Should Dual Subwoofers Be Identical Models?

musichal

poet emeritus
My WAG is that this would be best, but what do you subwoofer gurus (and others) think? This is for two-channel use. Used for music and video sound, with music the first priority.

Should multiple mid-range drivers in a single tower be identical? What about the drivers used in two towers?

If you are feeding them both the same signal (mono mix of L + R) then it shouldn't matter.
If one is attached to each of L & R then how much it mattered would depend on how similar they were.
Since bass is pretty much non directional feeding them both the same mono signal might be best.

Since bass is pretty much non directional feeding them both the same mono signal might be best.

In that case, wouldn't it be best to break the low-end into separate frequencies which each sub would then handle on its own to reduce overall interference between competing same-frequency points sources?

Some speaker manufacturers go to great lengths to match drivers and many hand select crossover components.

And then they go and feed those (near) perfectly matched drivers significantly different signals (i.e. using n-1/2 way crossovers). And stereo between matched towers (or bookshelves). Does bass "image"? I'm guessing no.

Personally, I would use identical subs. But if the added sub is similar, such as size of the driver and cabinet type, and you're crossing over no higher than 80hz, I'm sure the earth will remain intact and the sun rises tomorrow morning.

Personally, I would use identical subs. But if the added sub is similar, such as size of the driver and cabinet type, and you're crossing over no higher than 80hz, I'm sure the earth will remain intact and the sun rises tomorrow morning.

Only up to 80Hz in order to minimize localization? Why would localization be a problem with duals? Wouldn't they simply (or complexly) image higher freqs? And what's the matter with imaging?

Only up to 80Hz in order to minimize localization? Why would localization be a problem with duals? Wouldn't they simply (or complexly) image higher freqs? And what's the matter with imaging?

I would assume if they were crossed high, and each had a distinct sound, it might be somewhat annoying. But then again, never tried it with non-identical subs. Although I can say with authority that two subs not only makes a difference, but also an improvement on HT systems.

If however adding a sub to a mainstream stereo system with substantial primary speakers, one sub crossed over low from the pre outs is really all that's needed.

I would assume if they were crossed high, and each had a distinct sound, it might be somewhat annoying.

That makes sense. You don't object to your fronts receiving and reproducing different signals, but that's intentional. You call it stereo imaging or soundstage or depth and directionality in HT. So non-localizable low freq can come from anywhere, by definition. Localizable freqs should, if accurately reproduced, yield the imaging the sound engineers mixed into the source material. Seems like you'd want clones for everything localizable (2-channel speakers come in pairs, after all) and don't cares for anything non-localizable.

I have an electronic crossover. It has high pass and low pass outputs. I do not run my mains full range. Currently my crossover is set to ~60Hz.

So, if sub-60Hz is non-localizable, then the concept of "channels" does not apply to such signals, and it matters not which of any or all your subs output the sound into the listening room.

Back
Top Bottom