Looking for a usb DAC/headphone amp/ with pre-outs

Huck

Hi:
I am looking for a usb/DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp with RCA or XLR variable pre-outs,something that I can control the volume (by way of actual rotary volume control) of my powered speakers and headphone volume seperately,or at least when I plug in headphones,the RCA or XLR pre-outs are muted.
Not really looking for tubes,but can be either usb powered,wal-wart or mains power....no batteries please,also not interested in DSD or MQA...(only stereo 16/44).
Looking to spend up to 8 hunnit CAN bucks.
Schiit Jodenheim and JDS Element are out due to the fact that they won't do the volume adjustment thing I want.
Headphone listening is secondary,computer listening via JRiver and Spotify Premium with powered speakers is primary.Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
You could do a lot worse than the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus.

It has everything you are looking for, including XLR outputs, and fits easily into your budget. It has two digital inputs, both of which can be used with optical or coaxial, and also has digital output.

The only downside is that it requires an add-on (BT100) to be able to use BlueTooth.

Emotiva Stealth DC-1 has variable line-level output. If buying used isn't out Benchmark DAC1, or maybe the Centrance DACmini CX with the optional variable output mod.

Emotiva Stealth DC-1 has variable line-level output. If buying used isn't out Benchmark DAC1, or maybe the Centrance DACmini CX with the optional variable output mod.
Looking hard at this one....(Centrance DACmini CX)....but with the variable output mod and black colour,we are looking over $1K CAN easy! ....not sure if I want to go that high just for computer listening?! Huck
*EDIT* - Looks like this product has been discontinued awhile ago,according to the maker!
What else to look at?? Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Looking hard at this one....(Centrance DACmini CX)....but with the variable output mod and black colour,we are looking over $1K CAN easy! ....not sure if I want to go that high just for computer listening?! Huck
*EDIT* - Looks like this product has been discontinued awhile ago,according to the maker!
What else to look at?? Thanks,Huck

Yes, it's an older unit but it is pretty good still. For around $200 used it's great value and will do what you need if you can find one with the variable output mod. Another option is a passive preamp between the dac and speakers, Schiit Sys isn't expensive and works pretty well.

Yes, it's an older unit but it is pretty good still. For around $200 used it's great value and will do what you need if you can find one with the variable output mod. Another option is a passive preamp between the dac and speakers, Schiit Sys isn't expensive and works pretty well.
Thanks...I would really like to keep everything in a one box combo unit...no room on desk. Huck

Teac UD-301 maybe? Just noticed it has a fixed /variable switch on the back and Xlr outputs. Or UD-503 but more money.

Teac UD-301 maybe? Just noticed it has a fixed /variable switch on the back and Xlr outputs. Or UD-503 but more money.
Yeah...somethin' like that....a little large for my desk,but...maybe. I looked at that one before. Thanks,Huck

There's also Arcam irDAC-II, but it has no physical volume control knob. It was discontinued too but you might be to find one still new in box.

How about Schiit Fulla 2?
That one looks possible,just have to grab a 6 foot 1/8" to RCA stereo cable to plug into my powered speakers.
Output is supposed to mute when a headphone is plugged in which works for me.
My existing Audioengine D1 works the same......wondering how the sound would compare?! Thanks,Huck
*EDIT* Thanks to all who commented...I just bought a Schiit Fulla 2.
Hope I didn't go too cheap.! Variable RCA outs and outs are muted when phone is plugged in...what I was looking for! Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
i was looking at this on audio advisor and it looks like it does everything you want
Parasound Zdac v2
at least i think it does....

Yeah...that's cool..separate volume controls for headphone and RCA outputs.....not really any room on my small desk for it,but hopefully the new Schiit will keep me satisfied for a while..I hope! Thanks,Huck

Just received my Schiit Fulla 2 today and it came with a dead right channel on the variable output on rear,also,I also could not plug in my 1/8" TRS male to stereo RCA male cable to the variable output on rear due to the top housing blocking the insertion of the 1/2" diameter steel connector barrel....BUMMER!!...now pack it up and send back to the U.S. for replacement,or tell em to keep the piece of Schiit! Huck

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that your Fulla came in toes up. Since your back "in-between", I'll offer a suggestion. The Oppo HA-1 seemed to fit your requirements. It seems to have been discontinued, so if you're not averse to used, it might be an option. In any case, I hope you get the Fulla squared away - it's always a letdown when you're expecting something new and there are problems.

Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom