Things that can't be un-heard

The hiss of the master tapes when they switch on the amps for the cutting head. I can hear it on quite a number of LP's. You can hear it right after the needle drops in the lead groove and just before the music starts.

This^^ and then you listen for it in quiet passages.

And then as onepixel is saying, with some of Sarah Mclaughlin songs you hear her lips sticking and like she's nibbling on your ear<not necessarily a bad thing> :oops:

With this song you can hear she has trouble with her (T)s, ta ta ta, at the 3 minute mark, sticky lips and tongue. Again not that I don't like her tongue, I like her tongue a lot, I mean a lot !!! :D

Last edited:
Grand Funk Railroad, "I'm Your Captain" Engineer to Mark? "This is a Take", and in the same song, I hear a voice over an open mike, but can't understand what he said.
Most of Frank Zappa's vocals you can hear his saliva. ELP's "Pictures at an Exhibition" in the beginning of the "Old Grey Castle" Keith hits some low notes on his Moog that sound as if my woofers are rattling or buzzing. First time I heard it I ran for the volume.

Keith Jarrett. As much as I appreciate and enjoy his playing, his recordings always have him "humming" along with his tunes. It's a type of whiny humming that becomes unbearable after awhile. His "At the Deer Head Inn" recording is a prime example. Fantastic recording and performance by the whole group, but I can't get past that humming!

I definitely dislike the humming as well. The first time I heard one of his recordings I kept wondering when my house got haunted by an atonal ghost.
A lot of players seem to hum when they really get into it but if you watch his live stuff on YouTube you can see a voice mic making it a lot more noticeable.

The hiss of the master tapes when they switch on the amps for the cutting head. I can hear it on quite a number of LP's. You can hear it right after the needle drops in the lead groove and just before the music starts.

So THAT'S where the noise comes from!

Rush - Moving Pictures

9 minutes into The Camera Eye, there is some sort of vocalization. Can't quite make it out but it seems like a belch, followed by "Record that".

Back in the good old days of LP's you could some times hear 4 pre-echo and post echo. Pre-echo was energy being transferred from a later groove to a previous groove. and post echo could be the reverse or print through from one layer of audio tape to another. That seemed to all go away when back coated tapes came along. My first trials were with Scotch 203, I think. Another issue were the famous Cannons on Telarcs LP of the 1812 overture. Some how I let the LP get away from me but t the time only the later V-15's and the 881 could track it successfully. Some recordings from Mercury, Command, and Verve really challenged my cartridges I thought. It was't until recently when I got a new pre-preamp that the problem was't the cartridge.

Israel Kamakawiwo’ole can be heard taking deep breaths on most of his tracks. Not his fault, just a big man. I never really noticed it until playing his songs on a good system.

Last edited:
How about some voice only commercials where all natural breathing artifacts are edited out resulting in un -natural cadence to the speech.

So THAT'S where the noise comes from!

Umm, maybe not. Pretty sure those amps stay on all the time during the cutting session.
The increase in hiss right before the music (and between cuts) is more likely the result of (paper or plastic) leader tape transitioning to tape, and back again.
Back when men were men and records were somehow cut without computers, the leader tape was the cue for the mastering engineer to spread out the groove pitch to create the band between songs. And also to create the lead-in and lead-out grooves. At least it was in our studio and cutting room.

Chip

She's not that hot to fantasize about that. ;)
Thats a MOO. (Matter of Opinion)
There is an extremely annoying click, or grit, or something in Nugent's Stranglehold that did not exist in my original vinyl copy back in high school.
I just heard something on a Vince Gill cut, 'Cowboy Up" I'd never heard until I got a new DAC for Christmas. I expect sloppy playing from Simmons and Ace, but never expected to hear Vince literally never lift his fingers off the strings as he moves up and down the fretboard. Thought he was more a technical player.

Back
Top Bottom