Apple Buys Shazam

As a preemptive move I'm switching to SoundHound as my primary sound ID app. Hadn't used it regularly for a good while so I updated it and WoW...it blows the doors off Shazam. Way more speedy and precise. Thanks Apple...;)

I don't think that this is the main reason Apple is buying them. It is more about the underlying tech.
Interestingly, Apple was already licensing Shazam's tech backbone for Siri's song ID feature; along with paying Shazam for referral/enticement plays on Apple Music. So... at least superficially, Apple will no longer pay scaled 3rd party AI rent anymore. ;)

Apple's much touted "hand curated" playlists aside, there is mucho to be said for "Johnnie on the spot" algorithmic playlist creation for a streaming service. IOW, instead of relying primarily on 3rd party charts and uber hip DJs to determine which up and comers are trending...real-time crowd-sourced intel is a goldmine for customizing your front-end and curating more appealing & rifled playlists to end users.

Streaming service playlists are fast displacing traditional radio sources for consumer consumption and discovery of breaking talent. It's a very weird dynamic that's unfolding. S'like a snake eating it's own tail yet seemingly growing larger all the while. o_O

Also, it ain't all about music. Another less evident Shazam feature set is image and video recognition. Will be interesting to see how Apple folds that piece into their TV product.

Oh yeah, one more main reason Apple bought Shazam...they hold over 200 patents.
:deal::whip::rflmao:

Interestingly, Apple was already licensing Shazam's tech backbone for Siri's song ID feature; along with paying Shazam for referral/enticement plays on Apple Music. So... at least superficially, Apple will no longer pay scaled 3rd party AI rent anymore. ;)

Apple's much touted "hand curated" playlists aside, there is mucho to be said for "Johnnie on the spot" algorithmic playlist creation for a streaming service. IOW, instead of relying primarily on 3rd party charts and uber hip DJs to determine which up and comers are trending...real-time crowd-sourced intel is a goldmine for customizing your front-end and curating more appealing & rifled playlists to end users.

Streaming service playlists are fast displacing traditional radio sources for consumer consumption and discovery of breaking talent. It's a very weird dynamic that's unfolding. S'like a snake eating it's own tail yet seemingly growing larger all the while. o_O

Also, it ain't all about music. Another less evident Shazam feature set is image and video recognition. Will be interesting to see how Apple folds that piece into their TV product.

Oh yeah, one more main reason Apple bought Shazam...they hold over 200 patents.
:deal::whip::rflmao:

For many reasons it is a nice fit for Apple.

Must be a cell phone type of thing. If I want to know what song I am listening too ... I just type the lyrics (about a sentence will do) in a search engine. Shazam! ... I have the answer. Saved Apple 400 million.

Let me Google it for you ... "there's a better life for me and you"

I don't get it? ...Solution looking for a problem?
I like your confidence, but I think you think too quickly. You think you can catch the lyrics (even just one verse) of every single song in the world? What if it is in a foreign language that you absolutely have no idea? Or if the song is purely instrumental be it pop, jazz, or classical? The strength of apps like Shazam and SoundHound is the it can identify the name of any audio recording, even if it is just very short (I guess it must be no less than 10 seconds-correct me if wrong), with or without human voice, as long as it is indexed in its database, then it can tell the name, the artist, album, and whatever info it has in its database. I have used it to identify many lovely tunes of jazz, classical, film score, and Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French and Spanish songs in the past two years through Shazam. You may not what you have missed.

I've switched over to soundhound awhile ago. What really got me was I hummed something into soundhound and it somehow managed to find it. I was shocked the first time. Since then I've realized accuracy from humming is hit or miss. But that first impression stuck.
If this is true, I must try SoundHound out.......

Back
Top Bottom