Bolivian Rosewood plinth and a few other tricks

38232952074_e00306e6b6_h.jpg

Rega RP6
Benz Micro Gold
A plethora of other mods

29519472622_68868cca3b_b.jpg

32880227666_763a7887e9_b.jpg

Love that Thorens plinth. Great taste.

Pioneer PL-15D-II which I am looking at refurbing, it needs a new belt-cleaning-oiling, but there is one capacitor (I think it is a capacitor) that may need to be replaced. It is marked "474M AC125V ECQ-UD °F", should I replace it? Looking to replace the catridge and stylus also, any recommendations?

Pioneer PL-15D-II which I am looking at refurbing, it needs a new belt-cleaning-oiling, but there is one capacitor (I think it is a capacitor) that may need to be replaced. It is marked "474M AC125V ECQ-UD °F", should I replace it? Looking to replace the catridge and stylus also, any recommendations?

If you are thinking of replacing capacitors, you must be having problems. What issues are you having ? Being marked 125v means its in the power stage and is likely there to prevent popping when you switch the deck on and off.

The only caps really which would need doing are caps in the signal path but on most turntables, there are none so you don't need to worry.

Just bought a demo WT Simplex from Brian at Whetstone Audio here in Austin at lunchtime today. It came with an Ortofon Black, which I'll thrash so I can justify what I ultimately want to run on the Simplex: a London Decca Super Gold! I also bought a cool lesser-touted phono stage, a Sugden A21SE Phono Two. I never even knew Sugden made phono stages. What I don't know is vast.

BTW, Brian was playing some jazz on a P3 with an Ortofon Blue through a big 805 Line Magnetic amp into Harbeth 30.1s. That sounded pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Just bought a demo WT Simplex from Brian at Whetstone Audio here in Austin at lunchtime today. It came with an Ortofon Black, which I'll thrash so I can justify what I ultimately want to run on the Simplex: a London Decca Super Gold! I also bought a cool lesser-touted phono stage, a Sugden A21SE Phono Two. I never even knew Sugden made phono stages. What I don't know is vast.

BTW, Brian was playing some jazz on a P3 with an Ortofon Blue through a big 805 Line Magnetic amp into Harbeth 30.1s. That sounded pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Please don't thrash the Ortofon Black! :no:

Me: U-Turn Orbit Black w/ onboard Pluto Preamp and a Grado Green Cartridge
U-Turn Orbit Maple w/ a Grado Black Cartridge

The Wife: Denon DP-15F w/ an Audio Technica AT-91 Cartridge

Had a Denon DP-51F, loved it, let it go due to to many computer board issues, Bought the U-Turns and never looked back. Love em to death. Great american made quality tables at a phenomenal price point. Don't judge them till you've tried one.

If you are thinking of replacing capacitors, you must be having problems. What issues are you having ? Being marked 125v means its in the power stage and is likely there to prevent popping when you switch the deck on and off.
The only caps really which would need doing are caps in the signal path but on most turntables, there are none so you don't need to worry.
The only issue I have is that audio does not sound right to my ear, too much mid-range overpowering the highs and lows. I assumed that a 45 year old capacitor should be replaced and could be causing poor audio just like old capacitors in a speaker. The capacitor I mentioned is the only one the TT has and if it is for power I will leave it. Maybe the cartridge and needle is causing the poor souind?

The only issue I have is that audio does not sound right to my ear, too much mid-range overpowering the highs and lows. I assumed that a 45 year old capacitor should be replaced and could be causing poor audio just like old capacitors in a speaker. The capacitor I mentioned is the only one the TT has and if it is for power I will leave it. Maybe the cartridge and needle is causing the poor souind?

More than likely yes - you will see the tonearm wires going directly from the base of the arm to the RCA and / or DIN outputs on the turntable, they don't pass through any capacitors. There could be other factors affecting audio quality such as tonearm balance and cartridge alignment (plus correct anti-skating setup). Have you followed the many online guides to get the turntable set up properly - it could be something relatively simple that is causing the problem.

The only time where capacitors could be a factor is if the turntable had a built-in preamp. In that situation, old caps would be somewhere in the signal path and it would be worthwhile to replace them.

Whatta nice collection, Grump!
I have (on the premises) the Denon DP-47F, an original one, I think from 86? mebbe 87 (they list for about twice what it was, then); the venerable Technics SL-23, a belt-drive manual table; and, in the OBM, a Fisher MT-6330, a semi-automatic, graced with a Shure V15 Type 3, mebbe 2, it has the "stabilizer" that looks like a brush. That TT has been boxed up, with a newer cartridge, since I got the Denon.
On the way are the Technics SL-1300 and the Optonica RP-4705.
I'm really glad you posted your list, G, 'cause I was beginning to think I was well off the shelf.

pete
Heres a short list of mine.

Thorens TD145MK
Thorens TD160
Garrard AT6
Marantz 6100
Marantz 6200
Marantz 6300
Technics SL-D2
Technics 1301

I have a few others but they are just sitting on shelves. My Favs are the Thorens Obviously followed very closely by the AT6. I have had my SL-D2 for more years than I care to admit and it has served me very well. I had to retire it to the shelf when one of the kids got to it with a marker. Lets just say I was not a happy camper at all !!!! some day I hope to have a Mitchel Gyro Deck. and maybe even an Oracle. For now I am very content with my small collection.diamondaa

Dave
I have an Lt 30 with diamond needle any idea what I can sell it for?

Back
Top Bottom