Tube "Warmth" -- Literally

I'm in Chateauguay,Quebec,just on the outskirts of Montreal. I was stationed in Edmonton many years ago.

I'm sitting here sipping a Timmy's double-double watching the World Junior Hockey Championship. Canada vs USA. I've been outside all day and boy,this is nice:)

We don't get snow here like you guys do in the east.. I had a business trip to Laval about 10 years ago, and I couldn't believe how the snow was piled so high, you couldn't see the front of houses from the street! Let's hope Canada wins the game! Beating the USA (in hockey) isn't quite as satisfying as beating Russia, but it's close enough!

Don't kid yourself. 120 degrees in the shade is 132 degrees in the sun - that's deadly. We loose a LOT of people each year just from the heat. At those temps, if you are active you can not drink enough water to keep up with what you are sweating out. Even in a pool you can become dehydrated and die - believe it or not.

Little something they don't tell you in the vacation ads is how many tourists die of dehydration, get lost in the desert, fall off a cliff or their garman sends them down some back road. Actual death!!!!

I'm aware of the De-Hydration Factor. Still and all, with the blood thinners I'm on, a warmer climate in the Winter would be nice. I was in Alberquerque(sp?) a year ago for a month visiting family, and had no problems acclimating to the 110* heat.

Anything below 72*F and I start feeling COLD. The wood stove is running on medium right now. After 3 days now it's got the house at a comfortable 78*F and the furnace is just running the fan to circulate the heat in the Dining room. (it's 95*F in there). I may move to Az or NM. It's dry there too so 120 there feels like 85-90 here in Baltimore with the extreme humidity.

I'll trade you. You'll have 90+ F most of the year and you can make believe the rest of the year doesn't exist and tease your northern friends in January when it's finally 75 and 50% humidity. For a week. Then it goes back to living in a hot humid hell. Moved to the bayside to get some relief. I was wrong. Now it's hot, humid and the salt air destroys what the heat and humidity leave behind.

At least we get half naked people who worked out all year just to come here and be half (or completely) naked. I tend to stop my bitching when I see that.

I'm aware of the De-Hydration Factor. Still and all, with the blood thinners I'm on, a warmer climate in the Winter would be nice. I was in Alberquerque(sp?) a year ago for a month visiting family, and had no problems acclimating to the 110* heat.
I'm not going to lie, I LOVE THE HEAT!!!!! I often go out and do yard work when it's 109 out. Yeah baby! No body out there but me and the rattlesnakes (I'm not kidding). As for hiking after it hits around 104 it becomes too dangerous. If you like the heat I would look into some nice areas in New Mexico. Arizona is quickly becoming over crowded (people fleeing California) and very expensive to live.

Well folks I had to smile at a few of these replies, reflecting on my HVAC`s thermostat set on cool @75`F and the outside temperature hovering @ 42` F, while watching a BR DVD with my B-I-L last night and with (4) mono`d Mac MC 275 VI`s, (1) MC 60, (2) MC 1201`s, (2) Crown D-150`s rears & sides, ect. cooking away + the Sony 4K projector all contributing their heat load !!

My HVAC was cycling frequently enough to maintain "comfort" !!
IMG_0320.JPG
During the summer here in NE . FL. when running the main living room HT system every weekend, I wince, and seriously consider stock options with my Electric cooperative !! Close to average 30 amps @ 120/240 volts consumption when in the HT mode !!!! :yikes:

Some of you folks have it easy, in some respects, especially when, in my case, my B-I-L is on vacation for a week or more during the lovely hot summer months here, and with him walking over from next door wanting to watch a movie on the "Big Screen" every night for a week, or sometimes two weeks in a row !! :eek:+:eek:

Yea !!! My electric bill reflects it, but he`s a good reliable best friend/in law.. :thumbsup:
At least he buy`s and brings over his own JD # 7 booze, but he does like me providing the microwave popcorn..

Yes !! I concur, tube amps/equipment(sonic space heaters) can help warm~heat up a room !!

Well folks I had to smile at a few of these replies, reflecting on my HVAC`s thermostat set on cool @75`F and the outside temperature hovering @ 42` F, while watching a BR DVD with my B-I-L last night and with (4) mono`d Mac MC 275 VI`s, (1) MC 60, (2) MC 1201`s, (2) Crown D-150`s rears & sides, ect. cooking away + the Sony 4K projector all contributing their heat load !!

My HVAC was cycling frequently enough to maintain "comfort" !!
View attachment 1077860
During the summer here in NE . FL. when running the main living room HT system every weekend, I wince, and seriously consider stock options with my Electric cooperative !! Close to average 30 amps @ 120/240 volts consumption when in the HT mode !!!! :yikes:

Some of you folks have it easy, in some respects, especially when, in my case, my B-I-L is on vacation for a week or more during the lovely hot summer months here, and with him walking over from next door wanting to watch a movie on the "Big Screen" every night for a week, or sometimes two weeks in a row !! :eek:+:eek:

Yea !!! My electric bill reflects it, but he`s a good reliable best friend/in law.. :thumbsup:
At least he buy`s and brings over his own JD # 7 booze, but he does like me providing the microwave popcorn..

Yes !! I concur, tube amps/equipment(sonic space heaters) can help warm~heat up a room !!

What model Sony projector are you running? I'm still running an old Runco, but have started looking around for a 4k Projector. The Epsons I demoed recently have mind blowing picture quality, especially the laser one.

What model Sony projector are you running? I'm still running an old Runco, but have started looking around for a 4k Projector. The Epsons I demoed recently have mind blowing picture quality, especially the laser one.
Well maxhifi, my Sony projector is model VPL-VW1000ES and is about 6 years old.

It was an upgrade from a 1992 installed Barco 3 CRT optional glass lens` 1000 line res. in RGB mode, "model something"..

The Sony has a very excellent BR DVD picture IMHO., and can be stunning with my OPPO ULD-203 4K player viewing quality 4K BR DVD`s, though I can`t say anything about it`s 3D performance, as I`ve never engaged it or put on it`s goggles, as I really don`t care about 3D..
Just replaced the just shy of $ 500.00 projector "Lamp" after over 3000 hrs.

Thanks for your interest Sir.

Take care and happy new year, OKB

Well maxhifi, my Sony projector is model VPL-VW1000ES and is about 6 years old.

It was an upgrade from a 1992 installed Barco 3 CRT optional glass lens` 1000 line res. in RGB mode, "model something"..

The Sony has a very excellent BR DVD picture IMHO., and can be stunning with my OPPO ULD-203 4K player viewing quality 4K BR DVD`s, though I can`t say anything about it`s 3D performance, as I`ve never engaged it or put on it`s goggles, as I really don`t care about 3D..
Just replaced the just shy of $ 500.00 projector "Lamp" after over 3000 hrs.

Thanks for your interest Sir.

Take care and happy new year, OKB

Mine is a circa 2000 Runco 3 CRT projector, first generation HDTV. It's still making a nice picture, but I've had to repair the convergence board a few times over the years, and I think sooner or later it's going to be a write off, so I'm shopping around. Hopefully I can string it along until laser projectors come down in price a bit more, the $500 lamp seems kind of steep.

You've got a beautiful setup there, happy new year to you as well!

I love my VTA but I can only use it during the months of late December through early March. Here is Arizona, even with a GOOD AC, the temps start hitting 100 plus. It heats up the room VERY quickly.

But not to worry. That's when I switch to my smaller Sherwood S-5000 or use my Marantz 250M SS amp. A change always keeps thing lively I always say.

... you just reminded me again why I need to keep my solid state amp, and to enjoy my big tube amp as much as possible during the colder months.

Mine is a circa 2000 Runco 3 CRT projector, first generation HDTV. It's still making a nice picture, but I've had to repair the convergence board a few times over the years, and I think sooner or later it's going to be a write off, so I'm shopping around. Hopefully I can string it along until laser projectors come down in price a bit more, the $500 lamp seems kind of steep.

You've got a beautiful setup there, happy new year to you as well!

Well maxhifi, Runco make/s very high quality projectors IMHO.

The price of the Sony projector lamp is excessive, but this projector is/was a 4K rated digital theater grade..
And if it says Sony, then nothing about it will ever be inexpensive..

Back in the fall of 2003 I was investigating upgrading the Barco and looked at a no fan noise LED Runco projector..

Though it was quite exceptional in performance and dead silent. ~$ 50,000.00 was just a little too steep for me, especially since I had not even owned a DVD player at that time..
Still on S- Video Laser Discs and 12` Big Dish digital programing which smoked any cable or little dish program delivery signal quality at that time at my locale by admission from my little dish neighbors and the cable company who A/B compared it to their feed into my house..
Once I Barco`d my video delivery system "the bar" was raised and any little noise spikes unnoticeable on a common 19" TV became as large as the end of a #2 pencil`s eraser on a projector screen...
Here is a pic from shortly after installation in 1992..Livingroom07-92.jpg

Hit -37 C here overnight the last 3 nights with temps before that (about 3 days) to -34 C Windy some days and no warmer than -30-31. Normal here about this time!

-37C is close to -36 F & of course when it gets to -40 they are the same!

Good Lord!! How do you insulate a house for that? What's the R factor?

2x6 walls, filled with fiberglass, and attic with lots of cellulose. All windows double pane.

Old houses had 2x4 walls with R-14, new ones I think R-20. Key is in the details, good weatherstripping, good vapor barrier, windows and doors in good condition, etc.

That and the fact that there's affordable and abundant, and extremely high quality natural gas. Looking into the furnace all I see is perfect blue flame, no flashes of other colours indicating impurities. I don't envy our ancestors, who lived in coal heated barely insulated balloon frame houses. Must have been miserable in the old days.

University studies in Canada & The US have shown fiberglass to be a poor insulator as the temp gets down to -17C or 0 F and colder as it just conducts the cold.
Superinsulation ( at least R40 walls & R60 ceilings) though invented in Canada in the late 70's is probably used more in the US than in Canada! It helps keep the cooling bills down
also. Cellulose & foam insulation in studies have been shown to be the best & the former can be used in double 2x4 walls 12" or more thick. Tripple pane windows popular also!

Natural gas isn't found in most farming areas out west or in the north either so it does cost a lot to heat!

Sure it costs more to build this way (maybe 10%) but, it saves energy costs fairly quickly, but not too many think ahead & old building stds. (like the requirement for a central furnace) add costs in many areas along with much red tape. For one you don't need an expensive heating/cooling system & there are homes built with R80 walls & R100 + roofs in areas of the US where it can get very hot & below freezing in the winter at night.

In the cold climate areas you do need heat recovery ventilation systems for best health & the units start around $700.

University studies in Canada & The US have shown fiberglass to be a poor insulator as the temp gets down to -17C or 0 F and colder as it just conducts the cold.
Superinsulation ( at least R40 walls & R60 ceilings) though invented in Canada in the late 70's is probably used more in the US than in Canada! It helps keep the cooling bills down
also. Cellulose & foam insulation in studies have been shown to be the best & the former can be used in double 2x4 walls 12" or more thick. Tripple pane windows popular also!

Natural gas isn't found in most farming areas out west or in the north either so it does cost a lot to heat!

Sure it costs more to build this way (maybe 10%) but, it saves energy costs fairly quickly, but not too many think ahead & old building stds. (like the requirement for a central furnace) add costs in many areas along with much red tape. For one you don't need an expensive heating/cooling system & there are homes built with R80 walls & R100 + roofs in areas of the US where it can get very hot & below freezing in the winter at night.

In the cold climate areas you do need heat recovery ventilation systems for best health & the units start around $700.

:thumbsup: + :beerchug:

It's been a while since we had a so long period of cold weather in Québec province, isn't it Arts? The problem here in Montréal area is that is wet and cold... and the wind adds up. I remember in my youth temperatures of -40 F but it was dry (I was living in an area north of the province, Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean then).

Also heard one of my friends living farther away in the north where they had -60 C steadily (-76 F for you my American fellows). Risk of death assured if you are lost in blizzard...

I've been outside a few times these last two weeks, once to remove a pile of snow in the driveway and once today just to get some oxygen for my brain... my face was completely frozen!

It's a real pleasure to go smoke a cigarette outside a few times a day :beatnik:

I have my music room thermostat set at 67 degrees. When I entered at 6 a.m. this morning, the temperature on the thermostat was 61. Outside, the temp was 5 above zero. Nice.

Our furnace has been running constantly and apparently couldn't keep up with my demands, at least in this room. So, what's a music lover to do? Ha. That's easy.

I closed both of the room's doors and turned on my Mac C22, MC275 VI, and MC2000. Two hours later (still 5 degrees outside), my music room is a very nice 66 degrees. Lotsa tubes = lotsa warmth when you need it.

Dave

As a tube lover it's more of a curse for me.... Many a time I've been sitting on the couch in just my boxer shorts sweating my arse off while listening to music. 40 degree Celsius temperatures and high humidity in Brisbane suck, and I avoid using the air conditioning where possible due to the high cost of electricity over here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom