Hi from the Netherlands

What Junior LOVED more than almost anything was to cadge me into taking him for a Walk..I'd come home from work, pile up at the foot of my bed, & here he'd come, whining & doing ANYTHING to get me to take him for his walk.. He'd hop up on my bed, paddlefoot to the end, & either put his paw atop my head, or his snout. Those were his "Signs" he wanted attention. Funny how he always got what he wanted. Saturdays, my mom would open my door, he'd come in, stand besides my bed at a 45 degree angle & whine til I got up. If I didn't get up, sometimes he'd paw at me til I did. Or he'd proceed to get in the sack w/me. I'm a pretty large specimen, & sharing a twin size bed w/a rather large dog wasn't much fun. But I'd heard stories all my life about how Dobies would have LONG conversations w/their owners over everything- They're true. No, they CAN'T talk, but anybody who's ever had a Dobie will tell you they can communicate just fine, thank you, w/their humans.. Vicious, nasty Killer beasts ? Yeah. There was one guy I worked with who had a Certified Killer-Diller Dobie. He came up to the office one day, & the Dobie was in the bed of his pickup. I went out there, started talking to the Dobie, & "Loving" him all over. His owner said not many people do THAT.. I backed off from the pickup, the Dobie pawed me,& I resumed loving him... The guy who was his daddy just grinned & shook his head...

bassie.jpg

Meet our current "Guardian" Dobie named Basil (7 y/o Shelter dog, owned for one year now, former name was Diesel which stinks in our opinion so renamed him Basil)

What Junior LOVED more than almost anything was to cadge me into taking him for a Walk..I'd come home from work, pile up at the foot of my bed, & here he'd come, whining & doing ANYTHING to get me to take him for his walk.. He'd hop up on my bed, paddlefoot to the end, & either put his paw atop my head, or his snout. Those were his "Signs" he wanted attention. Funny how he always got what he wanted. Saturdays, my mom would open my door, he'd come in, stand besides my bed at a 45 degree angle & whine til I got up. If I didn't get up, sometimes he'd paw at me til I did. Or he'd proceed to get in the sack w/me. I'm a pretty large specimen, & sharing a twin size bed w/a rather large dog wasn't much fun. But I'd heard stories all my life about how Dobies would have LONG conversations w/their owners over everything- They're true. No, they CAN'T talk, but anybody who's ever had a Dobie will tell you they can communicate just fine, thank you, w/their humans.. Vicious, nasty Killer beasts ? Yeah. There was one guy I worked with who had a Certified Killer-Diller Dobie. He came up to the office one day, & the Dobie was in the bed of his pickup. I went out there, started talking to the Dobie, & "Loving" him all over. His owner said not many people do THAT.. I backed off from the pickup, the Dobie pawed me,& I resumed loving him... The guy who was his daddy just grinned & shook his head...
Haha recognise that 45 degree sign! And yes they DO understand when talking to them. I am always cautious to enter a car which got any dog in it... but will approach any Dobie out on the street :)

Ooooh what a lovely dog! Great name too!

I'm familiar with Rotterdam, though I don't live as near anymore. I'm still there every other weekend to sip coffee and pet cats.

There's a little shop selling old crap on every corner in Rotterdam, I lost count of the great deals- I believe the most recent score was a pair of Allure 100's. Humble looks, mediocre drivers, but the cabinets are brilliant. Just gotta be prepared to do some work on whatever you pick up in those shops.

I'm pretty new on this forum, I hope we'll have a neat time here!

Hi Friends, hope you are well!
Long time no posting, long time no interest in AK and my audio stuff as our Dobey friend Basil suddenly became ill in february 2018 and passed away within 3 three days after diagnosed with kidney cancer only 6 y/o.
But now, re-homed a 3 y/o Dobermann guy and also re-homed a 3 y/o brown Labrador-Retriever girlie at ours… crazy with each other. Fall is setting in here in the Netherlands, so with a peacefull mind again will try to attend to my Audio thingies :beerchug:
Cheers!

Hi Friends, hope you are well!
Long time no posting, long time no interest in AK and my audio stuff as our Dobey friend Basil suddenly became ill in february 2018 and passed away within 3 three days after diagnosed with kidney cancer only 6 y/o.
But now, re-homed a 3 y/o Dobermann guy and also re-homed a 3 y/o brown Labrador-Retriever girlie at ours… crazy with each other. Fall is setting in here in the Netherlands, so with a peacefull mind again will try to attend to my Audio thingies
Cheers!
Sorry to read you lost a buddy to cancer. But happy to read you have found others to love.

Welcome to AK, Peter. I am in the midst of an essay about the painter Hendrick Avercamp that should be published later this fall and learning a bit about the Netherlands during the Little Ice Age.

Back
Top Bottom