Silver faced CD player?

The original Philips / Magnavox CDPs were silver.

IMG_20130112_132800.jpg

Of course, the potential downside to getting a CD player that's so old it has a silver face is that there's a good chance that the laser is near the end of its life. Be careful about paying too much, because when the laser goes, it's probably dead.

I have a big, old (1991) California Audio Labs CD player with a silver face, but it's dead, and I don't see a resurrection in its future . . .

There are plenty of newer/new production CD players with silver faces.

Google "silver faced CD player" for images.

My bud just picked up one of these Raysonics. One of the most attractive cd players I've ever laid my eyes on. They also come in a black version
hfc354_raysonic_1285_cd_mainweb.jpg

I'm kind of partial to the big Shanling T-series cd players.

My downstairs rig has a Cambridge Audio D500se that is silver-faced. Of course the Arcam lines all came in silver as well.

Short answer: If you haven't seen new silver cd players, you haven't been looking.

Denon made many silver faced DVD players that can play just about any kind of audio disk. I have a silver DVD-1920.

In looking for a silver CD player, most of the new reasonably priced ones are sold in Silver in Japan. The cheapest current Easily NA available one seems to be the Cambridge, and you can work your way up the price scale from there (I.e Micromega, Esoteric, etc).

I ended up doing what Mr_Light did, and picked up a once $1,200 Denon DVD-2910 for a song. Solid deck with an excellent DAC.

The Onkyo C-7030 is available overseas in silver. A friend purchased one on Ebay. Brand new and highly rated.

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom