Can't get Chromecast Audio to connect to wifi

Erik Tracy

Everyone's happy when the wizard walks by
Just got a Chromecast audio for xmas.

Got it connected for power and audio - got the test tone to play via the setup using the laptop setup at chromecast.com/setup

But, it fails when I try to connect to my in-house wifi.

All my other laptops and computers can connect.

??

Any ideas or tricks or tips?

TIA

Hmm, when I try to restart the online setup, the app on my laptop searches for cast devices, but only finds my neighbor's device and not mine.

Arg.

Took 2 more tries that included a power disconnect/reconnect, but I got my CCA to wifi connect, and now I'm stuck on the screen where it says that I'm online but CCA is updating.

The message says this may take 5 to 10 minutes, but I'm at the 20 minute mark and still got the 'spinning circle of wait'.

There are probably gazillions of just-unwrapped CCAs trying to update themselves today.

I bailed out of the update - there's supposed to be an update status display, but I never got that, just the spinning circle and saying updating should take 5 to 10 minutes.

Read on Chrome support to do a FDR (factory data reset) - did that, started over, got all the way to connecting to my wifi, then it went to a screen with a "?".

So, not even getting to the update screen anymore.

Bleh. I'm out. It goes back.

It might be systemic. My CCA stopped working with Spotify about an hour an a half ago.

Ok, so....

Another attempt to do a FDR, then the app couldn't see my device again, only my neighbor's.

Power reset the CCA, app saw and connected - still couldn't connect to wifi.

Reset the router and the cable modem, but CCA app still couldn't connect to wifi.

Tried yet another FDR - figured out after the FDR I still had to do a power reset for the CCA app to even 'see' my device.

Finally got it to connect to wifi, and mysteriously the app reported that my CCA was ready to use (with no update)

???

Total time - about 4 hours.

Which, to be honest, is about right for me as I seem to be computer cursed: NOTHING downloads, installs, or configures as described for me. It's always a fight.

Erik: Congrats on getting your Chromecast Audio working.

In terms of difficulty getting it installed, it's not just you. I have 4 CA. Some installed with no problems. For others, I went around and around trying to get it installed. Then ... suddenly ... it worked ... for no apparent reason. And, every once in a while I'll have to reboot one.

Nonetheless, IMO its a pretty amazing gizmo for the price.

Erik: Congrats on getting your Chromecast Audio working.

In terms of difficulty getting it installed, it's not just you. I have 4 CA. Some installed with no problems. For others, I went around and around trying to get it installed. Then ... suddenly ... it worked ... for no apparent reason. And, every once in a while I'll have to reboot one.

Nonetheless, IMO its a pretty amazing gizmo for the price.
Well, it was v. rewarding to be able to cast my favorite internet radio station w/o the hassle of moving/connecting my laptop or smartphone to my HT setup. And it sounds pretty darn good even with the CCA analog connection.

I've yet to see if this will 'stick' and be easy to use. But for now, I'm now in a happy place.

Back
Top Bottom