New guy from Maine - zero gear, zero experience

mewoods

Greetings from Maine. Just starting out looking to learn as much as I can about setting up a very nice stereo system for my home. Starting from scratch knowledge wise and equipment wise. I am a pretty quick study so plan to read a ton but in the back of my mind I wish there was a web service that I could input a budget and requirements and it would spit out a component list, or at least an adult continued ed class I could attend. But what fun would that be!! Grateful to have a resource like this forum to read and bounce ideas off of people. Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome to AK. My only suggestion would be don't blow your budget from the start. Shop smart, if buying used check resale values, so if and when you upgrade you can move your old gear. There are so many variables in the audio world it's difficult to build your dream system your first try.

Welcome to AK..Become a subscriber and snag some good deals on gear when the time comes.

Welcome me woods!! If there were 100 sites where you could input your information and have it spit out a recommended system, you would get 100 different answers! There is somewhere between no and zero "agreement" in the audio world regarding almost everything. That being said, you could easily start with the equipments listed in the RMAF "affordable" rooms. They all sounded pretty good and covered budgets from $500 to $5000. I was very impressed with the $5k system room (Aurum Cantus, Music Hall, Dana Cables) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - if you're wanting to spend that much cash. The smaller system with the KEF - 350's, PS Audio Sprout set-up sounded great also and was only $1500 I think? Anyway - best of luck in your search!

How do the deals compare

Generally the gear goes for less, sometimes a lot less. You are also a lot less likely to get taken advantage of (polite way of saying screwed). Sometimes vinyl goes for more than the auction site due to itchy fingers, I guess. If you are plan on dropping some big money, this place is much more trusting IMO. Plus, the information you gather from here will pay the fee many times over in savings on things you should never of bought. I was a member here for about 4 years before I became a paid subscriber and consider it a wise investment in the long haul.

Welcome me woods!! If there were 100 sites where you could input your information and have it spit out a recommended system, you would get 100 different answers! There is somewhere between no and zero "agreement" in the audio world regarding almost everything. That being said, you could easily start with the equipments listed in the RMAF "affordable" rooms. They all sounded pretty good and covered budgets from $500 to $5000. I was very impressed with the $5k system room (Aurum Cantus, Music Hall, Dana Cables) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - if you're wanting to spend that much cash. The smaller system with the KEF - 350's, PS Audio Sprout set-up sounded great also and was only $1500 I think? Anyway - best of luck in your search!

Thanks for this reply. I assumed there would be very little agreement on what best and a zillion options. The RMAF looks like a good place to review options. Thanks. Linking it here for others noobs such as myself.

https://www.audiofest.net/event/entree-level-room-5000/

Welcome,
BT might be the best thing you get out of here.
Reason,?
Most of us have 2 through 10 systems and have come to the realization that we can't take it with us or out SO has told us we can keep it all. It generally is well kept and maintained. And we like to keep it in the family. it also tend to go for less than Ebay prices. And we're here tomorrow, Wander around a bit (AK) enjoy your stay.

Welcome,
BT might be the best thing you get out of here.
Reason,?
Most of us have 2 through 10 systems and have come to the realization that we can't take it with us or out SO has told us we can keep it all. It generally is well kept and maintained. And we like to keep it in the family. it also tend to go for less than Ebay prices. And we're here tomorrow, Wander around a bit (AK) enjoy your stay.

Subscribed. Thanks

Good place to start would be to describe your available budget and space, as well as your musical preferences. One thing I'd seriously suggest is doing some research and planning on setting up the room - treatments and EQ can make or break the final results. Even the best of systems can sound like shite without paying proper attention to the environment.

Good place to start would be to describe your available budget and space, as well as your musical preferences. One thing I'd seriously suggest is doing some research and planning on setting up the room - treatments and EQ can make or break the final results. Even the best of systems can sound like shite without paying proper attention to the environment.

Thanks for the response. I posted more details in the thread below in keeping with the no question rule in greeting post.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....system-where-do-i-start.791920/#post-10935982

Back
Top Bottom