Craig 2408 Reel to Reel Tape Recorder Repair Manual

corpblues

AK Member
Looking for the service manual for a craig 2408.

It is a low end reel to reel deck but I am fixing it up for a friend. I need a new belt but can't find the manual to find the size of the drive belt.

I ordered a belt kit but it only came with 2 of the 3 belts and the provider doesn't know the size of the 3rd belt. I'm using string to measure and it appears to be just under 15" belt but I would like to be certian of the proper belt.

Anyone have the manual?

There's also a service manual for it on fleabay. Does the service manual even mention the belt size though? I've only seen part numbers in reference to belts in most tape recorder service manuals.

Does the service manual even mention the belt size though? I've only seen part numbers in reference to belts in most tape recorder service manuals.

That's a very good question. Another approach would be to check with Fred Marrs at Marrs Communications since he shows that he has belt sets available for Craig models (Craig was a division of Pioneer).

http://marrscommunications.com/

According to my Russell Industries cross reference chart:

009.0-might be a counter belt

SCB12.5-likely the main belt.

Try going to the PRB Line on this link to Russell Industries (no affiliation) http://www.russellind.com/

Might not be perfect/audiophile, but neither is the machine (no offense intended)

Craig was not a division of Pioneer (Pioneer did do OEM manufacturing for Craig) and Sanyo made most Craig items

My note about the relationship between Craig and Pioneer was based on information obtained from the Marrs Communications website (see the quote below). I did not research the accuracy of the original quote.

"CRAIG was a Division of Pioneer Electronics Corp."

Thanks for the clarification Kent. I guess this is a example of how incorrect information can spread.

A "Craig 2408" is the exact same unit as a "Sanyo MR-920".
Craig Electronics was named after Robert Craig...whom, had been the other half of the ROBERTS (Akai) import partnership with Robert Metzner. The budget line of Pioneer was "Centrex".

Back
Top Bottom