Blade Runner 2049

I saw the movie in 3D. Quite a cinematic experience. On a scale of one to ten with ten being the highest, I would rate it 7.31.

Ok. So I saw it yesterday in Madison, MS. All my expectations were matched or exceeded. A very satisfying experience. I got really choked up during several scenes, an uncommon reaction for me. I highly recommend being familiar with the original BR Director's cut before seeing 2049. That will help with comprehension a lot.

Few sequels are able match or beat the quality of their originals. Godfather II, Terminator II, and now 2049 come to mind. Can't wait to have my own copy so I can hit the pause and rewind buttons during several scenes.

I could write my own material but your experience matches mine closely. My wife & I just got back. Lux level seating w/ 2 other couples. So glad I saw it on the big screen. May try and get back for another viewing soon as it is on its way out from first release theaters. Really enjoyed this film and I was prepared to be letdown.

I my opinion as a devoted fan of Science fiction for more than 50 years, Blade Runner (1982) is one of the greatest science movies that has ever been. Based on the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K, Dick (1968). Blade Runner 2049 is based on the Sequel to Do Androids Dream' written by Philip K Dick's close friend Kevin W Jeter; Blade Runner, The Edge of Human. (1995).

The Edge of Human
was nothing to write home about and IIRC it was far more a sequel to the movie than the novel.

Last edited:
IMHO, people either "revel in their time", watching BR, or they don't get it on first viewing. I've seen the first BR, over the years (including all of Scott's money grab versions), read Dick's book a number of times. Yet, the first time I saw it, I was prejudiced, I expected a "Harrison Ford" movie and was cognitively frozen. Subsequently, I saw it again, and couldn't stop getting every little detail, every idea. BTW, Scott's "retroactively changing Deckard" was bush AND bllst... Well going to see the sequel in 35 minutes, FWIW I will rate, NOT review the movie. Anyone who would like to discuss the movie I'd love to discuss via email.

The original cut without Ford's post production voiceovers and the post production driving away in the sunshine ending is excellent.

Last edited:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is my second favorite Dick novel and Deckard was clearly human. Scott's Blade Runner is not the same story.

1st favorite?

OT, for me it's The Man in the High Castle for me followed closely by A Scanner Darkly. Amazon's treatment of the former is excellent but they've charted their own course on storyline and it's great. The film version of A Scanner Darkly is probably the closest you get to an untainted PKD story IMO. Use of rotoscope was inspired to get the feel for the psycho roller-coaster Dick wrote about. I've read 'Androids' a few times and frankly like where Scott took the story more. 'Androids' ends somewhat out of gas.

2049 was largely a disappointment for me, aside from great visuals from time to time. Soundtrack rather mushy, just Zimmer and Wallfisch using their usual collection of film clichés. Yeah, they used a Yamaha CS80 for some of it, but they were just messing with buttons and keys...can't do better than Vangelis who was involved WITH the director from the start on collaboration on sound design, effects and music. Disappointing they replaced Johannsson part-way through. They could've edited about a half an hour out of the film, and it would've been better...many scenes went on far too long.

Vangelis mastery of theme and character was so strong that it was again used for the frozen version of 'tears in rain...time to die..." moment at the end.

For those interested, I know the gent that put this documentary together...he has a rather interesting podcast about film sound design and soundtracks entitled Soundworks, if you're a film or sound geek.

Major Vangelis fan here, tho I havent heard everything he's done.

Last edited:
1st favorite?

OT, for me it's The Man in the High Castle for me followed closely by A Scanner Darkly. Amazon's treatment of the former is excellent but they've charted their own course on storyline and it's great. The film version of A Scanner Darkly is probably the closest you get to an untainted PKD story IMO. Use of rotoscope was inspired to get the feel for the psycho roller-coaster Dick wrote about. I've read 'Androids' a few times and frankly like where Scott took the story more. 'Androids' ends somewhat out of gas.

Clans of the Alphane Moon.

A Scanner Darkly
is excellent and I agree with your assessment of how well it captures a Dick story. Blade Runner is my favorite SF movie and I won't attempt to guess how many times I've watched it. I'm going to watch it again in 2019. The only movie I may have seen more is Lawrence of Arabia. I've read Androids twice and Deckard was pretty well out of gas by its end. PHK is one of my favorite SF author's, but I don't think I'd put any of his novels in my top ten. Probably why I concur with your take on the movie being the better tale.

Last edited:
Sorry but the greatest SiFi novel is and will always be Dune.
No other is as rich in detail and still be able to capture the readers attention. Probably one the best novels in all Genre. Also though not SiFi Loard of the Rings is also one of the best ever. It might just be me but I read both of these books at least every other year. These two stories have been with me since before I could even read me mum would read thease to me at bed time.
His sick is that?

Here are some adjectives to describe BR 2049:

Pretentious, noisy, incomprehensible, forgettable (saw it three weeks ago and would be hard-pressed to give you a coherent synopsis now), incoherent and cynical.

Did I forget anything?

I agree, at times, it was a VERY noisy, an almost assaulting soundscape...kind of like they were flexing their 7.1 muscles.

Here are some adjectives to describe BR 2049:

Pretentious, noisy, incomprehensible, forgettable (saw it three weeks ago and would be hard-pressed to give you a coherent synopsis now), incoherent and cynical.

Did I forget anything?

No other is as rich in detail and still be able to capture the readers attention. Probably one the best novels in all Genre. Also though not SiFi Loard of the Rings is also one of the best ever. It might just be me but I read both of these books at least every other year. These two stories have been with me since before I could even read me mum would read thease to me at bed time.
His sick is that?
The book “Dune” is indeed a masterpiece. But the story arc got thinner and more stretched as it went along in it’s sequels. The prequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are fairly good. They fleshed did out the House Arteides, and the House Harkonnen but I did not continue with all of the others, I had Dune burnout.

I saw it yesterday. pretty empty theater. not IMAX; 2D; not small, but not a huge screen (I'm out of town with a bunch of constraints).
I've seen all the original versions; prob seen 1st movie 15+ times.
The 1st time I saw it I thought the love story w/ Deckard and Rachel was a bit weak; lack of chemistry. Later I read a book on the making of the movie and it turns out Harrison Ford and Sean Young hated each other on the set.

Anyways. I really wanted not to be disappointed by the new version. I did like it. I like Ryan Gosling and I think he can carry a movie and did so in this instance. Harrison Ford was much better than I expected; same for Dave Bautista.

I thought the story was very clever. There is nifty twist that you may not pick up till near the end of the movie. I liked being fooled by a smart script. It had the elements of a noir whodunit, just like the 1st movie had Deckard doing gumshoe work to track down the 4 replicants.

The soundtrack was a bit loud and dissonant; it reminded me of the soundtrack for Arrival, another Villeneuve film. However, the score did nod to the Vangelis score, and it largely worked.

I loved the new look of LA/CA/Las Vegas. The orange when he goes to find Deckard was gorgeous. Also the snow and rain; very atmospheric in my book. A big part of the magic of the 1st film, IMHO, was the way Scott visualized the future in a radically new way. This future takes Ridley's LA and moves it forward in a logical way. (Having read the book re the 1st movie I was watching for models and CGI; flying over LA in the rain I was a bit disappointed in how obvious the modeling was. I was also underwhelmed by the reprise of Rachel.)

I liked the meta stuff about what is being, consciousness, etc. The AI hologram who is in love with a replicant, who in turn wants to have been born so he might have a soul. Just fun. Again, echoes of the 1st film, but playing out the themes.

SPOILERS

Finally, I loved the ending. Seemed pure noir to me. K is dying on the steps as the snow falls and the Rutger Hauer theme music plays while the dad is reunited with his daughter. The detective done good and solved the mystery. As with everything, YMMV!

Last edited:
His sick is that?

Dude, Blade Runner & PKD thread not Dune, Herbert or comparative merits of each film/writer.

I like Ryan Gosling and I think he can carry a movie and did so in this instance.....Dave Bautista.

I am not much of a fan of Gosling but he pulled it off. He's somewhat like Keanu Reeves with his range but keep him in that and he delivers. As for Bautista, give this man more & bigger roles; he can actually act (vs. mug like Dwayne Johnson whom I like too). I wish his character had more duration, perhaps my only nitpick with the film.

If you didn't catch the background extras, here's more w/ Bautista -

I saw it yesterday. pretty empty theater. not IMAX; 2D; not small, but not a huge screen (I'm out of town with a bunch of constraints).
I've seen all the original versions; prob seen 1st movie 15+ times.
The 1st time I saw it I thought the love story w/ Deckard and Rachel was a bit weak; lack of chemistry. Later I read a book on the making of the movie and it turns out Harrison Ford and Sean Young hated each other on the set.

Anyways. I really wanted not to be disappointed by the new version. I did like it. I like Ryan Gosling and I think he can carry a movie and did so in this instance. Harrison Ford was much better than I expected; same for Dave Bautista.

I thought the story was very clever. There is nifty twist that you may not pick up till near the end of the movie. I liked being fooled by a smart script. It had the elements of a noir whodunit, just like the 1st movie had Deckard doing gumshoe work to track down the 4 replicants.

The soundtrack was a bit loud and dissonant; it reminded me of the soundtrack for Arrival, another Vileneuve film. However, the score did nod to the Vangelis score, and it largely worked.

I loved the new look of LA/CA/Las Vegas. The orange when he goes to find Deckard was gorgeous. Also the snow and rain; very atmospheric in my book. A big part of the magic of the 1st film, IMHO, was the way Scott visualized the future in a radically new way. This future takes Ridley's LA and moves it forward in a logical way. (Having read the book re the 1st movie I was watching for models and CGI; flying over LA in the rain I was a bit disappointed in how obvious the modeling was. I was also underwhelmed by the reprise of Rachel.)

I liked the meta stuff about what is being, consciousness, etc. The AI hologram who is in love with a replicant, who in turn wants to have been born so he might have a soul. Just fun. Again, echoes of the 1st film, but playing out the themes.

SPOILERS

Finally, I loved the ending. Seemed pure noir to me. K is dying on the steps as the snow falls and the Rutger Hauer theme music plays while the dad is reunited with his daughter. The detective done good and solved the mystery. As with everything, YMMV!

Roger, your take always from this flick are the same as mine, just stated in a more coherent way. Please put me first in line for the DVD. I want to own the physical media on this one.

Back
Top Bottom