Altec phone home ?

Oh, also, in a (perhaps) more worthwhile vein ;)

Here's a good place to look for Fukuin/Pioneer ephemera. Not encyclopedic, but better'n nothin'.
Offered here just in case any of youse guyses were unaware of it.

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/index.html
more on-point: http://www.audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/index.html

There's also a brutal and perplexingly incomplete transliteration at:
http://audio-database.com/

pim-16a.JPG

Now you tell me...

Nobody ever asked. I don't guarantee it to be true but three guys who knew the drivers seemed to agree on this point.

I have a pr of PIM-6 but never tried them out. I'd bet they are quite good for nearfield listening of solo lute music and the like.

I have no problem with the pro Altec guys mingling with the hobbyist who are trying to learn something. Over at the AUB I read all the threads, never know when something new will come up.
Heck, when I got into Altecs not that long ago I spent a lot of nights reading the AUB forum starting with page 1 and working up to the present, skipping the questions that are commonly asked by the new folks. I forget most of it but I know where to find the info if I need it.
A lot of times there are 2 or 3 post on Altecs in the speaker forum on any given day, I would love to see an Altec specific forum.
As far as that JBL forum, they have convinced me to never own any JBL gear. Maybe to flip, but that is about it. I have never been treated so rudely on a forum in my life. It's supposed to be a joint Altec/JBL forum, maybe the members hate having to be shared with a company that built the best sound stages for decades. Last time I posted anything on there I was belittled with links to stupid tiny Altec speakers, the kind you use with a cell phone. JBL seems to be doing quite a bit of marketing in that arena as well these days. Seems a lot of those JBL guys have quite a few insecurities.
Rant off.
I would support an Altec forum on here and it seems that there is a core of Altec members that would to.

BillWojo

Here's a good place to look for Fukuin/Pioneer ephemera. Not encyclopedic, but better'n nothin'.
Offered here just in case any of youse guyses were unaware of it.
You never run out of links! :) Thanks! :)
I put out searches for the PIM-8's/Lafayettes. . Maybe I'll find some to try. I know I'm not going to find 755a's.

I have a pr of PIM-6 but never tried them out. I'd bet they are quite good for nearfield listening of solo lute music and the like.

I got a pair of PIM-6s at a thrift store in the 90s and they had more “snap” (term coined by you) than the similar sized Diatone PM610. I kept those because my friends wanted a bit more bass which the PIM8/SK98 delivered.

Damn, I should list my extras now that I have the market all fired up!:rockon:

As far as that JBL forum, they have convinced me to never own any JBL gear. Maybe to flip, but that is about it. I have never been treated so rudely on a forum in my life.

Ahhh...there's nothing like groupthink backed up with a dimwitted, self-serving conception of "Science" to create a welcoming kumbaya sort of community spirit.

But, everybody thinks THEY are the coolest and can find others of similar mind to form an exclusive mini klan. The internet just makes it easier.

In my Asian WE gang circles, saying "He likes JBL" means your taste is entirely dubious, favoring brash presentation and bad highs, car audio for the home. Vintage Tannoy means you like slow, boring sound, maybe understandable if you are 83 years old. Advocating RCA theater gear means you are basically "retarded." (exact non-PC quote, translated from Korean).

Altec is perfectly acceptable and perhaps the next best thing if you can't own Western.

As an anthropologist, I recognize that this set of preconceptions is more about group bonding than ranking brands in sound quality, but that doesn't mean that it is not generally true! :biggrin:

opa1,

TIP: Be sure to tell the seller to cover the cone with stiff cardboard or other rigid substance. Two out of three single PIM8s that I bought on ebay were destroyed in shipping. Those cones are fragile as heck.

opa1,

TIP: Be sure to tell the seller to cover the cone with stiff cardboard or other rigid substance. Two out of three single PIM8s that I bought on ebay were destroyed in shipping. Those cones are fragile as heck.
Ever see what happened to Redboy's Altec scroe some years back? :(

upload_2017-12-11_12-1-53.png

I've been extremely fortunate, really... I've had very few losses due to shipping damage over the years. The 414s above were the epic fail exception, so far.

Back
Top Bottom