The Official H/K Citation Owners Thread

I have a Citation XX that I don't use 'yet'. It functions as it should but I have not gotten around to replacing the psu parts Bob here sent me a while ago. I don't need a new boat anchor. I've been told Matti Otala's finger prints are inside this one.

Attachments

• P1010622.JPG
    P1010622.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 59
  • P1010623.JPG
    P1010623.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010624.JPG
    P1010624.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010625.JPG
    P1010625.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 63
New guy here. Love my new to me Citation 22, clean powerful bass, smooth, clear mids and highs. Paired with an Onkyo P306RS, and my much loved and recently re done Altec Lansing 315s the soundstage is amazing. DC offset checked out ok, and the heat it produces while cranked isn't objectionable. The speaker connectors aren't a big problem for me either, they're a little fiddly but not unreasonably so. I haven't had it very long, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

I bought the 11 and 12 when they first came out in early 70s.
they drove JBL Olympus S8R spkr systems.
After 35 yrs sold both and some yrs later bought another Cit 11 and use it regularly.
Not been recapped but sounds great as when new IMO.
Wonderful amps IMO.
Now I want a 17. Anyone?

New guy here. Love my new to me Citation 22, clean powerful bass, smooth, clear mids and highs. Paired with an Onkyo P306RS, and my much loved and recently re done Altec Lansing 315s the soundstage is amazing. DC offset checked out ok, and the heat it produces while cranked isn't objectionable. The speaker connectors aren't a big problem for me either, they're a little fiddly but not unreasonably so. I haven't had it very long, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

Congratulations, and welcome. I picked up a restored 22 a couple months back, and have really enjoyed it. Easily drives my AR 3's. The only problem is that I also picked up just after that a McIntosh 1700 receiver, and I really like that as well. With only one system in the house, I have a bit of predicament as to what gets playing time. They are very different animals, to say the least. But I'm not complaining.

Welcome and enjoy

Congratulations, and welcome. I picked up a restored 22 a couple months back, and have really enjoyed it. Easily drives my AR 3's. The only problem is that I also picked up just after that a McIntosh 1700 receiver, and I really like that as well. With only one system in the house, I have a bit of predicament as to what gets playing time. They are very different animals, to say the least. But I'm not complaining.
Thank you both.This place is waaaaay more friendly than the 370Z forum. Lol. I got bit by the upgrade bug after I replaced the woofers in the old Sonabs and bought an SX750 to run them with in the backyard party hut. I started listening to the house system again and got a little carried away and popped the woofer surround on one of the Altecs(or sparkolansing to the purists). After I got them fixed I was listening to them and told my wife "I've always wanted some more serious power behind those things". I looked at several different amps, and liked what I read about the 22, so I bought one off of Ebay. This thing certainly fits the bill, the faithful Onkyo A-5 I got from my dad is packed away until I decide which kid gets it.

Just found this thread...awesome!!! Here's my HK Citation systems. They're bunched together because I just bought my first set of tubes, so I'm rearranging and starting to sell off a bunch of gear I've collected over the past 9 months. Bought these back to back within a week of each other. That was a lucky week. Wish the 12's could be bridged just because.;)

IMG_1859.JPG

Joseph if you're interested in unloading one of those Citations still--let me know! Is there a way to PM on here so we could work something out? I'm coming to this thread as the proud owner of HK 770 which has piqued my interest in the Citations

I may be a latecomer to this thread, but I'm pretty darned pleased with my modded HK Citation Twelve. I bought it from a fellow AK'er and it's been my main office/workshop testing amp. It is fantastic with a Carver C-1 BillD modded front end.

P1080499.JPG
HK_1.jpg
P1080446.JPG
P1080449.JPG
P1080451.JPG

It is a 60 WPC MOSFET power amp based on Nelson Pass’ modification of Harman Kardon Citation 12. This was the first power amp Mr. Pass designed.

The sonic signature of this amp is best characterized by this paragraph from Nelson Pass original article: “The amplifier is sonically a significant improvement over the original, particularly in the high end where the Citation 12's veiled characteristic is replaced by a detailed, somewhat sweet sound. The imaging and midrange definition are also much improved; but the bass response (one of the Citation 12's strongest points) remains much the same…”

What’s left from the original Citation 12 is chassis, two power transformers, fuse holders and some power wires. Original PCBs were replaced with MF-12C ones purchased from diyaudio member Tazz. Schematic is an improved “complementary version” of Nelson Pass original design and can be found here:https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/citation.pdf

The last owner, who did the mods, used 1% metal film resistors, mica and polypropylene capacitors and Nichicon Muse and ELNA Silmic II electrolytes. Transistors were matched by HFE as close as possible. Input jacks were upgraded to gold –plated ones and output terminals to heavy-duty 5-was binding posts. Input signal wire is now shielded and output wire is 16 AWG UP-OCC copper.

Rectifiers in the power supply were replaced with IXYS HEXFREDs and filtering capacity bumped up to 16400 mkF per channel. The original power cord was replaced with IEC socket featuring built-in power switch.

The original Citation Twelve generated quite a bit of hum which originated from power transformers and from loosely attached top cover. To minimize that hum, he installed an aluminum plate between transformers to provide some electromagnetic isolation and also serve as support for the cover. In addition, several new screws were added to firmly attach cover to the main chassis body and new rubber feet were installed. All these mods greatly diminished hum but not eliminated it completely. However, this hum is not heard in speakers: in my system the amp is dead quiet.

Original AA article by Nelson Pass https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/build-a-mosfet-citation-12

The replacement MOSFET boards used are Citation 12 complimentary Mosfet version PCB's

DIY Audio thread on this amp Pass Citation 12

Another person doing the same mods but without the tazz MF-12C board https://www.passdiy.com/gallery/projects/132/fbj1

Got imbued with some good karma this week found my dream Harman Kardon Citation receiver locally.View attachment 975123
Wonder how it sounds. Mine was getting noisey crackleing, I thought it was driver transistors. I re-capped electrolytics in PS, Tone pcp, Driver pcp's, and Phono Preamp.
Now it's quiet. And sounds GREAT. If you would not mind sharing how much did you have to put out for the Citation receiver? I plan on selling mine soon.

Wonder how it sounds. Mine was getting noisey crackleing, I thought it was driver transistors. I re-capped electrolytics in PS, Tone pcp, Driver pcp's, and Phono Preamp.
Now it's quiet. And sounds GREAT. If you would not mind sharing how much did you have to put out for the Citation receiver? I plan on selling mine soon.

Which transistors did you replace? With what? I'm very interested.

After replacing the capacitors, my receiver was back to normal, no noise when powered up. Before it would make noise like a distant thunderstorm on an AM radio, for about 10 to 20 seconds. Also I had some DC to one of the speakers, it would travel in and then come back over a few seconds. I have seen the noisy transistor list and some of the transistors I replaced years ago on other receivers were on the list.
:D

Last edited:
I am having a problem with a citation 21 preamp. I have posted this on Solid State thread. Can some expert please chime in ? Many thanks and much appreciated !!

I finally got my hands on a Citation 16 today. Very nice clean unit, and I paid what i feel is a very fair price for it. The build quality of this thing is amazing, it looks like it was made for the military. Never has the phrase 'built like a tank' been more appropriate. It sounds great too. One thing I have to throw out there though, having this in the rig illustrates just how good the Citation 22 I pulled out really is. I'm glad the Citation gear is still so underrated, because you can get some outstanding deals compared to the more popular name brands.KIMG1044-1.jpg KIMG1041-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom