What TT's do you folks have

Pioneer PL-15D-II which I am looking at refurbing, it needs a new belt-cleaning-oiling, but there is one capacitor (I think it is a capacitor) that may need to be replaced. It is marked "474M AC125V ECQ-UD °F", should I replace it? Looking to replace the catridge and stylus also, any recommendations?

I am going way out on a limb here, but I think that important piece of information is that the rating is "AC125V". These were used commonly across the "on/off" switch to stop the "pop" when the turntable was turned on or off. Therefore it is not in the signal path while being across the "on/off" switch. Might pay to replace any way as the "pop" can be quite loud.

While I am here, I will chime in on what turntables I have. I no longer have one of these turntables, but I sure wish that I did. I lost it in a divorce.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pe...Wood-Grain-Player-Amplifier-USA-/132438123066

Here we are going back to pre-1964. This person, Bill Peacock, was friends with Paul Weathers, among others. The world of audio was so different at that time. Stereo was new and the world of the hobby of audio was small. This unit was the third iteration of his design ideas. The previous units used a walnut wood tone arm for the low resonance of the wood. This unit, with the aluminum arm, would tack at 1 gram and at a 45 degree angle.
My favorite was the Stanton 681 EEE S in this turntable. I never tracked any cartridge above 1 gram in this turntable, and there were a few different cartridges in my turntable.

The turntable in the picture is "not quite" what they looked like when they were shipped new. That is understandable due to the age.
I speak with all the pride that any son can have, as he was my father.

I have 2, a Project 6.1 (not RPM 6.1) with a Jelco tonearm and Pickering XV-15/625 cartridge. My backup is a Phillips 312 with a modified platter. I added some sound deadening tape inside the platter. .. and replaced the original mat with a heavy rubber NAD mat. It made a big difference in sound quality. The cart for that is being replaced...

Currently have a Technics SL-D2 for my bedroom,
Garrard LAB-80 MK II for the basement,

and in storage,
a Technics SL-Q200 and
Pioneer PL-112D.

I also have two BSR 200 BAX turntables that I'd like to toss out the window. Those things are nothing but trouble. I only bought them for the cartridges, anyway.

Rega Planar 3 from the eighties. Just changed the cart to a Ortofon Bronze and have been blown away by the step up in playback. Now considering changing to a different TT or carry on down the upgrade route.

What I've found with so called "better...micro line,shibata" type styli is the more pronounced treble response. Hence system matching is to be considered greatly,you don't want to be adding this if your system isn't bass heavy. Not too much of an
issue if one can remedy other ways ie speaker positioning though.Just my thoughts from experience.

What I've found with so called "better...micro line,shibata" type styli is the more pronounced treble response. Hence system matching is to be considered greatly,you don't want to be adding this if your system isn't bass heavy. Not too much of an
issue if one can remedy other ways ie speaker positioning though.Just my thoughts from experience.
Thank you!

I have only one, a Technics SL-1300. Well, actually two as I have another 1300 I bought for parts a few years back as it was just too cheap to pass up as an insurance policy. If I played a ton of vinyl, I'd probably buy a brand new TT however.

Pioneer PL-115D Turntable with a Sony Receiver and JVC speakers that somehow made it from overseas to me and a JBL 10" Sub... great System

Attachments

• 20180101_165341.jpg
    20180101_165341.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom