NAD 3060 no output

Peter Newman

View attachment 1078008 View attachment 1078008 I have a non operational NAD 3060 - it has
  1. one VU meter illuminated upon switching on
  2. relay indicated on image clicking on approx 30 secs after powering up
  3. fuse indicated on image tests OK for continuity
  4. inspected all caps for signs of leakage, swelling etc nothing obvious
  5. no obvious burned components
  6. faint hum from transformer I would say is normal ?
I tried both main and remote speaker outlets, and aux / phono inputs using an Ipod as a sound source. I have looked on HiFi Engine for a schematic and searched elsewhere to no avail. I assume that the power supply is at least partially functional seeing as the VU light is working at lower than mains voltage (240v nominal)

I have a basic understanding of electronics but would really appreciate some suggestions on how to diagnose this problem please. It's hard when you only have a basic idea of the way the sub assemblies of the amp fit together. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated and how do you guys approach repair without a schematic or at least some kind of block diagram?

Yeah I know experience :) well hopefully that is what I may gain here after some time. Thanks for your time in reading this, Peter.

DSCN2452 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: mbz
Hi Inductor. Sorry to be clueless but what do you mean please?

Do I need to connect two sets of RCA connectors on the back panel together or something? Thanks for your time.

EDIT Gee that was too easy :) well one channel is fine but the other very faint. Where to now please :D

Pre amp out to main amp in.JPG

Last edited:
I have to ask you Inductor, how did you pick that up from my image please? :)

EDIT So as I said the volume is a lot lower on one channel than the other. However if I turn the balance control fully in the direction of the channel with low output, and turn the volume up high I do get a slightly reasonable volume but a lot lower that the good channel.

The volume pot is a dual gang so I suppose that cleaning that would be a good start along with the balance in particular and all pots and RCA connectors and see how that goes. Thoughts please?

Last edited:
Hello Peter Newman, Welcome to AK. Looked for the SM for the 3060, only found the 3080. The 3080 looks to be a uprated 3060. Check out the SM here for the 3080. http://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/Nad.php Might be real similar in layout and schematic. Could help if the layout is the same between them. Checked for the SM at 4 different sites. This is the best I could do. Will keep looking. The 3060-3080 amps look great. Also found a 3080 SM here (better pic).https://www.manualslib.com/download/1282384/Nad-3080.html

Last edited:
Hello NAD80 and thank you for the welcome. Those sites look great and I have downloaded all the pertinent information which is great. Happy New year to you and your family and all the best for 2018..

I hope that I am not becoming too tiresome but -

• so an IPod plugged into the Aux or tuner inputs plays OK aside from the channel volume differential mentioned. I cannot get any contact cleaner until tomorrow
  • IPod plugged into either phono 1 or phono 2 outputs the faintest sound
  • the turntable, Technics SL-D2 when plugged into either a Kenwood KA-92B or Sony TA-70 via the phono input has a good sound output level
  • this amp has both pre and power amps, hence my initial mistake by not having them connected as Inductor pointed out in post #2 so am I missing something regarding how to correctly connect a turntable to the phono input
  • one VU meter light is not illuminating. It is an unusual glass cylindrical shape but I am not sure if it’s an LED or not but there is possibly a series resistor there so it may be. Anyone know please?
Any help in regard to these questions, and I realise that it is New Years eve depending on your location but I am just asking for when someone may be able to offer some suggestions please.

Hey mate, New Year well and truly under way here in NZ so I can offer a few suggestions.

First up, have you given the balance and tone controls a real good blast with contact cleaner such as deoxit ?

Next - how do headphones sound ? One channel still weak ?

Then - measure your DC offset. Do this with balance centred, tone controls at neutral, volume low. Disconnect your speakers and measure the output voltage from the speaker terminals. It is usually in the order of millivolts but could be higher.

It is possible you could bad capacitors in the signal path in the amp, these would effectively 'strangle' the signal going through. They can be dried out, even if they don't bulge or leak.

Do you have any other unit with an aux input such as a boombox ? You could try patching the preamp side of the NAD to this other unit and that would help to identify if the problem in the NAD is in the preamp or power amp section.

The bulb is out on one of the meters (not LED). The vintagehifi site does have the owners manual. The TT does work. Be very careful connecting the ipod to the phono input. Also the relay contacts may be needing cleaned (piece of paper wet with contact cleaner placed between the contacts, then pulled between the contacts, to try to wipe the contacts clean). Markoneswift could be right about the caps.

Thanks Markoneswift. I'll get some contact cleaner tomorrow. Do you reckon an aerosol cleaner from say Jaycar is OK?

I only have a 3.5mm jack headphones and no adapter? So I’ll look into it when I get the contact cleaner.

I will also measure the output voltage as long as my DMM can go low enough

The potential for dried out caps is worrying because of the large number in the unit. Can they possibly be narrowed down to a specific section of that channel?

Thanks I’ll get onto that :)

The “try patching the preamp side of the NAD to this other unit and that would help to identify if the problem in the NAD is in the preamp or power amp section” is another good idea and I’ll have to see what I can come up with.

So just continue to use the IPod as the input signal but plug the pre amp output on the rear of the NAD into an Aux input of another device that has it’s own amp / speaker ? If that was good then the assumption would be that the problem is in the power amp, correct ?

NAD80 thanks, yes I will also clean and dry the relay contacts when I get the cleaner tomorrow. When you said “The TT does work” sorry I am not following you. Yes it works but the sound output is virtually zero through the phono inputs? :) Yes I was just saying that I was unsure of whether it was a bulb or some ancient LED sorry. Where might I source a bulb of that type as I have never seen them before please. Assuming that it is the bulb and not a non existent power supply to it.

Last edited:
Thanks Markoneswift. I'll get some contact cleaner tomorrow. Do you reckon an aerosol cleaner from say Jaycar is OK?

I only have a 3.5mm jack headphones and no adapter? So I’ll look into it when I get the contact cleaner. Yeah just get an adapter

I will also measure the output voltage as long as my DMM can go low enough - it should, mines only a crappy one and goes plenty low enough for such tasks.

The potential for dried out caps is worrying because of the large number in the unit. Can they possibly be narrowed down to a specific section of that channel? Yes, using a service manual schematic they can. THey will be in the signal path, both left and right, and usually are used to block DC current from entering the amplifier stages.

Thanks I’ll get onto that :)

The “try patching the preamp side of the NAD to this other unit and that would help to identify if the problem in the NAD is in the preamp or power amp section” is another good idea and I’ll have to see what I can come up with. Worth a try :)

So just continue to use the IPod as the input signal but plug the pre amp output on the rear of the NAD into an Aux input of another device that has it’s own amp / speaker ? If that was good then the assumption would be that the problem is in the power amp, correct ? Yes. You could also switch around the left / right connectors for the PRE / MAIN on the back of the NAD to see if the soft channel switches sides. If it does, it could just be a bad connector cable so use a different one.

Thanks for taking the time to help me here Markoneswift I appreciate it. I'll try all your suggestions when I get the cleaner and adapter and report back here if that's OK

I said the TT works was that you said it has good sound when connected to the kenwood and sony.

It's okay. Can't wait to hear if the cleaning helps. Have a 3140 integrated amp that needs redone.

You really want jumpers for the pre out / main in too. Using cables is OK but most amps that have those type of inputs / outputs use jumpers - basically just rca male on either end of a rigid metal U shaped piece.

You really want jumpers for the pre out / main in too. Using cables is OK but most amps that have those type of inputs / outputs use jumpers - basically just rca male on either end of a rigid metal U shaped piece.
Oh thanks, so how do I get some of the required length please ?

Back
Top Bottom