Multi client accessible music server

Bigyank

Long time Member
Subscriber
Was thinking of dusting off one of my headless severs and loading up some linux. Just now starting down the server and app lists. Anyone have anything going as a baseline or idea to share? I have 3 systems in the house and I can stream to each system individually but not concurrently.

I'm an old Systems Engineer (Unix) so not adverse to hard core compiling, etc

Last edited:
Logitech Music Server (LMS) is a mature product available across multiple OS platforms. I use it for both music and video driving a wide range of devices: microRendu player in main system. Raspberry PI/Allo player in garage, multiple Roku media players, iPad/iPhones using iPeng app (works as either remote or player) and Oppo 103. One digital library, multiple clients.

A cool feature is you can sync multiple clients to play the same content.

Logitech Music Server (LMS) is a mature product available across multiple OS platforms. I use it for both music and video driving a wide range of devices: microRendu player in main system. Raspberry PI/Allo player in garage, multiple Roku media players, iPad/iPhones using iPeng app (works as either remote or player) and Oppo 103. One digital library, multiple clients.

A cool feature is you can sync multiple clients to play the same content.

Add Plex and Roon. Both will require compatible clients/renderers.

Plex supports both audio and video content. LMS will require DIY client - there is no more commercial players. Roon is most popular platform today and have very good support of metadata, but no free cients.

LMS will require DIY client - there is no more commercial players.
Sure there are. My Sonore uRendu supports a number of server flavors including Squeezelite and Roon. Another is the SOtM sMS200. Plug n play.

urendu_sm.jpg

As for DIY, assembling a Raspberry Pi platform is as easy as, well... LMS is free. Burn an image of any number of players like piCorePlayer on a microSD card and you're in business.

rpi_d1.jpg

Last edited:
Sure there are. My Sonore uRendu supports a number of server flavors including Squeezelite and Roon. Another is the SOtM sMS200. Plug n play.

urendu_sm.jpg

As for DIY, assembling a Raspberry Pi platform is as easy as, well... LMS is free. Burn an image of any number of players like piCorePlayer on a microSD card and you're in business.

rpi_d1.jpg

There is no problem with using DIY solution for those who have some knowledge of computers. I am using second DIY player after first died. But this is not for everyone. Some people are puzzled when asked to burn image file on SD card, even less know what IP address means. Do not even ask about adding metadata to FLAC file.

Daphile uses LMS and there are several other freeware Linux systems out there. Out of all of them, Daphile is plug and play.

Some time back I tried to use Dafile on Cromebox. It didn't recognize my DAC via USB. Being strictly closed system, there was no way to find why. RPi with max2play worked nicely after some ALSA parameters tweaking.

I use some SMB grade server hardware in the garage with a NAS oriented linux distribution, named OpenMediaVault.
Its very easy to install and maintain with a clean web UI, and based on debian linux so if you're familiar with command line it will feel like home.

Main selling points for this distro over the others to me are
  • Not a lot preinstalled keeping it light
  • Power management and hard drive health monitoring
  • Dlna server option for streaming music and movies into my tv, and music with chromecast audio.
  • ZFS disks array option, for file safety
  • Apple shares for timemachine backups and fast sharing with the macs
  • SMB shares for windows and my android phone
  • UI to manage users and share easily
Works fine for 6 months since last install I love it
I try not to mess my music library with auto tagging / auto organising tools just use file sharing and dlna streaming thats it

Chromebox are usually underpowered and DAPHILE needs an Intel processor either 32 or 64 bit (that doesn't mean an ATOM either). Daphile also has been contiually updated. The new version just keeps getting better.

Your DAC has issues nothing to do with Daphile, it is your DAC.

I do not know what eats CPU cycles in Daphile on Chromebox (which actually uses Intel Celeron x64). Moreover it has enough speed to be used as my kid's main desktop with full blown Ubuntu 16.04.

RPi 3 has 10 times less CPU speed and serves me as media player running Squeezeplay package. I see no issues streaming DSD128 to my USB DAC.

As of Daphile being CLOSED system - I could help maker of it to find problem with one of popular DACs, but restrictions made it impossible. Authors of Max2Play on RPi do not have this closemindness.

Last edited:
I use some SMB grade server hardware in the garage with a NAS oriented linux distribution, named OpenMediaVault.
Its very easy to install and maintain with a clean web UI, and based on debian linux so if you're familiar with command line it will feel like home.

Main selling points for this distro over the others to me are
  • Not a lot preinstalled keeping it light
  • Power management and hard drive health monitoring
  • Dlna server option for streaming music and movies into my tv, and music with chromecast audio.
  • ZFS disks array option, for file safety
  • Apple shares for timemachine backups and fast sharing with the macs
  • SMB shares for windows and my android phone
  • UI to manage users and share easily
Works fine for 6 months since last install I love it
I try not to mess my music library with auto tagging / auto organising tools just use file sharing and dlna streaming thats it

ZFS and Boot Environments and some intelligent thought= data safety. A big reason why I "Keep Calm & Run FreeNas" With the likes of IXSystems behind them, and the power of BSD, that's what I call reliability!

Recommend Vortexbox
vortexbox.org
It's a Linux based OS with LMS server. You can add Plex, Roon.. and attach RPi's & other players

ZFS and Boot Environments and some intelligent thought= data safety. A big reason why I "Keep Calm & Run FreeNas" With the likes of IXSystems behind them, and the power of BSD, that's what I call reliability!

Yes ! FreeNAS was one of the (great) possibility, was recommend to me multiples times. Unfortunately I havent used a *BSD system in years and wanted something I can maintain without spending hours looking at documentation. I've lost enough files from years of collecting with hard drive failures and silent corruption I choosed reliability over almost every other considerations for this machine (has ECC Ram, UPS, backups)

Back
Top Bottom