Chet Atkins ~Class Guitar~

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Wow, just wow. I've sort of avoided buying Chet albums in the thrift due to the fact he's usually from a genre (country) that I'm not into. Talking to my brother a couple weeks ago he mentioned that Chet is regarded as one of the premier guitar players ever, with impeccable transitions, and I oughta give him a chance. Next thrift visit I found a mint copy of Chet's ~Class Guitar~, which is him doing Spanish classical and Flamenco (which is one of my fav genre's).

Wife and I had a listen on Saturday and our jaws hit the floor. The man's playing is perfection, to say the least. Beautiful, strong chords with yes, zero transitional noises. Check it out if you get a chance.

https://www.discogs.com/Chet-Atkins-Class-Guitar/release/3040553

It don't get any better than Chet, the man was a master. Been a fan for a long time and have about 60-80 of his albums on vinyl. I have two recommendations for you. #1 Sails CGP, #2 Neck and Neck with Mark knopfler, Both outstanding albums. ;)

It don't get any better than Chet, the man was a master. Been a fan for a long time and have about 60-80 of his albums on vinyl. I have two recommendations for you. #1 Sails CGP, #2 Neck and Neck with Mark knopfler, Both outstanding albums. ;)

Thanks man, after listening to Class Guitar I watched a bit of Chet and Mark on youtube.

Yep, Neck and Neck is a must!

Wow, just wow. I've sort of avoided buying Chet albums in the thrift due to the fact he's usually from a genre (country) that I'm not into. Talking to my brother a couple weeks ago he mentioned that Chet is regarded as one of the premier guitar players ever, with impeccable transitions, and I oughta give him a chance. Next thrift visit I found a mint copy of Chet's ~Class Guitar~, which is him doing Spanish classical and Flamenco (which is one of my fav genre's).

Wife and I had a listen on Saturday and our jaws hit the floor. The man's playing is perfection, to say the least. Beautiful, strong chords with yes, zero transitional noises. Check it out if you get a chance.

https://www.discogs.com/Chet-Atkins-Class-Guitar/release/3040553

Another worthy mention is his album "Stay Tuned" good luck finding it on vinyl though.

Another worthy mention is his album "Stay Tuned" good luck finding it on vinyl though.
Yup, That's another good one, lots of pretty big names on it with him. He also did a few with Jerry Reid that are good too. I also have ones that he did with Doc Watson and Les Paul that are worth keeping an eye out for.

I stumbled upon loads of Chet and Les Paul back in the Napster file sharing era and have been loving them ever since. If I come across it on vinyl or cd I'll surely pick it up.

His duo album with Suzy Boggus "Simpatico" is a great one, as is the albums "Read My Licks" and "The Day Fingerpickers Took Over the World" with Tommy Emanuel.

Every time I hear a Chet Atkins track, I'm amazed by how *clean* he plays...as if the guy never hit a bum note in his entire life. It's gotta be true, right? :thumbsup:

I occasionally see an album he recorded with Roger Whittaker in the early 80's, "Changes." I haven't heard it myself, but it may be worth a listen, too.

Every time I hear a Chet Atkins track, I'm amazed by how *clean* he plays...as if the guy never hit a bum note in his entire life. It's gotta be true, right? :thumbsup:

I occasionally see an album he recorded with Roger Whittaker in the early 80's, "Changes." I haven't heard it myself, but it may be worth a listen, too.

I'm not a guitar player, but his transitions are unbelievable!

Chet Atkins records sound better than any other records to my ears (I'm a 24 bit streaming guy) for some reason. My favorite is "Teen Scene."

His contributions range way beyond ‘just’ being a great guitarist, influencing and producing for almost innumerous luminaries in Nashville, across genre boundaries. And reputed to be among the most genuinely good human beings in the industry.

And yeah, Neck and Neck one of my favorites - good time to resurrect with Dire Straits induction in the HOF

I read once that Chet was maniacal about his sound and spent hours working on his tracks in his home studio, which was apparently pretty high end. He also practiced daily and focused on clean right hand technique. I have listened to lots of his recordings and his playing is impeccable. I have most of the records mentioned and they are great.

Neck And Neck was begotten by the 1978 session Chet played with Les Paul, which produced two albums, Chester and Lester, and Guitar Monsters.

Chester and Lester is a fun album -- two masters, at times cutting up between takes too, hollering to the producer "leave that in!" and laughing. I think that all of Chet's intrumental albums are very listenable and full of exquisite playing. Even the ones based on country songs, are more hip than twangy.

There's a funny story I heard about Chet playing guitar with a bunch of good old boy musicians on somebody's porch one time, and, when the time came for him to call out the next tune for everybody to play, along with the title he called out a typical jazz key for the song to be played in. It is said that the sound of capos sliding on everybody else's instruments could be heard for miles.

His duo album with Suzy Boggus "Simpatico" is a great one, as is the albums "Read My Licks" and "The Day Fingerpickers Took Over the World" with Tommy Emanuel.
Thanks to this old comment of yours I just ordered "Simpatico", it was in a 4 lot of Suzy Bogguss cds on that auction site. None of the 3 cds of Suzy's that I had were in the group, so that worked out well.

Something else I like about Neck and Neck is it sounds like they just had a ball doing it.

Back
Top Bottom