. Your gonna love that unit. It's always a bonus when you can get it for a good deal. If memory serves me, you'll have to flash a patch on the unit to enjoy 4k pass through.

Wow! This thing is awesome!! My psbs never sounded like this!
So full and detailed, and I don't even know how to set it yet!
Only complaint so far is I need reading glasses to read the remote!
I'm curious to see how it will sound with some of my other speakers!
Dahlquist dq 10
Vandersteen 2ci
Jbl L100T
Spendor sp2
Energy 22 pro
Infinity rs5b...

Wow! This thing is awesome!! My psbs never sounded like this!
So full and detailed, and I don't even know how to set it yet!
Only complaint so far is I need reading glasses to read the remote!
I'm curious to see how it will sound with some of my other speakers!
Dahlquist dq 10
Vandersteen 2ci
Jbl L100T
Spendor sp2
Energy 22 pro
Infinity rs5b...

It will sound Magnificent Vintageo. Do the multipoint calibration with the YPAO. You can also bi-pass Ypao and go manual or straight. You'll be amazed at how versatile that unit is once you start getting into the settings. Again, I'm no expert on anything, but I've owned my 3070 for a month now and I'm still learning new things. Yes, the remote leaves a lot to be desired. In the long run, you'll memorize the buttons, but yeah .. needed my readers to figure out what was where. DSP settings are many and easy to find for Straight, 2 channel and 9 channel. You'll not have a day of regrets for owning that unit. I've upgraded over the years from RX-V2500 to 2700 to this 3070. I smile every time I turn it on. Congrats on the good deal you got. YOU WIN!! (smiling)

Yes to the downloads for the phone and pad. My RX-A3060 is the bomb. I'm very happy after almost a year. Once you get settled in, setup the Scenes. There is a very spartan looking Web Setup tool which can be used for adjusting it on the fly. Also, in the configuration setups, there are two Patterns available. These can use different speaker configurations. I've never used the zones so I can't speak to that but otherwise I've found no limitations, running 6.2.2 system.

I just went to download the controller app and decided to wait after reading the reviews. All are BAD after a recent FIX to the app.

I just downloaded to try it anyway and I am experiencing the same issues as the others, won't connect

I just went to download the controller app and decided to wait after reading the reviews. All are BAD after a recent FIX to the app.

No, no issues here. Running it on Android S7. Which app? Controller or Music Cast?

Edit: Took a look and see complaints about the Controller. I'm not seeing any issues with it and I used it quite a bit yesterday.

I didn't mess with the auto setup. I just plugged in the numbers manually through the front panel of the unit. After I got it all in it was fine. I didn't even try the automated route, my home network is pretty complicated, so I assumed it would be confused, and avoided it by assigning an address specific to it.
Hope this helps.
Chris

I may have inadvertently lied when I said I didn't have a problem @VINTAGEO. I was driving to work last night thinking, I did have a problem with the controller at first. The previous evening I was having net issues, and thought at the time I lost the connection to the controller due to that. Then I checked the MusicCast app, and had to re-connect to it. Once I re-connected to the MusicCast app, the AV Controller reconnected. So it will be interesting to see if it was a fluke, or that the MusicCast app magically re-reconnects the AV App.

I haven't tried the MusicCast app for my new RX-A770 yet since I only plan on using the AVR in the rec room. I'm using the remote and OSD with the TV.

So far this AVR is a real gem. I kind of wish I had moved up to the 870 with preamp outputs and multi-position YPAO settings.
I'm using it in DD/DTS - ES 6.0 mode now. I May connect another pair of top front speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X 5.0.2, Which can easily be switched so I can get the most from my DVD's and older Blu-Ray disc's, as well as new Atmos encoded disc's.

I haven't tried the MusicCast app for my new RX-A770 yet since I only plan on using the AVR in the rec room. I'm using the remote and OSD with the TV.

So far this AVR is a real gem. I kind of wish I had moved up to the 870 with preamp outputs and multi-position YPAO settings.
I'm using it in DD/DTS - ES 6.0 mode now. I May connect another pair of top front speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X 5.0.2, Which can easily be switched so I can get the most from my DVD's and older Blu-Ray disc's, as well as new Atmos encoded disc's.

If you have music on your phone, or stored on your computer or server, it's a very handy way to access those files. Select play lists, all music or sort by Artist. Excited for you to get your system together as you envision. Right now I'm building a complete system using Vintage ADS speakers. Presently it's 5.1 (Sub is Klipsch), but presents and Back Surround Presents will be ADS as I find them and have them reconditioned.

Back
Top Bottom