Help for a non-techie

iramegdal

I have a substantial amount of music stored on an external hard drive. Most of it was ripped with iTunes in Apple Lossless format. A small amount is in FLAC and a small amount is in mp3 format.
I have three stereo systems in my house. Two of them have an external Emotive DAC. The third has an HK receiver with an internal DAC. I know nothing about streaming. Is there a device that will allow me stream from my hard drive to my other systems? Will it allow me to conveniently identify and select the music that I wish to hear?

The chromecast audio will do what you need. So will a Raspberry Pi if you are willing to do a little work.

So if my laptop with iTunes is in one room and my stereo system with external DAC is in the other how do I connect the Chromecast Audio? What plugs in to what? My DAC will accept USB or optical.
Also, how is the sound quality?

The chromecast audio connects to your stereo or to your dacs optical in and the dacs connects to your stereo. You will need a WiFi network to access your library along with a smart phone.

I have a substantial amount of music stored on an external hard drive. Most of it was ripped with iTunes in Apple Lossless format. A small amount is in FLAC and a small amount is in mp3 format.
I have three stereo systems in my house. Two of them have an external Emotive DAC. The third has an HK receiver with an internal DAC. I know nothing about streaming. Is there a device that will allow me stream from my hard drive to my other systems? Will it allow me to conveniently identify and select the music that I wish to hear?

You will need to build digital distribution system. If you are not well versed in computers, then the you have two options: First is Roon ( https://roonlabs.com/ ). They have software to run on computer which will keep your music library and then you choose one of 3rd party remote players from partners ( https://roonlabs.com/partners.html ). Second option, which is plug and play, will be Sonos ( http://www.sonos.com/en-us/home ).

The chromecast audio connects to your stereo or to your dacs optical in and the dacs connects to your stereo. You will need a WiFi network to access your library along with a smart phone.
So I have iTunes on my laptop. Can I get a USB out cable for the Chromecast, and then be set to go? I can use my iPad or iPhone as a controller, correct?

I don't have an iPhone but my son does so I will check it out when he gets home from school. I think early on there was problems with the iPhone app but I think it has been solved. I will let you know.

I use my CCA incorporated into the Squeezebox system using a plugin in logitechmediaserver.

So I have iTunes on my laptop. Can I get a USB out cable for the Chromecast, and then be set to go? I can use my iPad or iPhone as a controller, correct?
If you are close enough to the Emotiva to plug the laptop in to USB, you can control iTunes with the Remote app on your iPhone/iPad.

If you want to stream from your computer that is in a separate room, you can also use the Airport Express (or a cheap knock off with Airplay) to plug into the Emotiva. The Airport Express will show up in iTunes and in the Remote app in iOS.

I haven't tried to play FLAC files in iTunes in a while, but if it isn't possible, there are several different programs that will convert the FLAC file to ALAC. (DbPoweramp, XLD, to name two).

If you are close enough to the Emotiva to plug the laptop in to USB, you can control iTunes with the Remote app on your iPhone/iPad.

If you want to stream from your computer that is in a separate room, you can also use the Airport Express (or a cheap knock off with Airplay) to plug into the Emotiva. The Airport Express will show up in iTunes and in the Remote app in iOS.

I haven't tried to play FLAC files in iTunes in a while, but if it isn't possible, there are several different programs that will convert the FLAC file to ALAC. (DbPoweramp, XLD, to name two).

I received my CCA and accessory mini plug to Toslink cable over the weekend. Set it up Sunday, running the Toslink into my Emotiva DAC. I uploaded my iTunes into Google Music Play with the Music Manager, installed the Google Music Play app on my iPhone and iPad and began listening. I am astonished by the beautiful sound quality. To my 70 year old ears it sounded as good as a CD (I guess some would say that is not so good). On Monday I bought a second CCA/Toslink setup for my other house. Will set up this weekend.
Thanks to all for their patience and helpful input. I have, however, a few naïve questions.
1. If I am not "casting", but simply play music on my iPhone, am I using data from my data plan? . It is my intent not to use my data plan.
2. Is there really no charge for the upload and use? Am I using a Google 'Cloud" for free?
3. Is there a Music Manager app, or do I always have to download it from the website?
4. If I rip more CDs, do I rip them with iTunes, then ask the Music Manager to upload again?
5. I have ripped in FLAC using Media Monster. Do I have to convert these files to ALAC in iTunes in order to upload?
6. How do I know how much of my allotted capacity I have uploaded?

Answers to some or all of these questions would be appreciated.

The phone's only role is to receive your commands and pass them to the CCA. The CCA makes the connection to the source and receives the stream over your Wi-Fi network. So no involvement of the phone's data plan.

If you haven't subscribed to the Google Play Music service, then I guess you are using the free storage Google provides. You can probably find out how much they give you and how much they have used by looking in your Google account settings.

I'm not an Apple person, so can't help with the other questions.

The phone's only role is to receive your commands and pass them to the CCA. The CCA makes the connection to the source and receives the stream over your Wi-Fi network. So no involvement of the phone's data plan.

If you haven't subscribed to the Google Play Music service, then I guess you are using the free storage Google provides. You can probably find out how much they give you and how much they have used by looking in your Google account settings.

I'm not an Apple person, so can't help with the other questions.

But if I am listening to Google Music Player in my car, playing music that I ripped to and uploaded from iTunes, I am not connected to wi-fi. Does it follow that I must be using cellular data?

But if I am listening to Google Music Player in my car, playing music that I ripped to and uploaded from iTunes, I am not connected to wi-fi. Does it follow that I must be using cellular data?
Yes.
2. Is there really no charge for the upload and use? Am I using a Google 'Cloud" for free?
Yes, really. Google provides up to 50,000 slots for songs for free.
4. If I rip more CDs, do I rip them with iTunes, then ask the Music Manager to upload again?
You can use any ripping app you want. You can also use Chrome browser at Google Music instead of Music Manager to "upload" your tracks.

5. I have ripped in FLAC using Media Monster. Do I have to convert these files to ALAC in iTunes in order to upload?
No. Technically you are not uploading your actual files. Like other services, Google uses the meta data and sonic fingerprint of your songs to match exsisting 320kbps mp3s on their servers. If no match is found, then your file (if not mp3) is transcoded to 320 mp3.
6. How do I know how much of my allotted capacity I have uploaded?
There is a track count somewhere on your library.

Yes.

You can use any ripping app you want. You can also use Chrome browser at Google Music instead of Music Manager to "upload" your tracks.

No. Technically you are not uploading your actual files. Like other services, Google uses the meta data and sonic fingerprint of your songs to match exsisting 320kbps mp3s on their servers. If no match is found, then your file (if not mp3) is transcoded to 320 mp3.

48V: Thank you very much for the detailed and informative response.

Yes.

Yes.

Follow-up question:
If I have ripped an a CD at less than 320 kbps or have a downloaded a an MP3 file of less than 320, will it also be transcoded at 320?

Back
Top Bottom