Classic Rock Radio FM

musichal

poet emeritus
We love to complain about programming on FM.

Here in OKC we have all three kinds of music: rock, country and urban.

Jazz? Classical? NPR sometimes between all the talk, or overnight. And there are a couple of Spanish stations. But for 24/7, we have all three.

KOMA classic rock reception is good in my home, which is in a challenging location for indoor reception. And NPR comes in well, also. Thank god for Sleepers Awake! at night.

But I listen to KOMA sometimes, too, and enjoy it every time. I just don't listen long enough for it to become repetitive. Nor do I listen frequently, for the same reason. Three hours on a Sunday morning. Wait three or four Sundays and repeat, with a changing playlist providing variety.

What I find is that I hear music I would not have chosen, but which I mostly enjoy and haven't heard in a long time. Can't ask more than that... well, we can ask, but we won't get it. And because I'm almost always at home, I'm not often subject to car audio, which for many average Americans means commute-time radio. I just don't let them burn me out. It's all in how you use it, I decided.

Here are the stations in your area: https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate?select=city&city=73071&x=18&y=5

I listen at bedtime using FM and the remote and fortunately have a few stations that play something I might want to hear. The other night I stopped on 7 different stations but have recently in the last year, found a college station in NJ that plays rarely heard classic rock. Last night Neil Young's Down by the River was followed up a couple songs later with The Letter by the Box Tops. Can always count on a Doors tune, too. Stuff that is not heard on the 200 songs playlist of the major classic rock station in the area.

Maybe that list will let you find something new.

I pretty much listen to my local NPR station. Get all the news, jazz and classical and even blues on the weak-ends. The rest of it is just a wasteland.

We have several in the Chicago area to choose from and weekend mornings feature a three or four hour block of a particular theme. One station plays music/news/movie clips from a particular year, another has an artist block with extended works from solo albums and/or cover versions. The programming is worth owning a decent tuner.

A long time ago, in a land far, far away, it used to be KHJ on AM radio.
Then it was KRLA on AM radio.
Then KLOS 95.5 on FM radio.
Then KMET 94.7 on FM.
Now, who knows?
I don't listen to radio much any more.

The only radio I listen to is internet radio Jazz24 - KNKX-HD2 (Seattle-Tacoma, WA) on my Squeezebox. I don't even own a tuner anymore.

You're missing out Carl... ;)

No I'm not. Local radio around these parts is awful. It's either oldies, hip hop, pop, country, or the same classic rock songs that have been on a loop since the seventies. I just bought a new vehicle with a free 90 day trial of Sirius XM and I don't even listen to that. I prefer to listen to what I want to listen to, which in my case is CDs in the car, not what some radio programmer wants me to hear.

I have a wonderful Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner. She had a nervous breakdown years ago that a tech diagnosed as 'compressed digititis candy-cutter ad nauseum same crappy music syndrome'. Has not been the same since.

No I'm not. Local radio around these parts is awful. It's either oldies, hip hop, pop, country, or the same classic rock songs that have been on a loop since the seventies. I just bought a new vehicle with a free 90 day trial of Sirius XM and I don't even listen to that. I prefer to listen to what I want to listen to, which in my case is CDs in the car, not what some radio programmer wants me to hear.
Did you find a car with a CD player? They are disappearing quickly.

Did you find a car with a CD player? They are disappearing quickly.

Yes I did. 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport. Another Tucson I looked at had the "upgraded" Infinity sound system. Separate amp, 9 speakers, a sub, Apple Car Play and Android something or other, but no CD player. I'm not one to use my phone as a source. I had to have a CDP. It sounds pretty good for a stock factory system, except that it could have a bit more power. Regardless, I don't drive much or very far, so it will suffice.

Carl, you're missing out, CJRT 91.1 in Toronto is a great jazz station!

I'd never be able to get that with an antenna here, but I have listened to Jazz FM 91 from Toronto on the Squeezebox. It's probably one in the same. There are hundreds of jazz stations available on the web.

It can get a little old when most of the rock stations in an area are just cookie cutter copies of each other. "The Thunder", "The "Eagle, "The Bear", etc. Ive noticed the same for country stations.

Found a new classic rock station here.
98.9. They dig up a few that aren’t totally over played.

Was getting really burned out on 96.5 and 102.5, the loop is on its 1000+ for me.

I avoid Classic Rock stations both for the music (I hated it before it was cool to hate it) and the Howard Stern wannabes in the morning. I have at least two good college stations, another that's OK but kinda stuck in Nineties nostalgia, and a true commercial alternative station that the kids like. And of course a rooftop antenna.

I have been having fun with the HD tuner I bought a few weeks ago. We have the usual FM Classic Rock "The Eagle" at 96.9 which is actually pretty much the old KZAP from the 70-80s and even has some of the same DJs since then. It is ok for a fallback, but I have heard enough "Cafe Rock" for the rest of my life. There is a newer CR station in town at 93.7 "The River" that plays a fairly different selection of the oldies so I hit that one once in a while. I really like the 96.9 HD-2 blues "The Delta" that I have been listening to. It is one of the reason I got the HD tuner for the house. Every time I go to the NPR KXJZ for some jazz all I get is some monotone robot government emp droning on about something they consider important and no jazz. We also have a new "smooth Jazz" station in town and plays the usual Kenny G/Yanni type stuff that makes my skin crawl. I was hoping it would play some Chris Boti or Diana Krall or Bill Evans type stuff but no luck.

I have been having fun with the HD tuner I bought a few weeks ago. We have the usual FM Classic Rock "The Eagle" at 96.9 which is actually pretty much the old KZAP from the 70-80s and even has some of the same DJs since then. It is ok for a fallback, but I have heard enough "Cafe Rock" for the rest of my life. There is a newer CR station in town at 93.7 "The River" that plays a fairly different selection of the oldies so I hit that one once in a while. I really like the 96.9 HD-2 blues "The Delta" that I have been listening to. It is one of the reason I got the HD tuner for the house. Every time I go to the NPR KXJZ for some jazz all I get is some monotone robot government emp droning on about something they consider important and no jazz. We also have a new "smooth Jazz" station in town and plays the usual Kenny G/Yanni type stuff that makes my skin crawl. I was hoping it would play some Chris Boti or Diana Krall or Bill Evans type stuff but no luck.
"The Thunder" 100.7 is in Chico.:biggrin: 98.5 at leased plays new and old. I miss the old KZAP. :(

Back
Top Bottom