Hi-fi music streaming: People can't tell it when they hear it

JRiver's newest version has a "listening test" of sorts that converts tracts of choice into various mp3 resolutions. I haven't tried it as I really am less concerned about mp3 anyhow as storage is now dirt cheap. My issues with streaming have less to do with the sound quality and more to do with their lame interfaces themselves. Dumbed down for the masses is what you get and until they have a way to let me use my own media player to stream my subscription through I simply can't take streaming very seriously. They will simply not get there on their own as most people don't want to learn any new software but simply want to switch on some music, with limited control over it.

I'm staying at a Holliday Inn Express while on the road for work in Seattle :beatnik:. I shall have the answer in the morning. :beerchug:

Oh, and I can train about 65% of a class full of Sonar Techs to pick out man made sounds from ocean background noise. Some can some can't. Hope that helps someone's side of the disscusion.

:music:

The point being it is possible to train oneself. So there is one time or two. I think you are saying, 'well fool me once and I am done and it can't be done'. It can on average help and be done. it doesn't negate what I am saying.

There will always be outliers - does that mean the whole idea is thrown out - NO.

But if one is happy with what they hear, why train?
And if training leads to less happiness because of less opportunity for the better is one better.
Perhaps ignorance IS bliss?

foobar can let you do double blind ABx tests by yourself. Comparing flac to 320kb mp3, I often can't tell the difference consistently. Only some songs though I can consistently score over 90%, usually stuff I know well with distinct bass notes, and using my nearfield + sub setup (BG radia z1 + energy exl-e8 subwoofer). Music that doesn't have much bass, I can't score consistently on at all. I also score less consistently with headphones.

We used good quality raw sensor recordings on 1.5" tape with instructors coaching what you should be listening for. These "listening sessions" where part of various classes on acoustic analyst. I need to try out some of the ones you guys are linking.

I don't mean people have to but if they want to they can..

I know, but most just don't care that much and are pleased with what they have. Convenience and moderate quality rules the mas market.

It's basically pointless to even discuss this here as it was pointed out over a year ago when this thread was fresh, as we ain't "most folks", and "most folks" probably aren't checking in here to voice their opinion.

I don't mean people have to but if they want to they can.

For listening tests use a simple file, like a single instrument - solo piano or guitar - it really helps.

I know, but most just don't care that much and are pleased with what they have. Convenience and moderate quality rules the mas market.

It's basically pointless to even discuss this here as it was pointed out over a year ago when this thread was fresh, as we ain't "most folks", and "most folks" probably aren't checking in here to voice their opinion.

I raised my 28 and 22 year old daughters right and their systems have converted many of the BT portable friends!! I converted many myself by training them with casual listening over beers, most actually get it, a few follow through with it. You have to train your relief people. :) if they show an interest I make the effort.

Back
Top Bottom