Blade Runner 2049

Yeah - a nearly 3 hour movie that makes one "think" is a difficult sell in today's marketplace. I hope it does well, as that could lead to other good sci-fi being made. How many Fast And Furious installments were there?

Yep, thinking went out of style in the early Eighties.....:yikes:. Oh wait, there is Kim, she wants me to shine all her shoes, gratis. I better get some Doan's Pills.

Huh.

I was a fan of the first movie, and love watching it again.

This sequel is a massive disappointment. Incredibly slow. Acting was marginal at best. Cinematography was great if you like grey. No real resolution to the story. Incredibly let down on this one, and one of the worst movies I have attended in the theater.

Regards
Mister Pig

I am wondering how the ratings are so high on Rotten Tomatoes because I read a hundred reviews that were carbon copy of yours. I was wondering if something was afoot because how can you have these five star reviews and then so many that were all the same, like, "1 star - Slow, boring, fell asleep, guy snoring next to me. Loved the visuals!" I mean that was the gist of the one star reviews. Very few of the five star reviews had much to say about the movie. They all gushed about the cinematics. Fine and dandy, but for a $50 outing, I need the package.

I saw the original Blade Runner in theaters the weekend it came our and it was flippin AWESOME

When you have movies like those coming out of the Marvel Studio that beats you to death with non stop action an ethereal movie like Blade Runner just doesn't hack it.

I am wondering how the ratings are so high on Rotten Tomatoes because I read a hundred reviews that were carbon copy of yours. I was wondering if something was afoot because how can you have these five star reviews and then so many that were all the same, like, "1 star - Slow, boring, fell asleep, guy snoring next to me. Loved the visuals!" I mean that was the gist of the one star reviews. Very few of the five star reviews had much to say about the movie. They all gushed about the cinematics. Fine and dandy, but for a $50 outing, I need the package.

I saw the original Blade Runner in theaters the weekend it came our and it was flippin AWESOME

IMHO, people either "revel in their time", watching BR, or they don't get it on first viewing. I've seen the first BR, over the years (including all of Scott's money grab versions), read Dick's book a number of times. Yet, the first time I saw it, I was prejudiced, I expected a "Harrison Ford" movie and was cognitively frozen. Subsequently, I saw it again, and couldn't stop getting every little detail, every idea. BTW, Scott's "retroactively changing Deckard" was bush AND bllst... Well going to see the sequel in 35 minutes, FWIW I will rate, NOT review the movie. Anyone who would like to discuss the movie I'd love to discuss via email.

I'm going to see the movie in a few hours.For me,the first BR was really the visuals.Just amazing.Groundbreaking.The reviews at the time were luke warm at best.Kinda what I felt.Fair to middling Noir in a sci fi setting.But I think reviewers often view visual masterpieces over time more glowingly.The initial reviews of 2001 and Metropolis were kind of "great visuals,shame about the story."The original didnt do very well at all at the box office,which was surprising since Harrison Ford was just coming off Raiders and was inbetween the second and third Star Wars films..I think the studio made the same mistake Disney made with the Tron sequel.They both had vocal cult followings,but neither franchise was beloved the first time around by general audiences.

I saw Blade Runner when it first came out. Years later a friend and I went to see the (then) newly released Director's Cut in theater and really enjoyed it.
I owned the DVDs and about 2 years back I got one of the 4-version bluray
sets as a Christmas present. So - call me a fan, okay??

Sounds like its worth having a go at it in the theater, hmm?

The new Blade Runner is quite good, and very enthusiastically swam against the current tide of one explosion after another advancing the movie. This is very much in the vein of "2001- A space odessey," in that the main goal is to get everyone thinking about what is happening. With some of the twists, a scorecard would have been helpful, but most all gets sorted at the end. This is one movie where reading the book first may have been helpful.

A very fun movie to ponder, with all kinds of love lavished on the visuals, the soundtrack, the stylistic cues, and continuity. The pacing is almost English in its stately pace, but this movie demands a different structure than the winking at the audience, wambam thank you ma'am action movies. A film noir is slave to its mannerisms.

Cinematography was great if you like grey.
I understand not liking the movie, to each their own. However, I can't let this slide. Sure, the opening scene is grey but then you have:

Tyrell Industries: lush golden hues full of light and shadow, the reflections of water dancing across the walls
Night scenes: Huge neon-colored advertisements in start contrast to the darkness
Scrapyard: Beautiful rust and metal tones
LAPD: Clinical and ultra-white
Dream Factory(?): Forest greens and nature tones
Vegas: Beautiful orange and yellow tones bathe nearly everything

And on it goes. This movie was anything but grey.

The soundtrack is yet another great collaboration of Hans Zimmer. This time he teams up with Benjamin Wallfisch who has composed the soundtracks to a number of very dark movies such as "It" (2017) a very disturbing movie based on Stephen King's novel of the same name, or Annabelle (2014) his sound track is characterized as "A soundtrack that channels the essence of fear". Han Zimmer is one of my favorite composers of motion picture music. His stated purpose for his collaborations is to raise the stature of lesser known composers in the genera.

There are 2 tracks from the movie not included in this OST Album. Summer Wind, and One For My Baby ( And One More For the Road) Frank Sinatra.

My Klipsch subwoofer was causing earthquakes. I took the grill off of it and was spellbound watching the speaker cone move. The tuned port on this speaker is in front below the driver I was sitting 5 feet away from the opening and I could feel the air pumping out of it. Yes it is properly setup using the Yamaha's YPAO system.

DKwJrdmV4AAMyfW%203.jpg

Didn't Zimmer also do the great soundtrack for the amazing, "Das Boot"?

I'm going to see the movie in a few hours.For me,the first BR was really the visuals.Just amazing.Groundbreaking.The reviews at the time were luke warm at best.Kinda what I felt.Fair to middling Noir in a sci fi setting.But I think reviewers often view visual masterpieces over time more glowingly.The initial reviews of 2001 and Metropolis were kind of "great visuals,shame about the story."The original didnt do very well at all at the box office,which was surprising since Harrison Ford was just coming off Raiders and was inbetween the second and third Star Wars films..I think the studio made the same mistake Disney made with the Tron sequel.They both had vocal cult followings,but neither franchise was beloved the first time around by general audiences.

That was pretty much how I felt in 1982 (although I revered "2001", perhaps because I came across a book that Clarke wrote After the movie making it more accessible). Later in the eighties, I stumbled upon Danny Peary's, "Cult Movies" (volumes 1-3). He wrote the best review of the movie I've yet to read. I started to really study the movie, first enriching the video store, then the studio, and of course Scott, who probably invented the DR'S Cut money making machine. PS, Peary's volumes go in and out of print, but they are well worth hunting down....

Damn! I was at the theater today, tickets bought online, in 3D, problem. The theater was running it in 2D, so it'll be Tuesday. "RATS". LOL!

I understand not liking the movie, to each their own. However, I can't let this slide. Sure, the opening scene is grey but then you have:

Tyrell Industries: lush golden hues full of light and shadow, the reflections of water dancing across the walls
Night scenes: Huge neon-colored advertisements in start contrast to the darkness
Scrapyard: Beautiful rust and metal tones
LAPD: Clinical and ultra-white
Dream Factory(?): Forest greens and nature tones
Vegas: Beautiful orange and yellow tones bathe nearly everything

And on it goes. This movie was anything but grey.

There are splashes of color, that is true. But for a 2 hour and 45 minute movie the vast majority of it is shades of grey. Sure its an artistic effect. I personally don't care for it.

There is a line between understated, stately, introspective movie making, and boring. This one crossed the line into boring in my opinion. But that is just my take on it, others may disagree. Yet others may not. I like a good well crafted movie like everyone else, and do appreciate a blockbuster production that is made to entertain. I can do both, and I see the appeal of both. This movie I am afraid had neither.

Regards
Mister Pig

There are splashes of color, that is true. But for a 2 hour and 45 minute movie the vast majority of it is shades of grey. Sure its an artistic effect. I personally don't care for it.

There is a line between understated, stately, introspective movie making, and boring. This one crossed the line into boring in my opinion. But that is just my take on it, others may disagree. Yet others may not. I like a good well crafted movie like everyone else, and do appreciate a blockbuster production that is made to entertain. I can do both, and I see the appeal of both. This movie I am afraid had neither.

Regards
Mister Pig

I've seen things on film that you people would never believe. Captain Pike's face resembling spent charcoal. A man affire off the shoulders of a a Red Dragon. "Divine ", Belisle, "Freaks", John Water's movies, "Zontar", teeth being drilled into without anesthetics. Surfing in Vietnam, Flesh Gordon, Delicatessen, Eating Raul, Blue Velvet....... memories....lost, like...tears in rain. Time to sleep........

Back
Top Bottom