CD player for heavy metal.

The basic premise of this thread is silly. There are no CD players that work better on heavy metal or any specific type of music. CD players are non-discriminatory.

Yep, I have a few and they all play Metal competently. I thought this thread was a just a joke. None I have skip at high SPL's either. I mostly play Metal

There are still many of us who continue to enjoy the physical CD format and resist the ever deepening digital music file rabbit hole. I have a streamer and mainly use it to review music and help me decide on what CD's to buy. As vinyl has proven, old music formats take a long time to completely die and some of us still like to get off our arses to change a CD or flip and cue a record. As it's always been in audio, there's nothing wrong with having more than one source format in your system. There are still a lot of excellent CD players available and pc based digital files are not the end-all in high fidelity.

The basic premise of this thread is silly. There are no CD players that work better on heavy metal or any specific type of music. CD players are non-discriminatory.

Can't agree with that statement. I had a Musical Fidelity A5 that was all about punch and balls as compared to a Cambridge 840c that was all about articulate midrange.

Each CDP I have owned has had a different sound signature.

If I was looking for a DAC for heavy metal I would be looking at an Rega as it was know for its lower end and what is Heavy Metal if it is not the lower end?

I like the DAC in my affordable TEAC CD-P650 for metal listening, plus it has a handy USB port on the front for all the metal I have in my phone.

METAL!

Any dvd/cd player will do the job just fine. Skipping through playing metal?

Never in my life experienced it (unless the skipping was through jumping around headbanging on timber floors).

Use this ....
index.php

To play this Heavy Metal
index.php

90" in LED or a vintage 5" B&W TV?
Cute. Case in point, I used to use Jennifer Warnes to tune high powered car audio systems that would be playing hard core gangster rap. The vehicle owners were like - WTF at first. I explained to them, if I can get the system to sound good on her stuff, and I will, it's gonna' kick ass on Dr. Dre. When they heard the results, they were just floored but couldn't make the connection. After about 6mos, they all came in asking - man, you gotta' tune my system with that lady!

Guys, either a CDP serves the media justice or it doesn't. It can't discriminate based on genre. That's just silly.

These are my Cerwin Vega's View attachment 1074870

This is My first CD player ..the Skipper or my buddy Skippy!
View attachment 1074863
This is my first CD player I purchased in August of 1986 the Kenwood dp850 I still have it..........it skips and always has since day one when driving my Cerwin Vega's at high volume...... but All my Blu-ray player's Don't skip
I bet Turbo Lover on that shit is crazy.

I don't understand the apparent confusion on what the OP is asking for. All CD players have onboard DAC's and it's pretty much accepted that DAC's can have sonic signatures that do better with certain types of music. The OP asked for suggestions on CD players that help reproduce heavy metal music well. It's a pretty simple request. Unfortunately, I can't make a suggestion because I never listen to heavy metal.

I don't understand the apparent confusion on what the OP is asking for. All CD players have onboard DAC's and it's pretty much accepted that DAC's can have sonic signatures that do better with certain types of music. The OP asked for suggestions on CD players that help reproduce heavy metal music well. It's a pretty simple request. Unfortunately, I can't make a suggestion because I never listen to heavy metal.

Last edited:
I had a Sony X111ES (bought new) that tended to skip with the subs turned on. So I got rid of it and got a Yamaha CDX-1010U which is quite heavy.
No more skips. Guess I could have wall mounted the Sony.

I doubt very much that vibration is the cause for any CD skipping problems. They've been putting CD players in vehicles for years, for crying out loud. Most skipping CD players are caused by dirty CDs. The solution is to clean the CD, usually with a CD wipe, although a solution of mild soap and water does the same job. The CD should be dried with a lint-free cloth, and all rubbing should be done from the center of the CD out, not around. There are several other main causes of a skipping CD player, too.
  • Dirty drive - in addition to dirty CDs, dirty CD drives can also cause skipping. This can be caused by dust or dirt.
  • Bad copies - if the CD is a copy, the skipping could be caused by errors on the disc.
  • Scratches - a scratched CD can also skip. It is possible to buy repair kits for scratched CDs but it is also possible to use everyday household items. This includes furniture polish and toothpaste. The substance should be rubbed on to the CD and then removed.
  • Damaged drive - the final cause of a skipping CD is a damaged drive. The most common solution in this situation is to replace the drive or buy a new player.
Most of the posters complaining about skipping problems are talking about machines that are pretty old. These components have moving parts that eventually fail. If you are convinced that vibration is the culprit, I'd suggest throwing your CD player away and getting a new one. Today's modern CD players have updated transport mechanism designs that are isolated from vibration.

I NEVER had any trouble playing metal in any of my CD players. I have a friend that only listens to heavy death metal LOUD and he never has any trouble either. Oh By the way he only buys CD players from goodwill and never pays more then like 40 bucks for one.
I never heard of such a thing. My advise is to a turn table and Vinyl. INHO streaming sucks. I want the actual disc in my hands either CD or vinyl. Just my .02.

You opening statement sounds like you haven't hooked anything up yet to find out?
Now we are talking about DAC and what one gives you a good sound for metal and forgot the skipping part?:whip:

Try looking inside the player, if you getting skips from sonic low end hits something sounds off.
Turn the stuff down to normal human level and tap on your player while the CD is playing if it starts hiccuping skipping then you know your player needs help.
I had players that skipped tapping on them (old PITA Nakamichi) forgot what i did to get them to stop if i could or strip them for parts and toss it. Cleaned the lens and rails checked the belt and the pad that holds the disc in place.
The last one was the Lexmark it was skipping without tapping but was worse when i did. I did all the above but also put a small drop of lube into the motor shaft that turns the disc, that fixed that and two weeks now all good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom