The other end of the USB cable ...

Bummer!

You can get adapters that split or adapt power just about any way you want it. If you've got an old computer laying about, you might even find something that will work in there.

CB-PWI-4P-4P2-Y13.jpg

You can also adapt an extra SATA connector to molex using something similar.

My molex connectors are already daisy chained to the point I don't want to use them.

I have an unused pigtail coming out of my PSU, it's a special Dell P6.

I ordered two adapters that should work together.

Dell p6 to sata female.jpg

...and then a male SATA to 4 pin female molex. I hope I have my gender identity straight. A man shouldn't have to deal with fuzzy pictures about this.

The male P6 is labeled P7 in the picture. :dunno:

Here's a break down on my PSU, low ripple on the 5v rail, but a potential voltage drop under high demand.

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/dell-h750p-00-review/

Last edited:
Wouldn't think daisy chaining would have any impact on power ... at least till the point you run out. In any case, you're tying back into the same rail on the ps more times than not. Some higher end supplies will run two rails, but I can pretty much guarantee that's not the case with Dell. We did a lot of those back in the workplace, and I know they had a tendency to give you bare minimum to run the options that came with a box, so luck wit dat, eh. I don't skimp on power supply - always better to have too much than not enough! My Roswill Green is good for 620 watts and the motherboard/APU only needs 60 of that ...

Holy Toledo !

The Paul Pang fired right up. Windows 10 automatically downloaded a 24 bit driver and.....

I can't over-state it. You guys have got to try this. This is probably the best $130 I've spent on my system in terms of sound quality improvement.

Paul Pang v2 card>Pangea USB cable>MusicHall 25.3 DAC (Mullard CV2493 in the buffer)>Sansui C2101/B2101>ADS L1290s

It adds to everything; clarity on the cymbals, snap on the snares, the sound is more dynamic AND smoother at the same time.

It's closer to analog for sure.

Whoa ... I'm gonna run right out and buy one!!

(oh ... wait) <G>

The adventure's just starting ... keep in mind that PP says it could take upwards of a couple hundred hours for it to break in completely. Make lots of popcorn! I've had a couple of wOw moments just sitting back listening and all of a sudden ... wOw ... where'd THAT come from? Fun rolling all your favorites that you've never really heard before.

PS ... DO double check your media player and make sure it's using WASAPI. Pleasant surprise in store if it's not and still sounds that good. WASAPI runs rings around the old school Windows default sound engine.

OK...when you say "media player"...do mean just for CDs I've ripped to WMP?

So far I've just listened to music (not just any, I'm picky about the audio quality) from YouTube. Is WMP involved when I stream music from the internet?

The "media player" is whatever front end software you use to play ALL your digital files.

Glad I brought it up. Last I heard, Windows Media Player does NOT use WASAPI ... it's about as basic as basic gets and really limited when it comes to tweaks. Kinda going the way of Internet Exploder in that support is sketchy and it's become more of an afterthought as even they've caught on that they can't compete with what else is out there. I highly recommend installing ... well ... pretty much anything else. <G>

Here's a good writeup on how to enable WASAPI on the big players ...

https://emotiva.com/resources/updates/Configuring_WASAPI_Mode_in_Audio_Players.pdf

- My player of choice, jRiver does give you a 30 day free trial to play with it, but it'll cost ya after that period.
- Foobar does require you to download an extension to enable WASAPI.
- I believe Media Monkey now includes the WASAPI plug in with the default install, but don't quote me on that.
- No idea what sort of hoops the Windows MC player will make you jump through. That's available for W10, but it's extra, and from what I understand, ain't worth writing home about anyway.

Yee Haw! Windows 10 has FLAC as an option...just discovered this.

I'm seeing that it uses WASAPI as well. :idea:

I haven't found a way to verify if I need to enable it.

FLAC's my go to format, just for ease of use. Being lossless, I can tweak to my heart's content without losing anything.

Hopefully someone can check in on how to verify that WASAPI is in use ... not familiar with how your DAC sets up and haven't played with W10 yet. I do know that any media player I've seen will list all available sound options that it finds ... here's what I see in jRiver ...

jriver-wasapi.jpg

I'm running MusicBee with WASAPI...I like it. FLAC files, only, for me now.

The big news....I just went with external power to the Paul Pang. I have an iFi iPower wallwart that supposed to be super pure DC.

I have a Singxer F-1 in the chain. The DC is supplied to the F-1 via the USB cable, the same DC that powers the Paul Pang v2 card.

I recommend that anyone buying a Paul Pang card to go ahead and get the external power supply bracket with it.

It's a PITA to install. Paul Pang did ship the bracket fast for a total cost $18, so I can't complain there.

There are two layers of PCB, with a spacer/stud holding the bracket. The two layers are glued, hence, the struggle. Took 30 minutes.

DSC00366.JPG
DSC00367.JPG
DSC00368.JPG

The iPower does sound better than using the PC's PSU.

The Paul Pang and Singxer F-1 are now powered 24/7.

The iPower is plugged into a rear outlet of my Eaton PW9130 double-conversion UPS. The Eaton has me divorced from the electrical grid.

I going to see if I can get into the habit of power down the Eaton when I go to work everyday. I think it costs about $70 a month to leave it running.

I'm not sure about the cost...the utility company raised their price about the same time I started running the Eaton.

It's cool to ride out electrical storms, though. The night after the eclipse, we had a record down fall of rain. Lightning was popping all around, and the power went out a couple of times. I kept the AV system running. I have insurance though the utility company, because I have their lightning arrestor on my meter.

I watch the weather radar, and rock out. I was starting to worry about my house flooding, though. 18" of rain in 9 hours. Looks like I'm good for 20" of rain in one day, if it quits raining after that.

Really makes a difference, right? I was real impressed with the SQ improvements running the PP/dedicated power supply setup. I'd think yours is the current version as well, which was touted as a major improvement over the one I got. Lot more money too, as I got mine on factory close out when the new one was released. Cutting edge is nice, but every now and then the cheap bastid inside my head wins out here ... <G>

One point of confusion - your PP draws power through the USB connection? Mine has a dedicated molex plug for that ...

paul-pang-acopian.jpg

Sounds like there is a slight advantage going with the internal supply like I used in that there were no installation issues. Just used some 3m body tape to glue the Acopian to the computer chassis. Of course, that assUmes you've got the room inside he case to get away with that. Then again - almost forgot - I DID have to tap the main AC in to power the thing, so probably pretty much a wash on time invested, so forget I mentioned it.

(Mentioned what?? You know - that thing I mentioned - whatever it was ... ) <G>

PS - trouble free here after about a couple years of hard use. :thumbsup:

Really makes a difference, right? I was real impressed with the SQ improvements running the PP/dedicated power supply setup. I'd think yours is the current version as well, which was touted as a major improvement over the one I got. Lot more money too, as I got mine on factory close out when the new one was released. Cutting edge is nice, but every now and then the cheap bastid inside my head wins out here ... <G>

One point of confusion - your PP draws power through the USB connection? Mine has a dedicated molex plug for that ...

paul-pang-acopian.jpg

Sounds like there is a slight advantage going with the internal supply like I used in that there were no installation issues. Just used some 3m body tape to glue the Acopian to the computer chassis. Of course, that assUmes you've got the room inside he case to get away with that. Then again - almost forgot - I DID have to tap the main AC in to power the thing, so probably pretty much a wash on time invested, so forget I mentioned it.

(Mentioned what?? You know - that thing I mentioned - whatever it was ... ) <G>

PS - trouble free here after about a couple years of hard use. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the confusion.

My DC power flow;

iPower>Paul Pang card>USB cable>Singxer F-1.

I don't have a dedicated power hook up on the Singxer, it uses the USB cable to bring the power from the Paul Pang card. But the iPower supplies all the DC at 5.17v.

They say running the power through the USB cable is not ideal....but it sounds better than it did with the PC power supply.

My DAC isn't even tied to the USB power. It has it's own supply and just uses data.

WASAPI first appeared in Windows Vista. In order to get bit-perfect, your software MUST be using exclusive mode. Otherwise...you are running shared and getting resampled by the mixer.

Not in Windows 10 - WASAPI is direct hardware. Same with Win 7.0 and 8.0. They do not go through the Windows Mixer.

Your player must support WASAPI to benefit from it. There are workarounds for players that don't, but they are just that - workarounds.

My DAC isn't even tied to the USB power. It has it's own supply and just uses data.

It is still likely galvanically coupled to the USB power as it is required for the initial handshake, because of it HF noise may trickle in causing issues.

I'd think anyone who's successfully implemented WASAPI on their system has to agree it's a major improvement on Direct Sound or most any of the buggy proprietary drivers that wre once the only options.

(and don't get me started on ASIO ... ) <G>

Most win 10 drivers are WASAPI (if they are written for Win 10 specifically) and also you get the benefit of improved USB drivers also.

The player app must be able to open the audio device in exclusive mode and use WASAPI interface to send audio to it. If your player can't do this it will send to the default audio device that will put the samples through the OS mixer butchery. Drivers or not.

Back
Top Bottom