HDMI to usb? Can I do that with my Oppo?

crouse

Poorly known member
Subscriber
I've been thinking about upgrading my disc player, but I may only need to upgrade my dac. But I would need a way to get the SACD signal to a dac that can handle that. The Oppo will only output the SACD signal via hdmi and the dacs that do DSD all seem to use usb inputs. Is there an adapter that with a usb connector on one end and an hdmi on the other that will work?

Have you tried doing a casual Google search? I saw adapters being sold on Amazon. I don't know how well they work, though.

I don't think you'll find an HDMI to USB adapter. You may find some sort of "device" - meaning a video processor/switcher/converter that can extract the audio from an HDMI signal. The ones I've seen usually offer a 2 channel stereo mix-down to analog and/or 48kHz digital. There are a couple or three DACs that offer HDMI inputs, but they are a bit pricey - the NAD M51 comes to mind.
Good luck with your search.

I've been thinking about upgrading my disc player, but I may only need to upgrade my dac. But I would need a way to get the SACD signal to a dac that can handle that. The Oppo will only output the SACD signal via hdmi and the dacs that do DSD all seem to use usb inputs. Is there an adapter that with a usb connector on one end and an hdmi on the other that will work?

I didn't ever seen HDMI to USB audio converter. What you can get though is HDMI to SPDIF converter. They are called HDMI AUDIO DE-EMBEDDER. But of cause you won't see DSD stream sent through it. But if your SACD transport can convert DSD into high-res PCM (usually 24/88.1), you can use your DAC with it. I use that setup with my Oppo 980 transport and TEAC 501 DAC. When buying de-embedder, make sure it supports high-res PCM, some are limited to 16/48.

That should work if the player will convert DSD to PCM. There was no mention of directly accepting DSD from what I saw.

Have you found a solution?

If not, what types of discs and file formats (audio and video) do you want to play? What is your budget?

Are you considering an Oppo UDP-205?

The UDP-205 will play (almost) all digital audio and video formats: UHD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, SACD, hi-res FLAC downloads, hi-res DSD downloads, CD, DVD, etc. (The UDP-205 can’t decode HDCD; it will play HDCD discs as a CD.) The UDP-205 has “audiophile grade” DACs and analog circuitry built-in, and doesn’t need an external DAC to achieve excellent sound quality.

The Oppo’s variable output can directly drive power amps, in addition to integrated amps and preamps. This effectively adds a remote volume control to vintage amps. I drive vintage tube power amps with my UDP-205 (and BDP-105 and BDP-95) – i.e., no pre-amp. Stereo and multi-channel.

The UDP-205 (and BDP-105) has digital inputs allowing use of its DACs by an external device. I have a Chromecast Audio connected via TosLink to my UDP-205, facilitating streaming audio such as Spotify Premium and Tunein radio. In a different system, I have my HDTV connected via TosLink to my Oppo BDP-105.

The UDP-205 includes the option of “bass management” – i.e., an adjustable crossover, and supports 2.0, 2.1 (i.e., stereo plus sub) in addition to 5.1. No need for an external crossover, DAC, pre-amp, pre-processor, or AVR.

The UDP-205 also has a headphone jack.

What is driving the need for an external DAC?

Last edited:
To robert_kc: I don't know if I have a "need" for an external DAC. It's more wondering if I could get better sound from an external DAC while using the Oppo as a transport. If I did that, I would want to be able to listen to SACD, thus the need for the ability to get the DSD signal from the Oppo to an external DAC. I am seriously considering the Oppo UDP-205. Just don't know for sure if it would be a sound upgrade and don't have a way to listen to my Oppo BD95 and the Oppo UDP-205 back to back without buying the newer player. I am being fitted for hearing aids next week and have decided to suspend any search for better sound until after I get the hearing aids dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom