Red Boat Fish Sauce from Vietnam, The best fish sauce I have ever tasted

According to their site:
"Red Boat uses only the freshest cá com (black anchovy), salted minutes after leaving the sea then slow aged for over a year in traditional wooden barrels."
Could it be the aging process continues once the bottle is open so storing it in the fridge keeps it at its optimal flavor?

Like Bourbons and Whiskeys once the fish sauce is removed form the wooden barrels they are aged in the maturation stops. According to what I have read Red Boat only recently added the "refrigerate after opening" to their label and that not many people refrigerate theirs. They say that you risk precipitating the salt out of the sauce's solution if it is chilled however in high quality sauces like Red Boat it isn't really a problem. Red Boat does say best used with in 2 years of the manufacturer date.

I ordered some right after reading the early posts in this thread.
It was delivered today and I like it very well so far. Thanks.

Now that I understand how Fish Sauce is used and the umami taste it adds to foods I added a table spoon full Red Boat to the traditional oyster stew I make, milk, butter, black pepper, and a can of oyster's with it's juice. Wow what an improvement I am going to make my oyster stew like this from now on.

Well I bought a bottle a while ago. At first it seemed like it would last forever.
But then a bit here, a drop there, clam chowder, meats, stews, bloody mary's, you name it, and before I knew it the bottle sits empty.:(
Gotta get a few more. I really miss the stuff.

Well I bought a bottle a while ago. At first it seemed like it would last forever.
But then a bit here, a drop there, clam chowder, meats, stews, bloody mary's, you name it, and before I knew it the bottle sits empty.:(
Gotta get a few more. I really miss the stuff.

That is exactly what happened to me, Chinese noodles, than Pizza, than steak, than hamburgers, etc, etc, etc. When I run out I have withdrawal symptoms.

When I run out I have withdrawal symptoms.
Oh no, not me, no problems here. I can stop anytime I want. Just not here, not right now, all I need is a little more, Yes! just a little moo....
...yeah, OK, I'm an addict, ...I need my Red Boat fish sauce....

On a plate pour just enough Red Boat Fish sauce to cover the bottom of the plate. Let the liquid evaporate to form a salt crush. Next plunk a juicy grilled steak on it. When you cut the steak it’s juices combined with the salt crust......

Oh! Sweet Mystery of Life
At last,I've found thee.
Ah! At last I know the secret of it all.

It’s that good :beerchug:

Put a little Red Boat in the Beef consomme used in French Dip roast beef sandwiches, Yumma-Goochie!!!

Went to our local "Market in the Square" to pick ip a few things. They carry a lot of products I don't see at the huge supermarkets.
As usual I found myself wondering aimlessly checking things out and I ran across this: POLAR brand Fish Sauce
Polar Fish Sauce.jpg
I'm low on Red Boat so I decided to grab a bottle in case I run out.
Since water is the first ingredient it's not as concentrated as the Red Boat. You can see it too by the lighter color.
Ingredients: Water, Anchovy Fish Extract, Salt, Sugar.....Wild caught, Product of Thailand.....No artificial colors or preservatives
Taste?...a little weak on the anchovies compared to Red Boat but it doesn't reek like some have said about some other brands.
Tastes pretty good to me and will do fine in a pinch. Has anyone else tried it?

Thanks for the tip on Red Boat. I have seen it in our local Asian market. I'll have to get some. I could never be with out fish sauce.
I just found another great one made by Megachef. It's really good.
In fact, we just used it tonight with some beef Pho. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom