JVC JR-S600 Mk1 and Mk2 receivers compared..

steveUK

I've read the specs so I know the differences between JVC's JR-S600 Mk1 and Mk2 receivers - spec-wise. Essentially, the Mk 2 has 10W more power/ch, 0.02% lower harmonic distortion, 5dB lower S/N on the MM input, and it weighs 0.7kg more!

I'd like to know from anyone who has owned both receivers what their views are, the two compared. Do they sound different? FM/AM performance? build quality/looks? desirability? Whatever, just your views of the two compared.

BTW, in my case my room is only average size and I don't listen at particularly high volumes, so the difference in power and perhaps the distortion figure too (I would think) make little difference. But that doesn't account for other 'un-quoted' differences in circuit design etc. Thanks.

I can't speak about the 600, but the JR-S300 MkI and MkII are very, very similar internally. I have a MkI and use the MkII service manual for everything-- there's one box listing a few transistors that differ from version to version, and adding one switch.

I've heard the 600 is pretty hard to work on because of its complexity compared to lower models, so you might consider going for a smaller model-- the 300 or 400-- instead if you don't need the wattage

Thanks Hak Foo. I have bought a 600 mk1 although I have yet to collect it, and was just wondering wrt my original post. Seems the mk1 and mk2 models are quite similar then if they follow the rule of the 300. More a case of 'this years' facelift and a slight spec upgrade rather than a 'remake' due to some bad design or something.

I collected my 600 today. In smart condition and working too! Just one thing, reading through the user manual that came with it (always nice to have) it says about the noise reduction (NR) switch (no mention of Dolby BTW) :

"In certain areas, noise reduction processed FM progams are broadcasted. These programs have been processed in the same way as certain tapes are processed, with low level, high frequency sounds boosted before transmission. To reproduce these correctly they must be noise-reduction processed in the reception system to de-emphasize the boosted sounds before you hear them. The result is FM with a better signal to noise ratio. By pressing the FM NR switch ON, these broadcasts can be enjoyed by owners of the JR-S600."

Clearly, JVC were avoiding paying for the Dolby FM noise reduction licence by designing and fitting their own 'similar' circuit! I wonder how different it was? Maybe just a relatively crude low pass filter operating a similar point to the Dolby circuit. Who knows? Anyway, the switch serves no purpose now, just an interesting bit of hifi history.

20171217_150044.jpg 20171217_150104.jpg 20171217_150044.jpg 20171217_150104.jpg

They did the same on cassette decks... ANRS and Super ANRS. I think ANRS was compatible with Dolby B but Super ANRS may or may not have been compatible with Dolby C.

I remember ANRS and Super ANRS but I didn't think that they were supposed to be compatible with Dolby NR. Saying that, I guess for most people, even if they didn't track exactly, the effect was near enough and it enabled JVC to make the product cheaper to buy - or they made more profit, whichever!

Well, I doubt it, Dolby was 'da thing' in those days. I worked in an electronics company we had a staff sales shop that sold stuff from other member of the group including Ferguson, Goodmans, Ultra and HMV hifi and audio products. I remember one day mooching around the shop and a middle aged woman was looking at a cheap and nasty music centre and she referred to "the Dolby deck", such was the familiarity of even the layman with the term 'Dolby' that it was even used instead of the word 'cassette' !

I collected my 600 today. In smart condition and working too! Just one thing, reading through the user manual that came with it (always nice to have) it says about the noise reduction (NR) switch (no mention of Dolby BTW) :

"In certain areas, noise reduction processed FM progams are broadcasted. These programs have been processed in the same way as certain tapes are processed, with low level, high frequency sounds boosted before transmission. To reproduce these correctly they must be noise-reduction processed in the reception system to de-emphasize the boosted sounds before you hear them. The result is FM with a better signal to noise ratio. By pressing the FM NR switch ON, these broadcasts can be enjoyed by owners of the JR-S600."

Clearly, JVC were avoiding paying for the Dolby FM noise reduction licence by designing and fitting their own 'similar' circuit! I wonder how different it was? Maybe just a relatively crude low pass filter operating a similar point to the Dolby circuit. Who knows? Anyway, the switch serves no purpose now, just an interesting bit of hifi history.

View attachment 1067882 View attachment 1067883 View attachment 1067882 View attachment 1067883
A real beauty you have there! These models are harder to find, you did well!
Cheers, Glenn

Well, collectors haven't gone mad over them like they have Pioneer, Marantz and certain other monster receivers. So it means they can be had for a reasonable sum.

Back
Top Bottom