iFI Micro iPhono 2 Phono Preamp in the house! FINAL UPDATE

Unfortunate that those fancy new small products don't get the QC they deserve prior to getting boxed up and shipped out. One would think that for that kind of coin there would be enough QC to find that problem in your second unit.

It's hard to believe that they haven't done a full-on recall. There are many phono choices out there and ignoring the problem will only hurt them in the long run. Have you contacted iFi about the second unit?

Ok! Here is the latest update:
Due to the slight hum I returned the original unit as time was expiring for me to do so, and ordered a second unit from Music Direct via Amazon. This unit runs hotter than the first and now exhibits distortion that clears up if the switch for the EQ curve is moved. This is a fabulous sounding phono preamp, but I am loosing faith in it. If the distortion continues to appear it is time to move on in my quest.
Disappointed,
Jim

Been watching this. Seems like an excellent device if working. If it sounds great in your system and it gets a recommended review, that is quite an endorsement for me. I have this preamp on my list for a possible upgrade. I use a Vista Audio now. It’s all manual in that you install resistors yourself, no switches. Very basic and sounds good (but not spectacular). Perhaps I should wait and make a 2 step move up?

Sometimes just one part not up to spec can cause these issues. I tend to believe the packaging is a very big consideration. Put this design in a quality case, with a well isolated high quality power supply. Improve the mechanical and physical layout to increase reliability —- especially heat, RF coupling and EMI effects. Use the best connectors and best wires. Well now you tripled the price, or more. Everything is a trade off.

I hope they tell you they found the problems and send you one that meets all specs.

Last edited:
I wonder if its a matter of poor quality switches since it changes if you mess with the EQ selector.

It's hard to believe that they haven't done a full-on recall. There are many phono choices out there and ignoring the problem will only hurt them in the long run. Have you contacted iFi about the second unit?

I plan on doing so today.
Regards,
Jim

Also, if you pursue one of these on amazon buy it from ifI as their packaging is much better. Music Direct just threw it in a padded plastic pouch and the one corner of the box took a hit and the divider in the box was broken. No noticable damage to the contents though.
Regards,
Jim

For folks interested in them one thing that would help is to contact iFi directly and tell them that you are interested in purchasing a unit but the qc concerns are holding you back from pulling the trigger and if you received a bad unit what would they do? Their response or lack thereof should be a strong indicator of whether you should give them your business. To ensure its survival, a small company in a niche market has to aggressively stand behind their products.

Well 5 albums in today, and no issues what so ever. I elevated the unit at both ends, and the heat issue is no longer a problem. Could be the heat buildup caused the problem? This preamp is amazing, and I will hold off contacting iFI until the problem shows up again. They are very high on their new iPower PS ($49.00) which now ships with the iPhono2. The dynamic range of 105-6 db is very apparent, and the unit is dead quiet at 72db gain. They should add feet to the bottom to elevate the unit a bit for air flow. IMHO
Hoping all continues,
Jim

DSCN2095[1].JPG DSCN2092[1].JPG

Well 5 albums in today, and no issues what so ever. I elevated the unit at both ends, and the heat issue is no longer a problem. Could be the heat buildup caused the problem? This preamp is amazing, and I will hold off contacting iFI until the problem shows up again. They are very high on their new iPower PS ($49.00) which now ships with the iPhono2. The dynamic range of 105-6 db is very apparent, and the unit is dead quiet at 72db gain. They should add feet to the bottom to elevate the unit a bit for air flow. IMHO
Hoping all continues,
Jim

View attachment 1052227 View attachment 1052228

Every little bit helps 016.JPG

I elevated the unit at both ends, and the heat issue is no longer a problem. Could be the heat buildup caused the problem?

They should add feet to the bottom to elevate the unit a bit for air flow. IMHO
Hoping all continues,
Jim

View attachment 1052227 View attachment 1052228

Heat can definitely contribute to the problem. Heat can lead to component tolerance drift and eventual breakdown.

Elevate it on vibrapods or similar sorbothane feet to help with vibration and improve air flow around the unit for better cooling. Maybe even spikes if you have any.

Good luck.

Ok, The channel drop out bothered me so I started over with different interconnects, and while the hum is still there, it is much quieter, and both channels are back. I tried the preamp with three different arm/cartridge combos, and the Dynavector 17D2mr on the Clearaudio Verify CF is the only one exhibiting any hum. The other two are dead quiet, as is the Dynavector on the MS Phonomena II at 60db???? I switched the cable load to 100pf which helped a bit. The hum is now only noticeable at levels I would rarely listen to, so I will hold off on returning it for a bit. It was packed up and ready to go, so it has been off for 24 hrs. I will let it run for several days and see if the previous hum level returns. It should be noted this slight hum was a levels I would rarely listen at with no signal input from the cartridge.

Your thoughts
Return it. Don't buy another one, buy something else instead. Good luck. :)

If it was not so stellar sonic wise, I would.
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom