Marantz 8b or Scott 299a

Buy both if you have the means. The Scott will punch above its weight class, and the Marantz, well it's a marantz... 'nuff said. Oh and you can always send me whichever one you decide you don't like.

Can't decide I thought the Marantz bit but listing to the Scott it's really a great unit ...I'm I wrong?
Ok, seeing that you are new to AK, and the type of question, is not the usual comparison made, since the Marantz 8 cost upwards of 3000 bucks and the 299A is less than a 1000. Also the power tubes for the Marantz are EL34 vs Scott 7189 (EL84). Power output is 35w/chnl vs about 20w for the Scott. Most buyers of the Marantz are collectors with money to burn or guys/gals who inherit the amp from family or friends. One thing for sure, 3000 vs 700 (average costs) , the Marantz will not sound that much better than the Scott. At this price level, McIntosh gear is a fair comparison, although for some reason, Mac never produced an EL34 amp, nudge, nudge, wink , wink.

Don't get me wrong, it IS an awesome amp but i guess i was fortunate enough to audition it without any pressure. That is i did not spend for one and so not really invested but just willing to let its sonic signature do its thing. But when it came down to a careful consideration of all factors, in my system it was not so much better that i wanted to buy it from the seller. My EICO HF89 and a custom made PP UL EL34 made with Dynaco A430 output transformers were sonically similar with slightly different nuances. If you like the particular nuance then it is worth the money.

Last edited:
Ok, seeing that you are new to AK, and the type of question, is not the usual comparison made, since the Marantz 8 cost upwards of 3000 bucks and the 299A is less than a 1000. Also the power tubes for the Marantz are EL34 vs Scott 7189 (EL84). Power output is 35w/chnl vs about 20w for the Scott. Most buyers of the Marantz are collectors with money to burn or guys/gals who inherit the amp from family or friends. One thing for sure, 3000 vs 700 (average costs) , the Marantz will not sound that much better than the Scott. At this price level, McIntosh gear is a fair comparison, although for some reason, Mac never produced an EL34 amp, nudge, nudge, wink , wink.
Only the McIntosh MC225 is considered the SQ rival to the Marantz in the Mac line.

Only the McIntosh MC225 is considered the SQ rival to the Marantz in the Mac line.
What do you mean SQ?
I think some Mac users would beg to differ with that statement.
Come on you Mac heads, Marantz 8 vs your favorite Mac tube amp. What say you?

I did a websearch on comparisons of Mac tube amps to the Marantz 8/ 8B, the MC225 was the popular rival. It's also the the simplest of the unity coupled Mac amps.

You sure bout that? I think most would agree the respective “house” sound might be a little different betw Mac and Marantz but...................

You sure bout that? I think most would agree the respective “house” sound might be a little different betw Mac and Marantz but...................
That is also my take, that generally, the Marantz is classic quality tube sound, Mac leans more to modern tube, bridging the difference to solid state. Otherwise, the simpler circuits can sound more "direct" to the source, if different otherwise.

What do you mean SQ?
I think some Mac users would beg to differ with that statement.
Come on you Mac heads, Marantz 8 vs your favorite Mac tube amp. What say you?

I did a websearch on comparisons of Mac tube amps to the Marantz 8/ 8B, the MC225 was the popular rival. It's also the the simplest of the unity coupled Mac amps.

I believe the comparison of an MC 225 to a Marantz 8B is due to the fact that the 225 would be the most similar sounding vintage Mac tube amp to an 8B. Translation: Most neutral sounding vintage McIntosh.
Best sounding to your ears? Up to you.

The MC 225 is much less colored/toobey sounding than say an MC 30.

A Marantz 8B is a very clean/neutral sounding vintage tube amp imho.
All very nice amps. Like different kinds of ice cream-pick your favorite flavor.

Sorry to the OP for drifting off topic:
If you prefer the sound of the 299A, save yourself a bunch of dough and enjoy the music!

The Marantz is an ultimate aspirational acquisition for tubeophiles with nostalgic cachet, considered by some the sonic touchstone tube amp but at a price nowadays. The magic is top quality output transformers, backed by a solidly engineered and well sorted out circuit topology supported by adequate power supply reserve. Marantz wasn't the only source that met those standards, but build quality and reputation makes them special.

Last edited:
Having owned many Scott 299s and still have one now, it would be the Marantz without question. That +3dB power bump dramatically improves what your future speaker choices might be. There are some speakers that ~14W just aren't going to cut it on but ~35W will. Further, when you push the 299 you will hear it at the edges, it strains when out of its comfort zone. I've never owned an 8B but had one home several times. I should have made more of an effort to get one as it is very hard to find fault in. I definitely would compare it to same era McIntosh as well since both were well engineered and used excellent materials. It's why they still have the rep they do.

In terms of unmodified, as-produced vintage amps- if I couldn't have a HK Citation II, then a Marantz 8B would be the next choice. Probably followed by the Eico HF22, in terms of decreasing cost... all of those are very neutral, uncolored amps that just AMPLIFY in a wonderful fashion...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom