Blade Runner 2049

macyjrm

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been waiting on this one for months. Planned to go to the opening today but circumstances prevent that and I may not be able to see it for a week or so. Would appreciate any AK folks who see it to post their hype free review here. TIA.

Getting great review - should be awesome. One of those movies better to see in the theaters I bet.

Just saw it in 3D on a nearly empty showing. Some of the best movie money I've spent!

I certainly hope so.
Even for its time the original is still a fairly high bar to clear but seeing I think you usually know what you're talking about I'm going to buy some "manatee" tickets and see it in a rare venue for me - the theater! Hopefully it'll be a nearly empty showing also.

Wait what - EMPTY? How's that possible? I'm wanting to go with my kid while he's in town for the next week - but I figured it would be too crazy crowded....

Just saw it. Three people in the theater. It was raining pretty hard, so maybe that put a damper on attendance.
In short, a great movie. Kind of slow - like the original. Interesting and surprising throughout, and I plan to see it again to let some of the parts sink in a bit more. On first take I think the acting and the story line were both pretty strong. I don't want to talk about the story until more people have had a chance to see it. Stunning visuals, a HAMMERING sound track. Really - the music is almost assaultive in some parts. Gonna be fun on my home theater set up when it gets released.

Watched Blade Runner Directors Cut last night,forgot what a great sify movie it is. Going to see 2049 next week,looking forward to it.

Wow; despite the great reviews the movie appears to be bombing. They are looking at a $40 million USD weekend far below expectations. Well one thing about it if this tentpole production does not meet it box office expectations it will show up on the streaming services that much sooner.

Wow; despite the great reviews the movie appears to be bombing. They are looking at a $40 million USD weekend far below expectations. Well one thing about it if this tentpole production does not meet it box office expectations it will show up on the streaming services that much sooner.
The original didn't make much money when first released, either.

I took in an afternoon viewing of BR2049 yesterday (opening day). Background: I rarely go full fanboy on media stuff but I've long been a fan of the original movie, and have it on almost every media possible (RCA Selectavision disk, heh), so I was very geeked up to FINALLY see a sequel. To warm up I reviewed every version in the 4-disc DVD set, and I'm glad I did; there are details in the various versions which are important in the new movie. Run time of the movie is about 2:35, then 8-9 minutes of credits. No aftercredit scene. The movie is very deliberately paced (many reviews use just that phrase to describe it), and action sequences are spaced thru the film. Music is not much of a throwback to Vangelis, but there are still many familiar sounds; as SpitfireJoe notes, the audio is thunderous. I viewed it in 3D; is it necessary? My take is, yes, to properly experience the virtual character that is Ryan Gosling's sidekick you need the 3D; other holography is used at points throughout and the 3D helps to 'feel' it.

Bottom line, if you're a fan, definitely go. Many loose ends are tied up, and a few are created. It's a very satisfying sequel.
If you're neutral on the 1st movie, there are still a ton of visuals and sci-fi concepts to absorb and ponder. Reviews have noted the outstanding cinematography and there will be a few Oscar noms for this movie, even if they might only be technical ones.
Speaking to the room, if you've never seen the first movie, it would help greatly to do so beforehand.

I will echo the news that my viewing was very lightly attended but then it was a 3:25pm showtime.

Music is not much of a throwback to Vangelis, but there are still many familiar sounds; as SpitfireJoe notes, the audio is thunderous.

The soundtrack is yet another great collaboration of Hans Zimmer. This time he teams up with Benjamin Wallfisch who has composed the soundtracks to a number of very dark movies such as "It" (2017) a very disturbing movie based on Stephen King's novel of the same name, or Annabelle (2014) his sound track is characterized as "A soundtrack that channels the essence of fear". Han Zimmer is one of my favorite composers of motion picture music. His stated purpose for his collaborations is to raise the stature of lesser known composers in the genera.

There are 2 tracks from the movie not included in this OST Album. Summer Wind, and One For My Baby ( And One More For the Road) Frank Sinatra.

My Klipsch subwoofer was causing earthquakes. I took the grill off of it and was spellbound watching the speaker cone move. The tuned port on this speaker is in front below the driver I was sitting 5 feet away from the opening and I could feel the air pumping out of it. Yes it is properly setup using the Yamaha's YPAO system.

DKwJrdmV4AAMyfW%203.jpg

Last edited:
I my opinion as a devoted fan of Science fiction for more than 50 years, Blade Runner (1982) is one of the greatest science movies that has ever been. Based on the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K, Dick (1968). Blade Runner 2049 is based on the Sequel to Do Androids Dream' written by Philip K Dick's close friend Kevin W Jeter; Blade Runner, The Edge of Human. (1995).

Last edited:
The original is in my top 5 all time favorites..good to hear the new one might live up to that ..can't wait.

Just got back from it a short while ago. The theatre I was in was half-empty. Normally movies sound "meh" in this theatre but this movie sounded amazing. The special effects were outstanding and some of the "holography" or CGI they did to virtually create old characters, etc. was just amazing. I thought Grand Moff Tarkin looked extremely fake in Star Wars Rogue One. BR2049 blew that movie out of the water. They could have shaved a few minutes and paced this a tad bit better, IMHO. The replicant character "Luv" was a bit too much and stereotypical. Ryan Gosling was the perfect fit for his character. Harrison Ford was tolerable as well. A bunch of loose ends weren't really tied up and I guess they were leaving this open for a sequel but I doubt that will happen if the $$$ doesn't start coming in. All in all I like this much more than the original.

Huh.

I was a fan of the first movie, and love watching it again.

This sequel is a massive disappointment. Incredibly slow. Acting was marginal at best. Cinematography was great if you like grey. No real resolution to the story. Incredibly let down on this one, and one of the worst movies I have attended in the theater.

Regards
Mister Pig

If you will recall the original Blade Runner did not do that well either, at least to the general movie goer. I have never read the Kevin W Jeter; Blade Runner, The Edge of Human. (1995) so I don't know if the book is any good the fact I don't know anyone who has read this book does not give me much hope it is much good. There is an interesting thing which premiered on Crunchyroll, and now is on Youtube; Runner Black Out; 2022 an Anime short (15min) created By Shinichirō Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame. Beautiful anime style. When you see something like this you can’t help but wonder what a full length Anime version of “2049” would have been like.

I will give a competent production as much time as they want to tell the story and a certain amount of latitude on logical factors, but please don't get lost in the bush or the suspension of reality. I do not want a Readers Digest / Cliffs Notes summary of a good tale that needs it's own pacing to work, nor do I tolerate lazy bullshitting as imaginitive talespinning, try to make it make sense without over-explaining.
I did enjoy the immersion into the atmospherics of the bleakness, as with the first production, and the dystopian entropy as background which doesn't seem that far fetched these days. I was fine with the rest of it, the story was good and engaging, and loose ends are a part of a broad reality.

I recall seeing the first only once, I should give it another go, and this one sometime.

Back
Top Bottom