Tube "Warmth" -- Literally

Dave B.

I have my music room thermostat set at 67 degrees. When I entered at 6 a.m. this morning, the temperature on the thermostat was 61. Outside, the temp was 5 above zero. Nice.

Our furnace has been running constantly and apparently couldn't keep up with my demands, at least in this room. So, what's a music lover to do? Ha. That's easy.

I closed both of the room's doors and turned on my Mac C22, MC275 VI, and MC2000. Two hours later (still 5 degrees outside), my music room is a very nice 66 degrees. Lotsa tubes = lotsa warmth when you need it.

Dave

I know what you mean. The present temp here is -24C,which is -11F. And if you factor in the wind chill,thats -40F.Furnace isn't working overtime yet (we build em big up here!) but she's certainly earning her keep.They don't call us the great white north for nothing!

I gotta say,I do have more frequent and longer listening sessions in this weather,and being all-tube certainly provides some heating advantages.Useful in spring and fall too.
That glow seems even cozier when you're hunkered down under a quilt,with no intention of going anywhere except the fridge!

Geez,does this make me an environmentalist? Well,maybe in the cooler months.Electric goes up,oil goes down:)

I'll be running my ''secondary'' heating system today; Audio Research VS110 & SP3A-1,Fisher R200 tuner.

My listening loft was 67F when I turned on the PAS and Maggie yesterday, when I shut it off approx. 5 hrs. later 79F. Outside temp was basically the same the whole time.

Edit: my loft is in a tiny house and was designed for a queen mattress and a few cabinets of some type so not very many cubic feet to heat.

Last edited:
I like to refer to my integrated tube amp as my musical space heater. It certainly feels like it heats the room up, though I have yet to notice a difference with the analog thermometer I bought to verify.

I love my VTA but I can only use it during the months of late December through early March. Here is Arizona, even with a GOOD AC, the temps start hitting 100 plus. It heats up the room VERY quickly.

But not to worry. That's when I switch to my smaller Sherwood S-5000 or use my Marantz 250M SS amp. A change always keeps thing lively I always say.

66.2 F here in the basement (-21 C/-5.8 F outside...:confused:) and having a listening session with a Sherwood S7700 III warming a bit... (hint, hint Mr Arts, waiting for you...).​

You Canadians really put things in perspective. Manchester is -2C tonight, but rising to 10C by Saturday. Sunbathing weather by your standards. I'm generating more heat by going back and forth trying to trace a dry joint or faulty pot in my SCA-35 right now.

It's crazy cold. I can't even find my nuts.

Hey,according to the googleweb, you guys are at a balmy +8F:dunno:

We're at a slightly sub-tropical -6F; try taking a puck off the leg at that temperature.And you'd better not go down either,cause the tears will freeze you to the frickin ice:rflmao:

Son of a bi**h!! argh!! owwie-owwie-owwie........(yeah yeah,skate it off ya big puss...)

Glad we only had a few weeks of that in the part of Ohio I grew up in! But I feel you, I was always the first one out in it!

This may sound like I'm "protesting too much" but when I hear you guys mentioning 67 interior temps I have serious envy. I have 6 tons (3 2-ton units) of central a/c just to keep the place at 75. Today when I was driving around it was 87. Endless summer is sometimes like endless kobi beef and wine. Eventually you'll kill for a glass of water.

Hey,according to the googleweb, you guys are at a balmy +8F:dunno:

We're at a slightly sub-tropical -6F; try taking a puck off the leg at that temperature.And you'd better not go down either,cause the tears will freeze you to the frickin ice:rflmao:

Son of a bi**h!! argh!! owwie-owwie-owwie........(yeah yeah,skate it off ya big puss...)

This may sound like I'm "protesting too much" but when I hear you guys mentioning 67 interior temps I have serious envy. I have 6 tons (3 2-ton units) of central a/c just to keep the place at 75. Today when I was driving around it was 87. Endless summer is sometimes like endless kobi beef and wine. Eventually you'll kill for a glass of water.

One of the reasons I got out of the south as fast as I could while in the Navy. Need my cold!!

Arts? First off my candy ass wouldn't play hockey even indoors....My basement shop is 50 degrees so I store my beer there...Thank God for your Canadian Tim Horton's coffee shops in my area. 1 large coffee and I'm good for a 6hr soldering session. Art's can you become a Hammond dealer and cut us a break on outputs? How far away is the factory? I get Tim Horton's gift cards every xmas! Love it! OH, They pay $11 hr to anyone that will show up to shovel out the stadium. Game this Sunday in 5 degree weather. Come On Down?

Big +1 on the Hortons,but if you drink too many you get twitchier than Lafleur on a breakaway:)

Believe it or not,the Hammonds sell for less in the US than they do in Canada,even after the exchange.Don't ask me how that happened:mad:

It was 0F when I got up this morning. Shelter dogs need walks and play time. I'll freeze for them anytime. Best wishes they find good homes soon...:)

The tube amps are all in the basement. Tri-amped. The HF stuff is PP 6Pi21S on a single chassis. 150W out of that one max, including the 6AU4 heaters doing rectifier duty. The Bass is a pair of W6m running Type ii KT90 at 45W per tube...plus the front end. The big guys run the midrange, 4E27 take 37.5W just to run the cathodes, and the plates sit at 65W each...but they are dealing with about 1,000 sq ft maybe more area to warm up.
cheers,
Douglas

Back
Top Bottom