New England Fall FrankenFest Saturday September 30th is in Clinton (!)

Considering age and all, they're in very nice shape. The grills have no dents, though the black cloth is gone on one of them. I actually like to see the drivers so that's no loss. There's a few minor paint abrasions so a respray might be in order but not really a requirement.

Drivers seem to be in great shape and the cabinets only have a few minor dings. For 40yo, it'd be hard to wish for better. Frank took good care of them.

I'll get a pic and video this weekend, but it'll look like this with the L980s in place of the JBLs.

index.php
Looking forward to seeing and hearing yours, and how they compare to the L166's.

Sound wise, I'd say the difference is right inline with their east coast and west coast reputations. They both have good base but the JBLs are brighter and lack mid range. The ADSs are smoother but still have nice treble. I can see why people say ADS speakers aren't tiring.

Interestingly, even though the JBLs are smaller, I think they're heavier.

I'm keeping both pairs.

The L980s are now in PabloX's hands!
Congrats! And thanks Dan @LexDM3 for fixing the fuses and inciting a bidding war!

Happy to help. Of course, if I were smart (and more than a little sneaky) I would have left them alone, bought them for $200, fixed the fuses later and flipped them. But our goals were to honor Frank and create funds and clear space for his family. Plus I wouldn't do that anyway. So fixed they were and are off to a good home with $550 going to the family.

Has anyone who obtained a microphone stand found a small mic clamp attachment that looks like the one in this photo? It goes to the USB mic I bid on, and to my detriment I did not open the box to see if all the parts were in the box. Having used this several times, Frank had it attached to one of the stands. Thanks!
UMM6.JPG

Happy to help. Of course, if I were smart (and more than a little sneaky) I would have left them alone, bought them for $200, fixed the fuses later and flipped them. But our goals were to honor Frank and create funds and clear space for his family. Plus I wouldn't do that anyway. So fixed they were and are off to a good home with $550 going to the family.

Thanks, and thanks Baco99 for all this.

Who had this table again?

That JVC integrated I bought from you sounds great!

index.php
Brian, that table was Sean (KEG47)'s stuff. I am still interested in those Allison 7's but couldn't do anything at the time since my better half was there and gave me "the look" when I showed them to her.
Me :) Her :no:

Brian, that table was Sean (KEG47)'s stuff. I am still interested in those Allison 7's but couldn't do anything at the time since my better half was there and gave me "the look" when I showed them to her.
Me :) Her :no:
I hate the look! Makes you feel so powerless!

I hate the look! Makes you feel so powerless!
Well, noting others who kept their treasures in the trunk until their significant other has left the building (I would say more than half of us who are either married or in serious relationships do the same), most of us have to hide our acquisitions at one time or another. However, I set her up with a nice Nakamichi receiver, Sony tt, Denon cd, and my prized EPI 100's. Also her son has a Onkyo receiver and small ADS speakers with my other Sony tt that I have given him. My nephew also received a system from me and I sold a pair of Ohm Walsh 1's and a sub. And donated my Crown DC150 to the cause. So... I think I am due. Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission, IMHO. Anyone else agree?

Well, noting others who kept their treasures in the trunk until their significant other has left the building (I would say more than half of us who are either married or in serious relationships do the same), most of us have to hide our acquisitions at one time or another. However, I set her up with a nice Nakamichi receiver, Sony tt, Denon cd, and my prized EPI 100's. Also her son has a Onkyo receiver and small ADS speakers with my other Sony tt that I have given him. My nephew also received a system from me and I sold a pair of Ohm Walsh 1's and a sub. And donated my Crown DC150 to the cause. So... I think I am due. Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission, IMHO. Anyone else agree?
In total agreement! Luckily my wife is great with me and gear and often sends me a pic of something she sees to see if I'm interested.

Here's a quick pic. I set them up to do an A-B comparison for my wife. Simply put, the JBLs lost. I still like the JBLs but there's a pretty clear difference.

Today I made a couple of stands for them using MDF (stained black so they won't show). They'll raise the ADSs about 6" off the floor and angle them back a bit.

My next project will be to veneer the PL550.

IMG_5594.JPG

Here's a quick pic. I set them up to do an A-B comparison for my wife. Simply put, the JBLs lost. I still like the JBLs but there's a pretty clear difference.

Today I made a couple of stands for them using MDF (stained black so they won't show). They'll raise the ADSs about 6" off the floor and angle them back a bit.

My next project will be to veneer the PL550.

View attachment 1019239
I'm not surprised! The L980's are phenomenal sounding monitors!

Back
Top Bottom