diodes polarity in power supplies

brad44

Generally, what would occur if a diode was installed in the wrong direction in a rectifier/power supply?

Also, what occurs if a diode was installed in the wrong direction in a bias supply?

1. Most likely a short, I believe (to clarify, when there is more than one, and others are installed correctly).
2. Positive bias, which might blow a bias supply cap if the cap is installed correctly (positive to ground, generally, for tube amp bias supply). If the cap didn't blow and you manage to fire up the amp, I'd expect the tubes might not like that so much.

Last edited:
Generally, what would occur if a diode was installed in the wrong direction in a rectifier/power supply?

Also, what occurs if a diode was installed in the wrong direction in a bias supply?
Are you asking for yourself, or "for a friend....?"o_O

I haven't made that mistake yet, I was trying to explain to my son was rectification was and that tubes and diodes are both used for the task.

Thanks whoaru99 for your reply.

The purpose and how a diode is depicted in a schematic symbol is pretty telling - a diode will only pass voltage one way, if its inserted the wrong way, like whoaru99 states, it may well be perceived by the circuit as a dead short.

2000px-Diode_symbol_svg.png

1) Most supplies, where more than one diode connect together, will give you excess current draw, and usually end up with a short and a blown fuse. However, if just one diode (like a simple half wave rectifier) the filter caps will usually vent or blow up or just go open, and all kinds of stuff will happen to components which connect to the supply.

Back
Top Bottom