Who's listening online? And with what?

NOT listening online via this BT Speaker, lol. Pretty sure it sounds like poop.

yYeXCK6s6dc5KnmKpFRMzWnyYWKdM7zSJRRxvr3jvX_nJaBhufIsSERya4bPQbrK12WfbZcqJ1wKSt7pF6pV21ZHJvvgWKmnzdAlOhneFTfXAU3kB8r2m4lQNWo9izgHiLRQ6w1ZVbmQ_XjG3VgYV3TAeBO3SsbOhni-B_NEDVEOBBjkYA=s500-pd-e365-pc0xffffff

After an afternoon of Christmas shopping, AccuRadio - Holiday Jazz channel. So far, 'Trane's "Greensleves," Nat King Cole's "Christmas Song," and Ellis Marsalis on "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." Jazz is weird Christmas music - it's either not enough jazz or not enough Christmas for some folks. I listen until my wife makes me throw on something more traditional.

Anyway, through the Sonos Play:1s.

s.

Trying out the Hi-Res tracks at http://www.neilyoungarchives.com

Sounds pretty good, Laptop > CCA > Topping D30 > Kenwood KRF-V5060D > Polk Monitor 5a

Eric

Me too! Sounds great, hadn't realized he'd kicked open the doors on this. Thanks so much for posting this

Love to burn -> desktop -> irdac II -> yammie RX-v1200 -> Gallo CL-1 + velodyne FSR-10
(the Gallos are 90 db/watt.... the temptation to see how accurate the volume control on the amp is is vewy vewy tempting. It was reasonably
accurate in the 10 db hop from 80-85 to 90-95 and reported another 30 db available.... Later I'll head to the living
room and see how this sounds through the laptop, the little schiit, the integrated and the Thiels)

iPhone - tidal - Amos Lee Spirit - Airport Express - PS Audio DL III - X-Can V3 - Senn HD 580 headphones ( slightly modified)

Saturday morning AccuRadio, Christmas Jazz channel. Got snow this week - they were forecasting 10-18 inches in my little town. Didn't happen, but we got half a foot. Enough to say definitively, winter's here.

I'm coming around to Chicks' POV on AccuRadio; as much as I like the variety and the price, the sound isn't great. Better than S/XM in a car, but noticeably worse than Pandora or the other streaming services, as heard on my Sonos Play:1s.

s.

The annual Tree-Trimming edition of John Pizzarelli’s Radio Deluxe via the kitchen Sonos One.

I figured you would have Alexa sing you a carol. (Which is one of her many skills) :)
She has WAY too many skills now to know them all, lol. I do say “good morning” to her most days. She informed me that today is Dame Judy Dench’s birthday. Happy birthday, Judy!

Last edited:
Classical Radio.jpeg

Finally, Christmas music I can take (sort of). This year, almost everything holiday drives me to distraction, and the "Classical Christmas" channels on S/XM and Pandora have too much classical lite for my taste. But this channel's the real deal, spare, reverent, conjures up the actual point of the holiday, without being precious and new age-y.

Tired tonight. We've had a lot of snow already, with another two days of it coming up fast. So no stereo, no vinyl, just the crappy little speakers in the Lenovo T420 Ubuntu laptop.

s.

Last edited:
"Classical Music With Lauren Rico," Symphony Hall channel, S/XM. I think it's an all-Beethoven night; earlier I heard his bagatelles for piano. After midnight, if i can make it that long, supposedly Handel's Messiah.

s.

Was strolling through Best Buy yesterday with $50 in rewards points burning a hole in my pocket. Stumbled on a pair of Insignia (house brand) Smart Speakers, powered by Google's voice platform. Both have clock display on front, so I'm instantly thinking nightstand and/or bathroom. Listening test quickly eliminated the smaller ($49) one, tinny sounding. The larger one, just $69, sounded surprisingly rich, without the boominess so typical of small, ported speakers. Plus, it had Chromecast and Bluetooth support, and a battery rated for 5 hours. Patio, back yard, wherever, even without WiFi as a (somewhat large) portable BT speaker. Handle built into back makes it very easy to carry.

So, about $21 after taxes for a decent sounding, very versatile portable voice controlled speaker? No brainer. Listening on battery power at the moment, but it will live on my nightstand, replacing a Squeezebox Radio.

IMG_20171220_090504.jpg IMG_20171220_090359.jpg

Was strolling through Best Buy yesterday with $50 in rewards points burning a hole in my pocket. Stumbled on a pair of Insignia (house brand) Smart Speakers, powered by Google's voice platform. Both have clock display on front, so I'm instantly thinking nightstand and/or bathroom. Listening test quickly eliminated the smaller ($49) one, tinny sounding. The larger one, just $69, sounded surprisingly rich, without the boominess so typical of small, ported speakers. Plus, it had Chromecast and Bluetooth support, and a battery rated for 5 hours. Patio, back yard, wherever, even without WiFi as a (somewhat large) portable BT speaker. Handle built into back makes it very easy to carry.

So, about $21 after taxes for a decent sounding, very versatile portable voice controlled speaker? No brainer. Listening on battery power at the moment, but it will live on my nightstand, replacing a Squeezebox Radio.

View attachment 1069910 View attachment 1069911

I'm tempted. I already have a Tap that I carry around the house, but...this looks good.

Meanwhile tonight, something different...

PlayerFM.JPG

Even if you're not a podcast regular, go look up today's episode of the NYT's "The Daily." It's a 20 minute montage of sounds from the news of 2017 - this is deeply moving. We have traveled far in just a year.

s.

Chasing Trane.jpeg

On the Sonos Play:1s, soundtrack to "Chasing Trane," daughter home for the holidays, hanging out, talking punk and hardcore music. As far as I'm concerned, a fine Christmas.

s.

Back
Top Bottom