hover-cards stopped working

petehall347

the brandy coffee man
since late yesterday hover cards have stopped working . i have cleared cookies cache etc and still same .. not sure if its my end or a forum fault .

It's not just you -nor- your connection...
My guess is it traces back to the ads like most other forum faults of late here @ AK.

I'm begining to see a pattern lately.
The "new" ads apparently get uploaded to the forums over the weekend & it's takes a day or two for things to get back to working smoothly.

A couple weekends back it was really wonky for me.
This weekend it's kinda acting just like it does when I disable java scripts to deal with past issues here.
ie: There are no advanced features or such (or just they're just moving rrreeeaaalllyyy slow).

But that's just my WAG what's going on.

Bret P.

well its back to how it was . very slow loading ..had to wait 20 seconds for reply box to appear just now

I tried to leave a "like" and another page showed up and asked if I really wanted to leave a "Like" . Weird

well its back to how it was . very slow loading ..had to wait 20 seconds for reply box to appear just now
Yep slow page loading all day, the page pops up quick but it sit's there incomplete with no comment box. None of the drop downs work till the page completely loads. And I have an add blocker

Adds are making the internet unbearable and their aggressions is going to shoot them in there own foot.

I can see all sites to go the way of paid membership just so the adds don't attack all their members all the time.

i find its vb-api slowing it down ..from what i see on the net its not needed these days

Last edited:
This morning, I was trying to reply to a thread while on a phone, and the reply text area was not appearing. When I would click Reply, it would instead take me to a separate page. The progress bar showed that the page was not quite loading all the way. I went to the bottom of the page, clicked a tiny "X" next to a Google ad, and that cured it. The reply text area would load again, and everything worked normally. But then, any reply I tried to make, I had to click that same ad.

Just about any issues with loading this forum (no matter which site is running the software) have to do with JavaScript. The ad networks...there is no telling how they want to embed their ads, plus they are changing it up all the time, partly to improve performance, but also to try and circumvent the ad blocker (which end up adapting within a few days anyway). If it's not an ad issue, then it could be a browser add-on that somehow tries to alter or disable the JavaScript. The forum was written to "dumb down" nicely, and work across just about all browsers out there (even Lynx), but if something is interfering with it, parts of the forum are simply not going to work.

That's just the sad reality of things.

i find its vbp-api slowing it down ..from what i see on the net its not needed these days

I hope this get fixed. I can barely reply or even like a thread the way that it is. This reply box finally popped up after viewing the source of the page. I'm also seeing the problem with Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Vivaldi browsers with or without any addons or blockers running. I susoect someone's or something's scripting is causing the problem.

Yep, that seems to be the culprit. 21 seconds for it to load here.

I added vb-api.com/* in my filter list in the ad blocker and it's back to loading quickly.

just blocked it and now running stupid fast as per normal ... couldn't figure how to use no scripts so am using contentblockerhelper instead .

Yep, that seems to be the culprit. 21 seconds for it to load here.

I added vb-api.com/* in my filter list in the ad blocker and it's back to loading quickly.

Same here. Blocking that fixed the issue here. This issue still needs to be addressed on the server side.

I blocked this vb-api.com in NOSCRIPT and that took care of it for me. YMMV

just blocked it and now running stupid fast as per normal ... couldn't figure how to use no scripts so am using contentblockerhelper instead .

Same here. Blocking that fixed the issue here. This issue still needs to be addressed on the server side.

I don't know how to block that, I have ghostery but don't see it or how to select it for blocking. And I still have the issue.

With what I use, FireFox and NoScript.

Just hover over the NoScript icon in the tool bar of FireFox and click on what you want to block. One and done.

upload_2017-9-10_16-1-27.png

It would likely the same for other browsers and other script blockers. Of course YMMV.

BTW, I unblocked it just for this example. Once blocked it does not show up at this point, but it can be found as blocked if you drill down the menus in NoScript.

Back
Top Bottom