Favorite STAR TREK Character(s) and Who Should Be Airlocked?

soundmotor

super modified
ST:TOS, ST:TNG, ST: DS9, ST:Voyager, ST:Enterprise, doesn't matter, what characters do you enjoy and who should be explosively depressurized? Surprised to find two of my favorites on Voyager; the Doctor & 7 of 9. I've definitely settled on the comedic element and they both get more than their share of comedy gold lines.. Voyager also has the most annoying ensemble of supporting characters, only Janeway & Tuvok would escape the airlock but the rest?

Kes: Gone
Neelix: Gone
Harry: Gone
Parris: Gone
Bellana: Hmmm; nope, gone
Chokotay: Slowly open airlock and gone!

20b3b7749300ed8da7f6ddcdc1349439.jpg

Can't put a finger on why, but I just never liked Tasha Yar (ST:TNG). Neither did Denise Crosby, for that matter.

I like all the ST:TOS folks. Other fave chars? If I were stuck on a shuttle with just Picard, Troi and Data, I'd be cool with that. Later series... meh. (To the OP: yes to all those choices!)

I look back on Wesley Crusher differently now that Wil Wheaton has turned out to be such a normal Joe; he had a hot mom in the series so for the most part I gave that character a pass.

Last edited:
While I wouldn't toss anyone out the airlock I would have handed out pink slips for many over the years.
A few keepers, first Enterprise crew: that cute as hell (for a Vulcan ) T'Pal, that episode when she was in command was flat out awesome! Archer was also a keeper, Trip I got tired of but would have fired the writers in his case. .

On Voyager, Neelix and Kes I could have done without. Torres also grated as did Janeways voice but not enough to cut them. Problem with at least the first few voyager seasons was all the trek mo babble that went on. TMI about the inner workings of the ship. Also that damn holideck was far too much trouble and Janeway should have shut it down permanently, or tossed it all into space. Also it generally made for boring shows, like filler for when the writers had zilch to write about. Of course 7 was interesting in oh so many ways and probably saved the show from Kes.

DS9 I haven't watched in a long time so can't remember much, but I always liked that Cardassian tailor, and a few others, but as I remember this was probably my least favorite star trek series.

TNG, what to say, Riker, Crusher (both), Tasha, all would be gone. Picard, and whopie were good together. Troy was nice to look at, but not sure if a main character should have been the ships counselor. Warf was fine, he would stay if only as a bridge to better help us understand the Klingon culture. .

(Flame suit on.) DS9--the whole show could go out the airlock and I wouldn't miss it. I have tried multiple times and just can not get into it. Ferengi--how about we put all of 'em into an airlock, and charge them for the privilege? :D

Never cared for TOS either, but wouldn't exactly send it on a one-way transporter trip either. It had its moments, but it never grew on me. The movies, though? I like those a lot better. Like many, I find even-numbered films to be better than the odd, and count them among my favorites of any film series. It could just be the characters are better defined, and the improved special effects make it more believable than the "men playing spaceship" vibe I get with TOS.

Voyager--the only one I would dump out the airlock is Kes. After seeing Seven of Nine for a few seasons, you feel that there is something really creepy about Kes. IMHO she was OK in the pilot episode, but that creepy mind control stuff was just plain weird. Neelix grows on me towards the end of the series (his final appearance on Homestead is touching), but the earlier episodes, I felt as though he was more like a grating outsider. B'Elanna Torres...hey, what can I say? I like her, she's sassy. Kind of a "woman with power tools" thing happening there (just substitute "warp core" for "power tools"). :D Janeway I run hot and cold on...sometimes I can't stand her in one episode, yet in the next I'm liking her again. I mostly like Chakotay in his parts, but any time I hear pan pipes, I know it's going to be one of those "Chakotay episodes" and I sometimes have to take a pass. Seska was very annoying, yet she was written out of the series a few times, so I'll save the airlock. Seven may be my favorite of the series...and not for the body suit (although that is still a positive aspect ;) ). Tuvok is also likable, another favorite of mine. I find that his deadpan delivery of light humor helped break the Vulcan ice a bit. (We got a hint in the pilot episode when he first meets Neelix...."Perhaps you would like a bath." :D )

Enterprise--mixed feelings here. T'Pau as a character wasn't a bad idea (a Vulcan "advisor" masquerading as a science officer), but that had to be some of the most wooden, awkward acting I have ever seen in my life. (Yet in interviews, I like Jolene Blalock...I just don't feel she was a good fit for the part.) That whiney Malcolm...out the airlock, with a bit of photon torpedo behind him to give him enough of a boost to send him straight to the Gamma quadrant. He was especially dickish with that military commander who came on board Enterprise to fight the Xindi. My favorite character from Enterprise? Shran! (Jeffrey Combs.) We were continually thinking he was turning against the Enterprise, but by the end of an episode you would discover he was really on our side all along. Porthos would be a runner-up. ;)

TNG--yeah, Wesley could be a bit grating. Maybe not the airlock, but how about somehow "losing" him in a holodeck simulation? As for Doc Crusher...I'd take her any day over Troi, since I have this weakness for redheads. ;) Never cared for Guinan the first few times I ran through the series, but in recent years I finally got the vibe she was after--sort of a "wise old lady" type of role, if that makes sense. Her work in Yesterday's Enterprise nails her character quite well. Data was purposely one dimensional, and IMHO maybe he played the role a little too well since the robotic performance kind of turned me off. Funny how Q was always annoying, yet he is one of my favorite recurring characters.

Boy, I'm gonna get flamed for sure, but I absolutely hated TNG. So, airlock the whole bunch of 'em!!!

TOS: Gotta keep Kirk because, well, no one overacts better than The Shat. Spock was always right. And Yeoman Janice can tidy my quarters any time. The rest: out the hatch.
TNG: Data makes the cut, along with Q. Vacuum the rest: Picard was poorly cast - a Frenchman with a British accent? Speaking of Brit accents, why does Troi have one if she's from another planet? Riker wasn't that funny, Dr. Crusher wasn't that hot; most annoying character: Worf's son.
Enterprise: T'Pao was hot in that cat suit; Archer was believable, Hoshi deserved more screen time. What a three-way that would be!
STV: 7 of 9 by far was the most interesting character. Jettison the rest.
DSN: never watched an episode and don't intend to

For me Q, Troi, Whoopie's character, and that one female captain (never could get into that series enough to learn names)......could happily live without

I like most everybody else, in particular Riker, Scotty, Worf, Spock, Picard, Data, O'Brien, Quark, Odo...

Love TOS but Chekhov sucked. Never got into TNG, Voyager, or DS9. Tried to like Enterprise but two things really bothered me: the theme song and everything about Tripp, including his stupid name. If I had my way he’d be put into a decompression chamber like the one from the TOS episode ‘Space Seed’

Back
Top Bottom