CD player for heavy metal.

Looking for CD-player for heavy metal and something close.
Up to $400
Share your thoughts, please
Ask me,,,I say dont waste your money...
If the SPL are high enough pretty much all of 'em are likley going to skip.
Lose the CDP entirely and convert to digital lossless files & put them on a SSD or memory card(s).
Certainly no CDP $400 or < is gonna cut it.

Anyhow you did'nt state what the rest of the system is capable of,but should it be serious enough,you'll always be fighting this uphill battle.

I have a metalhead friend that's in this very same boat and he's resisting doing just that,and I simply cant understand it.
I guess he just does'nt believe that the lossless files are everything his CD's are... :rolleyes:
But the Bryston 7bst monoblocks feeding C-V CLS-215 speakers are skip city and his CDP was orignally a 1k$+ unit (Anthem CD-1).

All he needs to do is invest in a PC based music server and a nice DAC and all that nonsense will be a thing of the past...
Even just a basic Rpi3 + external SSD + Modi MB would = no more skips EVER.

It's the old adage: You can lead a horse to water...

Spend wisely -or- spend foolishly,the choice is yours.

FWIW

Bret P.

I totally understand the resistance to going away from CDs, The PC solutions are a ****-load of busywork and for those of us who don't like busywork it's pain in the ass. I had a very nice and helpful guy on here (I think) help me set up a headless music server using an old laptop I had sitting around and after downloading all the programs and spending hours trying to figure them out and get everything working, I started ripping the CD collection.

After a few hours of that and the whole cataloging thing I looked at the 1500 or so CD collection and just put my CD player back in.

Maybe these days there is a one-box solution that will use software to streamline the process of transferring a big CD collection to a hard drive and simultaneously catalog the covers CD info, but back then that unix level amount of tinkering wore my patience down.

You just ruined my perfect world I've been living. )))
What is you version of "a nice DAC"?
That is a whole other can-O-worms,,,LOL...

There really is no simple answer,and it largely depends on what sorta material you'll be listening to.
If it's strictly CD quality material (redbook = 16/44.1) then there are lots of older/used "high end" r2r multi-bit DACs that I'd look into.
But should you wanna explore high resolution material (24/96 & >),then you're going to need a newer DAC.

For a nice starter DAC,I'd probably throw out a recommendation for something like the Schiit Modi MB as a decent choice.
That way as you learn more about all this and maybe wanna move to something else you'll easily be able to recoup some funds selling that unit.
FWIW DACs are probably one of this hobby's deepest "rabbit holes"...

Me,I'm strictly a redbook guy,and I own 2 Parasound D/AC-1000 for my better systems,and a Schiit Optimodi for general use.
And I also have a couple of Fiio D3's around here for more pedestrian useage.

But DACs can run from $20 up into the thousands of $$$$,so it is pretty wide open.

Lots of good reading in the DAC forum here @ AK if you wanna spend some time studying.

I totally understand the resistance to going away from CDs, The PC solutions are a ****-load of busywork and for those of us who don't like busywork it's pain in the ass. I had a very nice and helpful guy on here (I think) help me set up a headless music server using an old laptop I had sitting around and after downloading all the programs and spending hours trying to figure them out and get everything working, I started ripping the CD collection.

After a few hours of that and the whole cataloging thing I looked at the 1500 or so CD collection and just put my CD player back in.

Maybe these days there is a one-box solution that will use software to streamline the process of transferring a big CD collection to a hard drive and simultaneously catalog the covers CD info, but back then that unix level amount of tinkering wore my patience down.
Ha ha,yep sooooo true.

I did make it sound a bit less tedious than it can be,,,did'nt I ???

Best advice for ripping,use the fastest/cheapest external optical drive you can find.
I say that as there's a good chance you'll burn it up if you have a large CD collection.

Cataloging,that's another area that certain choices make the difference,definitely worth some study on that deal as well.

That said,once the upfront tedium is done,moving the music around has never been easier.
And it's awesome to have your whole collection waiting at your fingertips for your command.
Set the player to shuffle and it's like listening to a radio station that only plays music you like.

I think the main attraction for some who stay with using a CDP is a lot like the attraction to playing vinyl.
Picking out the nights CD's,load one,listen to that one,change discs,repeat,that sorta thing,kinda a Zen sorta deal.

I just know how it's driving my friend nuts with the skipping,and his CD collection really is'nt that big so he'd have a pretty easy go of it.

Anyhow if I were recommending CD players that are resistant to skipping,I'd say look into the old Philips machines that used their CDM transports.
Those are about the most skip resistant (and longest living) transports I've come across.

HTH

Bret P.

My very first player back in 1991 even though $1000 had issues with "skipping?" but not a single player I've owned since, whether cheap or expensive has had this issue.

As for shuffle play, I recently purchased a pristine example of one of these for the huge sum of $63 on eBay, threw a new set of belts on for $12 and it's shuffle city.

x158DVPX777-f.jpeg

My very first player back in 1991 even though $1000 had issues with "skipping?" but not a single player I've owned since, whether cheap or expensive has had this issue.
View attachment 1071131

I was thinking the same thing. How did skipping come into play here?
I've listened to a lot of metal over the years, and at pretty high dBs, but I don't recall ever having skipping issues with it.
The only time I have has been in my truck systems, and even that is usually related to climate issues, or really bumpy roads.

I don't know, some of those older cheap steel finger nails across a chalkboard players made for some ear bleeding with Van Halen's first album especially Eruption back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom