New vs Old when it comes to speakers?

jameson24

I recently came across a set of B&W Matrix 802 for sale at a very reasonable price. I have never had the opportunity to hear them, but I know they were near top of the line at the time they came out.
My question would be, would you be better off purchasing am older top of the line speaker such as those or a modern speaker such as Martin Logan Motion 40 at a higher price?
Thanks in advance! I am new to the forum.
I haven't set a tag, but my current 2 channel system is Marant nr1607, Peachtree 220 Amp, Martin Logan Motion 40, Pro Ject Debut Carbon with acrylic platter and Ortofon 2m Blue, Parks Audio Budgie preamp.

I enjoy the Motion 40s just curious how some of you think old speakers compete with new. Thanks

Last edited:
You've opened up a can of worms, you know.
Vintage tends to provide a better "bang for the buck," but if I rise above the sentimentality for the childhood sweethearts in the living room, I realize that the modern British marvels in the home theater provide a more balanced sound across the audible frequency range, albeit at lower, less efficient levels.
I've never heard the 802's, but I know your Martin Logan Motion 40's are no slouch. A client of mine has them as his front channels in the most impressive home theater that I've ever sat in. They're a bit undersized for the room (did I say it was an impressive home theater?), but the AMT has found some pretty good homes since Oskar Heil's patent expired.
How big is your room, and if you don't mind me asking, how much for the B&W's?

Thank you for the reply! I feel the same way about the Motion 40sto this point, they sound pretty incredible in my room. Im actually asking about the B&W for my dad, (my system finally surpased his lol) I came across the b&w on facebook believe it or not and I'm not sure they know what the have. Listed at $400 for the pair and seem to be in great condition... his room has a vaulted ceiling, is about 22ft deep and 16ft wide I believe. He currently has a set of B&W dm305, which are decent but are only 2 way and is ready for a change. I figured the matrix would be a considerable upgrade from those even though they have a lot of lunch for what they are

You've opened up a can of worms, you know.
Vintage tends to provide a better "bang for the buck," but if I rise above the sentimentality for the childhood sweethearts in the living room, I realize that the modern British marvels in the home theater provide a more balanced sound across the audible frequency range, albeit at lower, less efficient levels.
I've never heard the 802's, but I know your Martin Logan Motion 40's are no slouch. A client of mine has them as his front channels in the most impressive home theater that I've ever sat in. They're a bit undersized for the room (did I say it was an impressive home theater?), but the AMT has found some pretty good homes since Oskar Heil's patent expired.
How big is your room, and if you don't mind me asking, how much for the B&W's?

$400 is too good of a deal to pass up. You'll recover your money easily if your Dad decides that he doesn't like them.
You'd spend a lot more rising above those 802's in the new market.

$400 is too good of a deal to pass up. You'll recover your money easily if your Dad decides that he doesn't like them.
You'd spend a lot more rising above those 802's in the new market.
Porkloin hit it spot on. For that price it is a steal compared to other 802's in the market. Do you know if they are series 2 or 3? I'm assuming they aren't Series 80 since you mentioned Matrix in your description.

I own the 801's, essentially the big brother of the 802's. I have nothing but smiles every time I listen to them.

I only paid 75 bucks less than that for my CDM1s, and that was a pretty good deal. 400 bucks for the 802s is a screaming deal!

I asked that very question regarding which series but they have failed to respond. Which series is best? I assume 3 but I have no idea

Porkloin hit it spot on. For that price it is a steal compared to other 802's in the market. Do you know if they are series 2 or 3? I'm assuming they aren't Series 80 since you mentioned Matrix in your description.

I own the 801's, essentially the big brother of the 802's. I have nothing but smiles every time I listen to them.

That's what I was thinking, thanks to the group for the help. Unfortunately the person has not responded to my questions on facebook. So they may already be gone. ..
I only paid 75 bucks less than that for my CDM1s, and that was a pretty good deal. 400 bucks for the 802s is a screaming deal!

That's what I was thinking, thanks to the group for the help. Unfortunately the person has not responded to my questions on facebook. So they may already be gone. ..
That would suck. I've gotten to the point where if I find good deal I just jump on it. I just did that very thing on Ebay, in reference to a Kenwood C2 to try with the Citation 16 I jumped on yesterday! Lol! Good luck on the 802s, I hope you get them.

Thanks! Hopefully they will respond... starting to doubt it unfortunately. I reached out to them last night and again this afternoon. And nothing. Good luck with yours too

That would suck. I've gotten to the point where if I find good deal I just jump on it. I just did that very thing on Ebay, in reference to a Kenwood C2 to try with the Citation 16 I jumped on yesterday! Lol! Good luck on the 802s, I hope you get them.

It sorta goes without saying that used speakers nearly always represent a better value than new speakers except, IMO, in the case where the value is primarily collector.

True, I was more curious about performance of old vs new than straight value. I've just never had the opportunity to listen to the matrix 802, I'm somewhat familiar with some of the "mid level" modern day speakers can do.

True, I was more curious about performance of old vs new than straight value. I've just never had the opportunity to listen to the matrix 802, I'm somewhat familiar with some of the "mid level" modern day speakers can do.
Oh yeah we got off topic. Very good vintage speakers are still very good speakers that will stack up against very good modern speakers guite well. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom