What a way to start 2018. The audio goddess smiled on me the 1st day 2018

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
Was perusing Craig's list this morning and up pops a very clean looking Eico 2536. Jumped on the phone and he answered on the 2nd ring. Told him I would take it(very reasonable not killer but good). He said he just posted it 5 minutes before. Asked a few questions. He said he'd have it hooked up ready to demo. A hour and a half later I was in his basement and I knew he was a good guy and true to his word the Eico was ready to go. He was a fellow collector and had 2 sets of HPM 100's and 40's. Several vintage Marantz and Pioneer receivers all in a well kept listening room. He had the Eico hooked to a Technics TT and a set of woefully abused Warfendales. Have you ever seen drivers painted with speckle spray paint, so sad. Well not the best test speakers but there was no hum and everything works. The topper is the tubes are all original. 4 made in Holland 6BQ5's, Telefunken ECC85 the rest are Mullards made in Gt. Britian 5 7247, 2 6EU7, 1 5AR4, 1 6AL5, 5 6AU7

38729765994_2d72ef086b_h.jpg

39437655981_41048e21ea_h.jpg

27660789499_ae42a3b463_h.jpg

39437660451_3ef4e01b88_h.jpg

39407382702_5fcb5cbe90_h.jpg

those tube shields at the opt's are a nice touch!
Right, i am pretty sure the sheet metal plates separating the tubes from the opt are a custom touch. I have never seen that on an EICO integrated before. Although i have seen it on other amps.
And a big base 5ar4. that is a very very nice tube.

I like the metal shield. This will reduce the hum from transformer coupling. For magnetic coupling, you need thicker metal like this to block the magnetic field. I am surprised seldom you see people do this. This works, the thicker the better.

I looked through a few pictures of 2536's and none had the shields

It must be put on by the former owner, good idea.

Also all the traces are filled with solder!!! I remember I did that also on one of my amp long time ago when I was young. It does not hurt, but not very useful as tube circuits are low current, it's not necessary.

It must be put on by the former owner, good idea.

Also all the traces are filled with solder!!! I remember I did that also on one of my amp long time ago when I was young. It does not hurt, but not very useful as tube circuits are low current, it's not necessary.

It's quite possible EICO used a solder bath rather than one-junction-at-a-time soldering. The flux still there looks like points where assembly wires were connected later.

Solder coated traces were very common in the early days of solder-bath technology,before masking was developed in order to economize on materials and allow closer trace spacing.Also,trace breakage was an ongoing issue in an era where PCB flexing occurred on a regular basis due to heavier components,heat cycling and the changing of tubes.Many manufacturers specified full solder coat as a reliability practice,and this practice can still be seen long after solder masking was developed. It is still used it to increase current carrying capacity and to aid in component heat dissipation.

The ''cartridge style'' construction of the IF and multiplex strips put me in mind of the Harman Kardon Citation III tuner.The single tube FM front end module is seen in the products of many different manufacturers,making me wonder if those were an off-the-shelf item.You really need a good,strong tube in this location for acceptable performance.I do find it odd that they would go to the expense of a four-tube IF strip with that minimalist front end though.

Very nice unit Sanford,and there aren't a lot of them about:) Great start to the new year!

Art

I like the metal shield. This will reduce the hum from transformer coupling. For magnetic coupling, you need thicker metal like this to block the magnetic field. I am surprised seldom you see people do this. This works, the thicker the better.
The shield is mostly to keep the heat away from the transformers. You would be surprised how effective they are at doing that. Actually, not really necessary since the transformers were designed to tolerate the heat. But, every little bit helps.

Last edited:
Also i am not sure if this is a factory build. If i remember correctly, the factory left a "Quality Control by ......." stamp on the top of the chassis with the employee initials who did the final checks or put it together.
I was in an "eico phase" for several years awhile back and got almost every piece they made.

The power switch looks original, most including one I had failed and were replaced with toggles.
Great looking front.

Rivets on the tube sockets = factory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom